Why are gas prices so high (and why do they keep climbing)?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Car companies dragging their heels on building/selling EVs are missing out big-time right now. We are a decade behind where we should be with EV adoption, infrastructure, etc.

I imagine gas prices will drop and stabilize in a couple months. But if people remember this spike next time they need to buy a car, an EV could move to the top of their options.

I think you're right on, BTT many of these companies (many who are being more reactive) get their products to market, gas will likely have trickled down a bit, but it will stick in people's heads. Plus, the next major iteration will see some major improvements with everything: price, range, charging speed, etc.

FWIW, we just did ~370 miles for ~$18 and about half the trip was on a higher cost DCFC (Supercharger).

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
We used a level 2 for the first time at UCLA (there's only a handful of level 2 chargers throughout campus - with a 4 hour limit - but at least they're free). Rest are just 20amp outlets that charge at 6mi/hr (lots of those). Was really cool to see 40amps (~30mi/hr). We went from 60% to 97% in about 3 hours.

Would love to see more of those around. Can only imagine what that's like having one of those at home too.

On our drive in at 7:30am - the costco gas line was out the door already. :( Just amazing. People have got to be getting tired of that. I know we were (that's why we got our EV).

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
It’s still £1.67 a litre near me despite the cost of crude oil coming down below £100 a barrel. Questions are being asked of our government who appear to be dodging all answers. We pay 57% tax on that £1.67. It’s driving the cost of living up massively and is clearly a recuperation exercise at motorists expense.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
It’s still £1.67 a litre near me despite the cost of crude oil coming down below £100 a barrel. Questions are being asked of our government who appear to be dodging all answers. We pay 57% tax on that £1.67. It’s driving the cost of living up massively and is clearly a recuperation exercise at motorists expense.
Governments should have windfall profit taxes for cases like this. If a company cranks up prices and it results in absurd profits, 90% of that should go back to the country.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Trouble is as more people go electric, they will not want to reduce the tax. They are already loosing out on road tax.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Trouble is as more people go electric, they will not want to reduce the tax. They are already loosing out on road tax.
Around here, they talk about finding ways to tax EV drivers to provide money for road maintenance (currently supported by a gas tax).

I would imagine they could impose a tax on use of public chargers, and maybe increase taxes on people’s home electricity to make up for the lost gas tax revenue… or any of the ideas in the above article.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Yep. A mileage tax or charging tax will be implemented at some point.
I read about this. It seems complicated to implement. I personally dislike it because I don’t want my driving tracked… does anybody? EVs run on electricity, just tax that if you need to tax something.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I read about this. It seems complicated to implement. I personally dislike it because I don’t want my driving tracked… does anybody? EVs run on electricity, just tax that if you need to tax something.

I would be OK with a simple mileage tax, but only if done in aggregate. For example, when you register your car for the year, you enter the mileage and then pay based on that. But, no I certainly don't want to be tracked, at least not anymore than we already are.

And yes, a simple tax on the electricity would be the easiest.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Scott Pressler, the gay Republican activist, is holding voter registration drives at, ................wait for it..........................

Gas Stations.

That is freaking Brilliant.
First question I would ask him is what is his plan to reduce prices, then I would ask him if it would work in every other nation on the planet, then I would ask him how that's all Joe Biden's fault. If he could answer all of that clearly I would agree he's brilliant.

Additionally, it would be nice if we could all get to the point that we didn't have to point out one's sexuality to make a point that would be great. He is Scott Pressier, Republican. No harm is presenting him that way.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
First question I would ask him is what is his plan to reduce prices, then I would ask him if it would work in every other nation on the planet, then I would ask him how that's all Joe Biden's fault. If he could answer all of that clearly I would agree he's brilliant.

Additionally, it would be nice if we could all get to the point that we didn't have to point out one's sexuality to make a point that would be great. He is Scott Pressier, Republican. No harm is presenting him that way.

I agree it's not all Biden's fault. But certainly a large percentage of the population are blaming him so why not use that?

As for him being a gay Republican, yes it would be nice to not have to point it out. But until the left stops referring to gay Republicans as a "perverse phenomenon" caused by "Delusion, Denial and Blinded by Privilege." They also do the same with any Black Republican who dares step off the "plantation" as well. So yes it would be nice, but until the left accepts that not everyone fits inside their little box, it isn't going to happen.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I agree it's not all Biden's fault. But certainly a large percentage of the population are blaming him so why not use that?

As for him being a gay Republican, yes it would be nice to not have to point it out. But until the left stops referring to gay Republicans as a "perverse phenomenon" caused by "Delusion, Denial and Blinded by Privilege." They also do the same with any Black Republican who dares step off the "plantation" as well. So yes it would be nice, but until the left accepts that not everyone fits inside their little box, it isn't going to happen.
Ah, it’s the Democrats’ fault that so few gay people vote Republican.

And you actually did NOT have to point it out. You chose to. I can understand why: the GOP is so unpopular with the LGBTQ community that a gay Republican is quite rare.

And why are you tossing out statements about black people? Not sure that has anything to do with this discussion, other than it’s a demographic which votes for the GOP in even lower numbers than the LGBTQ community.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

You must be reaching deep for these people from "the left" because I've never heard a single person make such insane statements. I'm going to to out on a limb here and assume Fox News put you up to that but in the real world it's pretty laughable.

As for gas prices, the sitting president will always take the blame. It's a good time to be a Republican right now.

In the end though I hope this drives a desire to get off of fossil fuels and embrace clean energy.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
You must be reaching deep for these people from "the left" because I've never heard a single person make such insane statements. I'm going to to out on a limb here and assume Fox News put you up to that but in the real world it's pretty laughable.

Sorry to disappoint, but not FoxNews. How about the Washington Blade, America's LGBTQ News Source.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Sorry to disappoint, but not FoxNews. How about the Washington Blade, America's LGBTQ News Source.

Yes but you're the one making the qualifier for this event, which has nothing to do with his sexuality. You're making a point that he's a "gay activist Republican" as if THAT is what makes him so special here.

Let's ask this way, if he were just "a Republican" fundraising, would you have called it out?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

Are you accusing the LGBTQ news source of being from “the left” right after saying that being gay doesn’t have to do with being from the left or right? The piece is actually somewhat positive towards past “Log Cabin” Republicans, but decries the current ones to be failures in promoting LGBTQ issues within the party. The piece doesn’t seem to be a left vs right thing, but more an exhortation for LGBTQ politicians to advocate for the LGBTQ community within their chosen party.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score

I think the approach to electric vehicles is very much in the honeymoon period as the drive for cleaner energy is winning votes at the moment. It’ll be just as expensive to run electric vehicles in the coming years as the government are not going to kiss goodbye to the hundreds of billions in revenue that easily. The country couldn’t afford it either and the money to build the fast charge infrastructure needs to come from somewhere.

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
Around here, they talk about finding ways to tax EV drivers to provide money for road maintenance (currently supported by a gas tax).

I would imagine they could impose a tax on use of public chargers, and maybe increase taxes on people’s home electricity to make up for the lost gas tax revenue… or any of the ideas in the above article.

We currently pay for road maintenance here via our council tax. The funding for the police also comes from it or partially.

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
Gas stations (at least here in CA) are usually super crowded - I can't imagine trying to do a rally at one. Even the ones across USA (I used to drive a lot) - don't seem like great places for a rally, lol. :p

Top Bottom
1 2