WTF, Tennessee?!

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m not offended by drag queen story hour but also don’t get it. I don’t think it existed when I was a kid. If people want to dress up in outfits and costumes and read books to kids that’s fine but I don’t know why they have to label it "drag queen". That term has a long history that’s the farthest thing from reading books to kids (that I’m aware of). Why is this a thing all of a sudden? The right has a well established history of finding isolated incidents and then saying "and this is happening all over the country". This seems to be the rare situation where they are actually right. Again, not offended. Just don’t know why it’s a thing.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
It isn't that simple. It isn't about drag queen story hour, but kids are attending sexually explicit drag shows.
Several things are becoming clear here, the most important is that you’ve never been to a drag show. I’ve been to many. It’s an art form I really appreciate. Drag shows are by nature, not explicit. The entire point is that they are men staying in character as women. Maybe if you can drop the prejudice for an hour, you could go see one. I promise you won’t come out any worse than you already are.

The other thing that I see you repeating is that kids are being dragged (pardon the pun) to drag shows. Seriously? When my kids were little I wouldn’t waste the price of admission on a movie I knew they wouldn’t enjoy. Live theater? At night? Ruining a good time with the grownups? Don’t make me laugh.

Drag queen story hour is not a drag show. In fact, it’s no different than sitting on Santa’s lap…well, except that children often scream and cry when dragged to see Santa. Ditto the Easter Bunny. A sane person sees this.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The Tennessee House of Representatives today voted to allow government discrimination against interracial and same sex marriages. Republican assurances that cases like Loving v. Virginia and Lawrence v. Texas were safe after the Dobbs decision were just shot to Hell.

The Bill amends Tennessee Code 36-3-301 to state that no person shall be required to solemnize a marriage if it contradicts what they believe. I urge you to read Tennessee Code 36-3-301. It is a list of persons authorized to solemnize marriages in Tennessee. It includes court and municipal judges and county clerks.
So under the bill passed by the House if two people, let’s just call them Ginni (who is white) and Clarence (who is black), show up at a county clerk’s office seeking to marry this government official may refuse to do so because in their conscience or religious conviction a black person marrying a white person is wrong.

Could that sort of thing happen in a state where the legislature just expelled two young black men, but not the identically charged white woman? The state where a Republican legislator recently called for a return of lynching because it would be a cheap means of execution?

That this just happened in 21st Century America at all is appalling.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
The Tennessee House of Representatives today voted to allow government discrimination against interracial and same sex marriages.

I would love to see an actual copy of the Bill. Sorry but the right looks at the Daily Kos similar to how the left looks at NewsMax.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I would love to see an actual copy of the Bill. Sorry but the right looks at the Daily Kos similar to how the left looks at NewsMax.
still 10 times more honest then newsmax.

SENATE BILL 596
By Pody
HOUSE BILL 878
By Fritts
HB0878
- 1 -
AN ACT to amend Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 4; Title 29 and Title 36, relative to solemnization of marriage.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE:
SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 36-3-301, is amended by adding the following as a new subsection:
(m) A person shall not be required to solemnize a marriage if the person has an objection to solemnizing the marriage based on the person's conscience or religious beliefs.
SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon becoming a law, the public welfare requiring it.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I would love to see a black clerk or judge refuse to mary a white couple. you would kiss that law goodbye in 5 seconds.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Racist Tennessee Republicans who made racist vote are now mad that they're being pegged as racists.

Assuming some aren’t complete racists and are just partisan hacks, I bet after the votes revealed that the 2 black members got expelled and the white woman didn’t more than a few thought “Ohhhh shit, that’s not going to look good.” That's when it's time for some soul-searching outside your bubble.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
I bet after the votes revealed that the 2 black members got expelled and the white woman didn’t more than a few thought “Ohhhh shit, that’s not going to look good.”
They are Republicans. The Reagan doctrine, never speak ill of a fellow Republican, has naturally transmuted into shut up and do as you are told. Thinking is for tem subversive elitist sciency types who want to teach evolution and, worse, sex education. The world needs more ignorance.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Assuming some aren’t complete racists and are just partisan hacks, I bet after the votes revealed that the 2 black members got expelled and the white woman didn’t more than a few thought “Ohhhh shit, that’s not going to look good.” That's when it's time for some soul-searching outside your bubble.
Go ahead and assume. They're patently racist, may want to listen to the audio from the link I shared as they're also batshit crazy with rage. These people sound like they're ready to storm the capitol again.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Go ahead and assume. They're patently racist, may want to listen to the audio from the link I shared as they're also batshit crazy with rage. These people sound like they're ready to storm the capitol again.

