Who is from where?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I’d describe Vancouver as the most desirable location in Canada. At least if I was moving North of the US border, this is where I’d aim for. :)
Not Montreal?

I've heard very positive accounts of Canada from people I know who lived, and worked there, for a few years.

And, I was most impressed by the Canadian colleagues with whom I worked on election observation missions, or, (as contributing third party states), with some of the EU missions with whom I have also worked.

I’m originally from Germany, then lived more than a decade in Ireland and have moved to Ontario ( Uxbridge area) a few years ago as my wife is from the GTA and wanted to be home again.

I find myself missing Ireland a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Where were you based in - or, where did you live in, or work in - in Ireland?

I know Ireland pretty well.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m originally from Germany, then lived more than a decade in Ireland and have moved to Ontario ( Uxbridge area) a few years ago as my wife is from the GTA and wanted to be home again.

I find myself missing Ireland a lot.

Ireland is where my wife and I fantasize about moving to if we ever flee the USA. :unsure:

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
Not Montreal?

I've heard very positive accounts of Canada from people I know who lived, and worked there, for a few years.

And, I was most impressed by the Canadian colleagues with whom I worked on election observation missions, or, (as contributing third party states), with some of the EU missions with whom I have also worked.

Where were you based in - or, where did you live in, or work in - in Ireland?

I know Ireland pretty well.

I lived outside of Cork city as I love the countryside. Worked for a fruit company on the outskirts of Cork the entire time and had the pleasure of travelling through Europe, Middle East, Africa and North America a lot.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Ireland is where my wife and I fantasize about moving to if we ever flee the USA. :unsure:
Ireland has transformed (and has been transformed) - for the better - over the course of my life; from being Conservative and Catholic, it is now - genuinely - one of the more liberal places in Europe.
I lived outside of Cork city as I love the countryside. Worked for a fruit company on the outskirts of Cork the entire time and had the pleasure of travelling through Europe, Middle East, Africa and North America a lot.

Cork is wonderful, as is the entire west coast.

in addition to much of the west coast - I'm partial to Kilkenny, Cashel and - of course - Dublin, as well.
Have you been there already? So many lovely spots, especially on the west coast.

Agreed.

The only drawback of the west coast is the weather; it does rain rather frequently.

Last edited:

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
Ireland has transformed in the course of my life; fro being Conservative and Catholic, it is now - genuinely - one of the more liberal places in Europe.

Cork is wonderful, as is the entire west coast.

in addition to much of the west coast - I'm partial to Kilkenny, Cashel and - of course - Dublin, as well.

Agreed.

The only drawback of the west coast is the weather; it does rain rather frequently.

I really enjoy the rougher weather on the coast. Loved to get up early to drive those famous scenic roads like the Ring of Kerry, or spend long hours in Connemara or Dingle.

Cork has that lovely international but still smallish vibe, hard to describe for me.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I really enjoy the rougher weather on the coast. Loved to get up early to drive those famous scenic roads like the Ring of Kerry, or spend long hours in Connemara or Dingle.

Cork has that lovely international but still smallish vibe, hard to describe for me.

The rough weather can be exhilarating, but I loathe that interminable drizzle.

It is what I used to describe (to the laughter of family, friends and colleagues) as, "lying, two faced, Catholic rain," as opposed to, "an honest, Protestant, downpour" - my German, Green (Lutheran by cultural background) sister-in-law thinks it hilarious - (and yes, I have Irish blood; I know this culture and its nuances intimately).

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Have you been there already? So many lovely spots, especially on the west coast.

Yes, a while back we took a car ferry from Wales to central Ireland, and then drove down to Killarney and hung out in the Ring of Kerry, amazingly beautiful. My wife did a little ancestry research. I might be a little concerned about culture shock, but would look forward to giving it a go. :)

9CBEDF76-E188-47B8-AED6-B1A21FD91626.jpeg

Last edited:

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
The rough weather can be exhilarating, but I loathe that interminable drizzle.

It is what I used to describe (to the laughter of family, friends and colleagues) as, "lying, two faced, Catholic rain," as opposed to, "an honest, Protestant, downpour" - my German, Green (Lutheran by cultural background) sister-in-law thinks it hilarious - (and yes, I have Irish blood; I know this culture and its nuances intimately).

We just call that kinda rain "Catskills overcast"... the weather gods and their human forecast relayers seem to think that covers all the bases.

