Widespread AT&T outage

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Notably this is occurring at a time where AT&T is trying to get out of its obligation to provide landlines to any willing customer, at least in California.

I had an hour long conversation last week with an AT&T tech who was waiting for his supervisor. He came over to ask me whether I knew anything about fiber availability on the neighborhood. Turns out they sent him out to hook up my neighbor with fiber, but he couldn’t find the fiber hookup that was supposed to be there. I told him that, three years ago, when ATT came and was about to tear up our private cul de sac,the homeowners’ association chased them off because it would have cost us 20k to properly resurface the drive. So there were no fiber hookups. (I can get fiber myself but it would mean a wire from the pole across the street - all my other wires are buried, so I don’t want the ugliness). They had sent him out to switch the neighbors to fiber so they can deactivate the copper POT network in the area. His supervisor didn’t believe him that there were no hookups, so he was waiting on my driveway for the supervisor to come out and see for himself.

Anyway, he was telling me that ATT routinely lies about fiber availability and promised speeds. For example, even though they send me solicitations saying they can provide 5Gb speeds, the network equipment in the area only supports 1/5 that.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Notably this is occurring at a time where AT&T is trying to get out of its obligation to provide landlines to any willing customer, at least in California.

I had an hour long conversation last week with an AT&T tech who was waiting for his supervisor. He came over to ask me whether I knew anything about fiber availability on the neighborhood. Turns out they sent him out to hook up my neighbor with fiber, but he couldn’t find the fiber hookup that was supposed to be there. I told him that, three years ago, when ATT came and was about to tear up our private cul de sac,the homeowners’ association chased them off because it would have cost us 20k to properly resurface the drive. So there were no fiber hookups. (I can get fiber myself but it would mean a wire from the pole across the street - all my other wires are buried, so I don’t want the ugliness). They had sent him out to switch the neighbors to fiber so they can deactivate the copper POT network in the area. His supervisor didn’t believe him that there were no hookups, so he was waiting on my driveway for the supervisor to come out and see for himself.

Anyway, he was telling me that ATT routinely lies about fiber availability and promised speeds. For example, even though they send me solicitations saying they can provide 5Gb speeds, the network equipment in the area only supports 1/5 that.
We had the ATT guy come to our newly built neighborhood and he ran cable and hooked us up to their main hub a couple of blocks away as you've described but it was all underground and we have no overhead wires, so I guess we were lucky in that sense. Happy to have it, we've had really good luck with them in our last two homes.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Not only AT&T, but Verizon and T-Mobile users are experiencing them as well, but not nearly as widespread.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
That explains why I had to turn WiFi on when I got out to the patio for my morning news and cacao. I even rebooted my iPad!

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Sonic is working fine this morning. Supposedly they tap into AT&T's fiber backbone.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Looks like it’s only affecting AT&T’s wireless stuff.

After wading though the news on this ignoring the End of the World panic or space weather, it looks like it may be a Sim registration issue.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
I feel for the poor sysadmin that probably put in a change last night. Unfortunately it is also a bad day for me as well. Being in the IT Network team, I have had to explain a few times that we do not control or have influence with regards to AT&T cellular network. A lot of folks are just ignorant on how miraculous the internet and network communications is.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
I feel for the poor sysadmin that probably put in a change last night. Unfortunately it is also a bad day for me as well. Being in the IT Network team, I have had to explain a few times that we do not control or have influence with regards to AT&T cellular network. A lot of folks are just ignorant on how miraculous the internet and network communications is.

I'm not in IT myself, but the team I am currently on includes rotations of handling customer escalations to engineering. One common thing we run into is customers that bring up issues demanding fixes from engineering for errors or performance while the logs very clearly show that their network is the culprit (failed requests that never reach the server, network going offline and online repeatedly, pings that are really high). So I know the feeling.

Top Bottom
1 2