WWDC 2021

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
The one thing I was really hoping for was an external display at native resolution. maybe current iPads simply do not have the GPU wired up to be able to provide the higher resolution output, i.e., it's hardware, not software.

The both ways / all ways with AirPlay / UC, i.e., any peripheral, display on any device is pretty fantastic. This also kills a few 3rd party apps that provided things like AirPlay __to__ a Mac (AirParrot comes to mind).
That's why I am wondering if someone clever will figure out a work around of sorts to simulate that. That's kind of what the harder core iPad people have done, found work arounds that allow them to do what they want.

We have Sidecar, I don't believe I heard it was going away. So I wonder what this does along with that?

I'm wondering if someone is going to find a way to simulate full screen using universal and / or side car.

This insistence that in other areas the iPad has to act like a Macbook to be professional, is still missing the point of Apple wants you to buy both, if not three Apple computer products. They are not going to sell you a replacement. Universal literally demonstrates that thinking.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I really dug on the, let's call it, "future promise" of things like IDs on an iPhone, hotel keys, very cool. Future as in, even when the OS is live, it'll take companies / orgs / states a while to adopt it.

The other day I left my wallet at home when I ran up to the grocery (it wasn't unpacked from our trip), but had my iPhone and Watch, was able to pay no problem, really the only issue would've been getting stopped, I'm looking forward to the day when a phone can sub in for that little card and wallet.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I did like that idea of having my driver's license right on my iPhone and iPad -- and of course if the iPhone or iPad gets lost, stolen or simply broken, as the original driver's license is still safe at home. The only thing is that again a thief, if he or she were savvy enough to actually get into the iPhone's content and find the information that could be misused...... just as it would if a thief steals someone's wallet with their driver's license, other ID and their debit/credit cards. However, it is becoming less and less likely that a thief could get past someone's Face ID and passcode in order to view the contents of their phone, so the iPhone is still a safer way to carry one's ID around than a wallet.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
I'm glad I don't care to have the latest and greatest ipad all of the time. My 2020 will serve me for several more years. I'll hold it until it dies.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
wow, apple really upped the ante with facetime.
This was the biggie for me since my brother and sister-in-law (and husband) refuse to get off that Android train, even though everyone else in the family is on iOS. It will be nice to include them in chats now by just sending them a link and forcing everyone to use some other app.

Live text looks fantastic too.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
wow, apple really upped the ante with facetime.

Yeah, they really pushed into the Zoom-like feature set with scheduling, web based client, all sorts of app/screen share.

I really liked the "Shared by" idea, where the shared content gets sort of pushed into the proper app space, so you can look at it, saved, etc., later.

U

User.45

This was the biggie for me since my brother and sister-in-law (and husband) refuse to get off that Android train, even though everyone else in the family is on iOS. It will be nice to include them in chats now by just sending them a link and forcing everyone to use some other app.

Honestly if I weren't a troglodyte, I'd still use android. But I'm a Mac guy and the level of integration with MacOS means I don't have to deal with touch screens 95% of the time. I like facetime a lot...It's actually HIPAA compliant (tech-wise, you'd still need a HIPAA contract to use it).

tranceking26

Power User
Reaction score
Just watched WWDC and to be honest not enough things appealed to me, so I won't be updating iOS, watchOS or macOS.

But the good news is I won't argue or complain about it, I'm just going to watch and see if they all improve over time.

The best update of the lot was the iPad one, but I don't have an iPad.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
My only wish nobody is talking about. Allow some video storage on an Apple TV. They certainly have the drive space now. You don't realize how much Apple product's communication relies on WiFi until you don't have access to it. Video AirPlay requiring WiFi should be ridiculed mercilessly.

U

User.45

My only wish nobody is talking about. Allow some video storage on an Apple TV. They certainly have the drive space now. You don't realize how much Apple product's communication relies on WiFi until you don't have access to it. Video AirPlay requiring WiFi should be ridiculed mercilessly.
It can use BT for that too:p

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

Didn't get a chance to watch, what's this new FT feature?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

There's several, some are integrated with the new SharePlay, which lets you do FT on top of a video stream, and it has an open API, so 3rd party streaming services can use it. There's a new scheduling/invite system, kind of like Zoom, but you can invite people __without__ iOS devices, and they get a link that can be used through a browser.

U

User.191

Shareables: share music, videos, pictures etc. The idea is that you connect the services with the people. Want a movie night? Share the movie and watch together over an iDevice (or even, apparently, the web).

What I didn’t grok was if everyone needed the corresponding service to receive said item…

U

User.191

There's several, some are integrated with the new SharePlay, which lets you do FT on top of a video stream, and it has an open API, so 3rd party streaming services can use it. There's a new scheduling/invite system, kind of like Zoom, but you can invite people __without__ iOS devices, and they get a link that can be used through a browser.
I can see the first thing on your list will be to share your shiny metal ass over FaceTime…
:cool:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
What I didn’t grok was if everyone needed the corresponding service to receive said item…

This was from an article on Tech Crunch:

The company announced a set of launch partners for SharePlay, including Disney+, Hulu, HBO Max, NBA, Twitch, TikTok, MasterClass, ESPN+, Paramount+ and Pluto TV. It’s also making an API available to developers so they can integrate their own apps with SharePlay. This can include other interactive apps, like collaborative whiteboards, for instance — not just audio or video.

What’s interesting about this API integration is that the content access will be up to the apps. While an app like Disney+ would require both users to be subscribers, other developers may choose to allow access for the other person if they prefer.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Shareables: share music, videos, pictures etc. The idea is that you connect the services with the people. Want a movie night? Share the movie and watch together over an iDevice (or even, apparently, the web).

Nice! I have that watch together feature on my Plex server as well, haven't really had a use for it but it's still cool.

Top Bottom
1 2