If I were half my age I'd have been living in Nova Scotia for quite awhile by now. Probably over in the Annapolis Valley on the western side though. The weather's pretty much like it is here and so the summers are not excessively hot. Winters I don't mind. The rain, well... that's what books are for and why I have so many of them. I sure went through a pile of them this past summer, we must have got all the rain here in July that the west coast of the USA was looking for.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
We just call that kinda rain "Catskills overcast"
Do you ever get "Seattle Fog"? We finished work about 3am and when I went outside, I saw Lisa gazing rapt at the tiny glittering shards of frozen air flowing through the lights in the parking lot. She was from Sacramento and so had never seen anything like it. Then the rest of the crew came out and started their cars, the clouds of warm exhaust stripping the dancing mist from the air.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Do you ever get "Seattle Fog"? We finished work about 3am and when I went outside, I saw Lisa gazing rapt at the tiny glittering shards of frozen air flowing through the lights in the parking lot. She was from Sacramento and so had never seen anything like it. Then the rest of the crew came out and started their cars, the clouds of warm exhaust stripping the dancing mist from the air.

I've heard of that, don't they call it pogonip or something like that? Here we sometimes get ice fog but that's a different critter...

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
We just call that kinda rain "Catskills overcast"... the weather gods and their human forecast relayers seem to think that covers all the bases.

If I were half my age I'd have been living in Nova Scotia for quite awhile by now. Probably over in the Annapolis Valley on the western side though. The weather's pretty much like it is here and so the summers are not excessively hot. Winters I don't mind. The rain, well... that's what books are for and why I have so many of them. I sure went through a pile of them this past summer, we must have got all the rain here in July that the west coast of the USA was looking for.
My brother went to grad school in Nova Scotia and would have stayed there if they had let him.

sgtaylor5

Power User
Reaction score
I live on the eastern side of Washington State close to Idaho, which is dry for the most part because of the Cascades mountain range. The only times we get rain is in the winter when the storms from the Pacific are stronger, so they have the ability to preserve their moisture over the mountains. I grew up in a small town in the middle of the eastern vertical third of the state, and we get 7 to 14 inches of rain a year. Big drylands wheat farming region. North of Spokane, the elevation is higher and we get more rain than where I grew up.

Wenatchee is right on the eastern slope of the Cascades, and they have more than 300 days of sunshine a year and almost no rain at all. Their water comes from the Columbia river, which flows south there.

The Rockies are in Northern Idaho, so they get much more rain than we do.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I live on the eastern side of Washington State close to Idaho, which is dry for the most part because of the Cascades mountain range. The only times we get rain is in the winter when the storms from the Pacific are stronger, so they have the ability to preserve their moisture over the mountains. I grew up in a small town in the middle of the eastern vertical third of the state, and we get 7 to 14 inches of rain a year. Big drylands wheat farming region. North of Spokane, the elevation is higher and we get more rain than where I grew up.

Wenatchee is right on the eastern slope of the Cascades, and they have more than 300 days of sunshine a year and almost no rain at all. Their water comes from the Columbia river, which flows south there.

The Rockies are in Northern Idaho, so they get much more rain than we do.
I was really was really enamored with Washington State. As a student pilot once flew a low level from Oregon up to Whidbey Island and it was amazing, felt, almost magical, starting in the foothills flying up into the mountains at 200’, then spent some time at the instructor’s parents house in Concrete, Washington. Later had friends stationed on Whidbey Island. If I had been a West Coast kind of person, it would of been a contender for me to live there.

Sorry for turning the post in this direction, but the entire West Coast of the US is special, yet California strikes me as paradise lost as does much of the country due to basically uncontrolled development for economical reasons. Every special place is trashed for $$$, as they pave paradise. :oops:

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was really was really enamored with Washington State. As a student pilot once flew a low level from Oregon up to Whidbey Island and it was amazing, felt, almost magical, starting in the foothills flying up into the mountains at 200’, then spent some time at the instructor’s parents house in Concrete, Washington. Later had friends stationed on Whidbey Island. If I had been a West Coast kind of person, it would of been a contender for me to live there.

Sorry for turning the post in this direction, but the entire West Coast of the US is special, yet California strikes me as paradise lost as does much of the country due to basically uncontrolled development for economical reasons. Every special place is trashed for $$$, as they pave paradise. :oops:
I was stationed on Whidbey when I was in the Navy. Very special time for me, also quite taken with WA. If we got sick of New England somehow, I'd set my sights that way.

Top Bottom
1 2