Why are gas prices so high (and why do they keep climbing)?

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
It’s now over £100 to fill my car now. Journeys are now scrutinised on whether they are needed. £1.87 a litre in my nearest garage and the government are taking more than £50 in tax every time I fill my car up.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
It’s now over £100 to fill my car now. Journeys are now scrutinised on whether they are needed. £1.87 a litre in my nearest garage and the government are taking more than £50 in tax every time I fill my car up.
Most of my regular errands are within a square mile and even with that short distance I still try to plan the most efficient route and order and in some cases put off the trip to the following week. All of this also means less money going into the local economy. All driven by a greedy non-free market planet killing industry.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
It’s only going to get worse. My advice, fill up often. As the price is likely to only get worse.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
My brother, who is a staunch Trump supporter and hates Biden, is losing his mind over these prices because he has to tow a boat for a fishing guide business. He's constantly raging to anyone who will listen, most of which have blocked him. One thing I'll never get about the Trump people is how angry and out of touch with reality they are.

To give any president, I don't care if it's Trump, Obama, whoever, that much power over you to the point it is ruining your life is beyond me. Yes, gas prices are high everywhere and Biden is in charge so he'll naturally take the hit. We couldn't write off nearly as much in office expenses when Trump was in office and ended up paying way more as a result. These things suck, but it doesn't ruin your life unless you let it.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
My brother, who is a staunch Trump supporter and hates Biden, is losing his mind over these prices because he has to tow a boat for a fishing guide business. He's constantly raging to anyone who will listen, most of which have blocked him. One thing I'll never get about the Trump people is how angry and out of touch with reality they are.

To give any president, I don't care if it's Trump, Obama, whoever, that much power over you to the point it is ruining your life is beyond me. Yes, gas prices are high everywhere and Biden is in charge so he'll naturally take the hit. We couldn't write off nearly as much in office expenses when Trump was in office and ended up paying way more as a result. These things suck, but it doesn't ruin your life unless you let it.

One of my best friends' brother is the same. Trump supporter....rages to anyone that will listen. She said the other day he was at the pump bitching about it and being crazy to the guy pumping on the other side of him. The guy told him to stop talking to him lol. Why is this nut bag raging to people he doesn't even know? SMH This is the same guy that asked Black people in a gun store if they were there to buy guns for their BLM rally. He's a nut bag.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
One of my best friends' brother is the same. Trump supporter....rages to anyone that will listen. She said the other day he was at the pump bitching about it and being crazy to the guy pumping on the other side of him. The guy told him to stop talking to him lol. Why is this nut bag raging to people he doesn't even know? SMH This is the same guy that asked Black people in a gun store if they were there to buy guns for their BLM rally. He's a nut bag.
I get that Trump's their guy or whatever but it's the whole ramming it down your throat thing. On FB he demanded that anyone who voted for Biden unfriend him lol so he has no family left and just a few other really angry friends remain. I even told him to stop texting me his rants or I'll block him, he just doesn't have an off button and I worry about his health being that angry all the time.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I get that Trump's their guy or whatever but it's the whole ramming it down your throat thing. On FB he demanded that anyone who voted for Biden unfriend him lol so he has no family left and just a few other really angry friends remain. I even told him to stop texting me his rants or I'll block him, he just doesn't have an off button and I worry about his health being that angry all the time.

What was he like before Trump?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
What was he like before Trump?
Less angry but still angry, like all other Trump supporters he was a total A hole about it, even after his guy won. I'll never get those people but one thing they all seem to have in commons is they don't give a shit about anyone or anything besides themselves.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Less angry but still angry, like all other Trump supporters he was a total A hole about it, even after his guy won. I'll never get those people but one thing they all seem to have in commons is they don't give a shit about anyone or anything besides themselves.

Luckily most of the Trump supporters I am aware of know to largely zip-it on the subject. Perhaps on some level that might mean they aren't really a true Trump supporter. Being a loudmouthed asshole is usually demanded. We have a few customers who come into my work all fired up on Trump rhetoric.

What I find the most annoying and disturbing about these people is using any and all opportunity to launch into a fit. Do they honestly believe everybody they run into wants to hear it? Most of us have issues, especially of the mental health variety, but we're not going to just start going into it with everybody who is unfortunate enough to be within earshot. I know bottling things up isn't healthy but it appears using the exact opposite tactic isn't yielding positive results either. They're never done blowing the lines out.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
The ”pain at the pump” is a real thing. It is sad because this possibility could be seen decades ago. But our “leaders” always deferred to the fossil fuel industry.

I can’t necessarily be angry at millions of people for buying SUVs with 20 or less MPG because gas was so cheap before. Human nature is what it is. We can be selfish and foolish beings, don‘t care about the environment, assume gas will be cheap forever, etc.