It sounds like the rage is aimed at not blanket blocking or stopping Democrats at all costs and by not doing so introduced the third rail of racism they now have to confront. I’m not saying they aren’t packed with racists. I’m saying I’m open to the possibility that not every single member is racist. I think it’s just as horrifying that they’re completely ignoring the cause and the point of the protest. Kids getting shot up is completely off their outrage radar. To them just being a Democrat is substantially worse than that.

At this point we’re going to have pick a state, wall it off, and turn it into a mental health detention center for all these disconnected, unhinged dystopian fantasy land nutters. And sorry, but it will be a gun free zone which will probably greatly increase the length of their stay just trying to wrap their head around that.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
At this point we’re going to have pick a state, wall it off, and turn it into a mental health detention center for all these disconnected, unhinged dystopian fantasy land nutters. And sorry, but it will be a gun free zone which will probably greatly increase the length of their stay just trying to wrap their head around that.

Can we start with California? ;) 🤣

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
California doesn't even crack the top ten mass shooting sites, try again.

And if we want to talk about mental health, Republicans aren't doing shit to address the problem. At this point, they've made it their mission to make certain the mentally ill have as easy access to assault weapons as possible.

If you all spent a fraction of the effort you're putting into anti-trans legislation towards protecting children from getting slaughtered in schools we would have some progress. At this point the party is basically full of domestic terrorists, or at least sympathizers and enablers.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
At this point, they've made it their mission to make certain the mentally ill have as easy access to assault weapons as possible.

To be more precise, it appears, for all intents and purposes, that the Rs/RWers prefer to view mental illness/depression as a moral failing. It is much easier to criticize people for being immoral, then we can just say that they are bad and put them in prison. Trying to deal with issues beyond their control is just too fraught. And if they shot up the place because they were psychotic, well, they should have got help from jesus before it got out of hand, but, al last this way, we can blame them rather ths deal with the actual issue.

Last edited:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

To be fair many of us would be fine with walling off the state from the rest of the country to focus on mental health in a gun free zone (And we’ll make Nevada pay for the wall!), but those living in the valley and above SF probably wouldn’t be happy about it. Maybe we can do a resident swap with Texas where they can wall off their state and mandate that everybody needs to be armed at all times and consume at least 2 hours of media a day focusing on how everybody is coming for them.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
To be fair many of us would be fine with walling off the state from the rest of the country to focus on mental health in a gun free zone (And we’ll make Nevada pay for the wall!), but those living in the valley and above SF probably wouldn’t be happy about it. Maybe we can do a resident swap with Texas where they can wall off their state and mandate that everybody needs to be armed at all times and consume at least 2 hours of media a day focusing on how everybody is coming for them.

You might find this funny. Not sure anyone else will.

It is a 5-part series.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
As we seem to be putting the hurt on Tennessee, this kinda fits,

A Tennessee Air National Guardsman has been arrested by the FBI after allegedly applying to be an assassin on satirical website "Rent-a-Hitman". Josiah Ernesto Garcia, 21, said he needed the money to support his family …

The site was originally set up in 2005 to advertise a cybersecurity start-up. It failed and later turned into a parody site with options to apply to work as a hired killer.

The FBI alleges that in mid-February, Mr Garcia sent in his CV - which highlights his "military experience, and rifle expertise". The resume also indicated that Mr Garcia was nicknamed "Reaper" … When there was no response to his application, Mr Garcia allegedly followed up with the site, who responded to Mr Garcia at the direction of the FBI … The federal police agency claims he agreed to kill an individual for $5,000

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

Short version:
GOP leader, who voted to expel TN Three, resigns; found guilty of sexually harassing interns

Rep. Scotty Campbell resigned about six hours after NewsChannel 5 confronted him about sexual harassment allegations

Top Bottom
1 2