Our leaders are supposed to be better than that. Unfortunately, they haven’t been. Propping up the fossil fuel industries, unsustainable urban planning, blocking renewable energy plans, etc.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Luckily most of the Trump supporters I am aware of know to largely zip-it on the subject. Perhaps on some level that might mean they aren't really a true Trump supporter. Being a loudmouthed asshole is usually demanded. We have a few customers who come into my work all fired up on Trump rhetoric.

What I find the most annoying and disturbing about these people is using any and all opportunity to launch into a fit. Do they honestly believe everybody they run into wants to hear it? Most of us have issues, especially of the mental health variety, but we're not going to just start going into it with everybody who is unfortunate enough to be within earshot. I know bottling things up isn't healthy but it appears using the exact opposite tactic isn't yielding positive results either. They're never done blowing the lines out.
During Trump's presidency I never said single a word about him or his policies to my brother. It's one thing to bitch here where you are around like-minded people but I've never been one to directly attack a person for who they support, it's just a shitty thing to do. I do know a couple of Trump supporters who are good about it and we just avoid political talk all together, something I'm always happy to do. However, by and large it's more the exception than the rule with them, most are part of an angry mob.

Last edited:

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score

Yeah, my best friend said she told her brother that she loves him, but she doesn't like him. He has become totally unhinged. She said at Easter they had to tell him to stop bringing up politics because he was going around the house asking everyone who they voted for. He will ask random strangers around town who they voted for. All he does is watch Fox News. This is what you get when Fox News radicalizes and scares everyone.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
During Trump's presidency I never said single a word about him or his policies to my brother. It's one thing to bitch here where you are around like-minded people but I've never been one to directly attack a person for who they support, it's just a shitty thing to do. I do know a couple of Trump supporters who are good about it and we just avoid political talk all together, something I'm always happy to do. However, by and large it's more the exception than the rule with them, most are part of an angry mob.

I can understand having beliefs and supporting a group, but Trump specifically?? He has absolute zero redeeming qualities. I don’t even want to know why anymore. It’s usually met with some generic response that could easily be applied to millions of other people. “He’s a great American”. WTF does that even mean? Either they can’t tell you or it’s based on some easily disproven mythology. Trump is the patron saint of the easily manipulated. On paper he’s everything his supporters should be raging against, unless you are a white supremacist, then yeah, he’s your guy.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I can understand having beliefs and supporting a group, but Trump specifically?? He has absolute zero redeeming qualities. I don’t even want to know why anymore. It’s usually met with some generic response that could easily be applied to millions of other people. “He’s a great American”. WTF does that even mean? Either they can’t tell you or it’s based on some easily disproven mythology. Trump is the patron saint of the easily manipulated. On paper he’s everything his supporters should be raging against, unless you are a white supremacist, then yeah, he’s your guy.
Saying you love Trump is a more positive spin than saying you hate Mexicans, Muslims, black people, Etc. But it’s the same thing. Talk to anybody who “loves” him for more than a minute and they’ll show you who they really are. Not saying every Trump voter “loves“ him, but the crowd that loves him and is obsessed with him is at least 99% KKK members without the hoods.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
The other problem is that nobody loves Joe the Preaident. Most of us prefer him over the ceaseless ClusterTrump, but even I do not partiularly like him. He is way too conservative for these difficult times – but the D Party refuses to allow someone less conservative, so Joe will be followed by some far-white regressive crazyperson who will drive the country to utter collapse.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
The other problem is that nobody loves Joe the Preaident. Most of us prefer him over the ceaseless ClusterTrump, but even I do not partiularly like him. He is way too conservative for these difficult times – but the D Party refuses to allow someone less conservative, so Joe will be followed by some far-white regressive crazyperson who will drive the country to utter collapse.

I heard a conservative recently say if the Republicans retake Congress they "need to neuter the Biden agenda". What agenda? Moderate extremism? At this point he's just flailing around trying to give token gestures to the demographics polls are saying he is losing. That should keep him busy though because he's pretty much lost most demographics except maybe "Comfortably retired old white people who don't like to hear a lot of fuss and don't think they are the master race."

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I can’t necessarily be angry at millions of people for buying SUVs with 20 or less MPG because gas was so cheap before. Human nature is what it is. We can be selfish and foolish beings, don‘t care about the environment, assume gas will be cheap forever, etc.
You are probably one of the few. Every time I see a comment wondering how all these people with monster trucks like paying $6 for diesel, I just think that they are going to be in for a shock when the prices of goods that move by diesel (pretty much everything) go up and they have no choice but to pay it. I can raise my prices to compensate, but most can't.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
He has absolute zero redeeming qualities.

The one quality I liked the most in him was that he fought back. That is something no Republican has really done since Reagan. He did not let the press dictate what he said or did.

Was he an ass, sure. But so is Biden the minute you challenge him with a question he doesn't like.

Trump was what people on the right had long for, and that was someone who wasn't afraid of the media. Would we have preferred it in a different package, sure. But it was what we got.

Top Bottom
1 2