WWDC 2021

U

User.191

Is there a collection of more self entitled asshats other than those over at MR whining, moaning and complaining about WWDC?

Jesus H - these are the same morons who bitch, moan and complain when Apple do too much.

When did we become so self-centered? iPadOS 15 addresses several areas for me:

1) Multiwindow support - I can’t get my head around the current implementation and the new method seems to make considerably more sense.
2) Full page widgets - Hallelujah! I want - I want!
3) Continuity - I brought my new iPad to be part of my daily workflow and this is going to be a big part of that.
4) Swift playgrounds - I want to learn swift but my day job in my office keeps me on .net, Python and Java. The idea I can do some real things on my iPad with this in my “off hours” is of real interest.

In addition this feels like a stepping stone where Apple are preparing even bigger things with iPadOS 16 and beyond.

Was this release and amazing one with heaps of “wow” factor? Nope, but that’s fine by me as well because all that glimmers is not gold.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Is there a collection of more self entitled asshats other than those over at MR whining, moaning and complaining about WWDC?

Jesus H - these are the same morons who bitch, moan and complain when Apple do too much.

When did we become so self-centered? iPadOS 15 addresses several areas for me:

1) Multiwindow support - I can’t get my head around the current implementation and the new method seems to make considerably more sense.
2) Full page widgets - Hallelujah! I want - I want!
3) Continuity - I brought my new iPad to be part of my daily workflow and this is going to be a big part of that.
4) Swift playgrounds - I want to learn swift but my day job in my office keeps me on .net, Python and Java. The idea I can do some real things on my iPad with this in my “off hours” is of real interest.

In addition this feels like a stepping stone where Apple are preparing even bigger things with iPadOS 16 and beyond.

Was this release and amazing one with heaps of “wow” factor? Nope, but that’s fine by me as well because all that glimmers is not gold.
There’s this thread about a “lackluster iPadOS 15”

Also I completely agree with these points. The multitasking improvements alone are huge! The current multitasking is very unintuitive and hard to use IMO.

Last edited:

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Seems like everyone is super disappointed in all the Apple subreddits. More so than on MR even. People have way too high expectations.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Seems like everyone is super disappointed in all the Apple subreddits. More so than on MR even. People have way too high expectations.

It's just not cool to be upbeat and like stuff I guess. Been that way for awhile now. We're jaded at age 9 by the latest.

I treasure memory of all the excitement of launch day for the original iPhone. Grown men and women were as excited as kids standing in line up in Albany... I only did that one time, but I still really like keynotes and WWDC presentations, it's just fun. And sometimes the tech advances are reaslly impressive, even if they have some rough edges that need filing down for the next cycle.

Why do people think it's so cool to just hate on releases of new gear and software anyway? So many trolls out there now they just become background noise, so if they are seeking attention they're doin' it wrong... 😴

U

User.45

Did Lossless arrive to Apple Music? I don't see it in the settings. Also, to me spatial audio sounds like a total gimmick.

D

Deleted member 199

You people with your positivity and your lack of tears and drama…

1623130518407.jpeg

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Swift is a solid language, I was originally hassling with Obj-C, then migrated over to Swift around the mid-4.x version, knowing some Obj-C helped with legacy APIs/docs/existing code. Playgrounds is super fun, and now, geez, now you can go code to App Store from an iPad, that's a whole new ballgame.

To be honest, my iOS development is pretty lightweight, mostly standard UIs consuming an API (that's also used by a web based front end). Quite a bit of logic is handled at the server layer, the app winds up being just a simple UI layer, I could __almost__ just use a PWA, I mean, at this point, I've actually started using React Native - I can knock out UIs superfast, I've got a bunch of code resources I've put together that mirror the UI components of the web app (I built out matching styles, layouts) and my stuff is all enterprise deployed, so it doesn't even need to go through the app store process.

I had a question for you: are you using MacOS VS for your .NET? Or still needing to fire up Winders™ in some way? I recall you said you're running MS-SQL from a local container.

U

User.45

Goodness, Spatial audio is such a pile of horseshit:D They tell me I should use my wired headphones and hear the difference.
(They are playing psychoacoustics which is one of the weirdest thing about how our brain processes audio signal. I can't count the number of times I was EQing something started pushing the slider to cut some some frequencies and immediately heard the subtle changes, just to realize a minute in that the EQ has been on bypass and I did nothing to the signal. Here they tell you what you need to hear and you'll start hearing it, unless a) your ear is really trained, or b) your ear is absolutely untrained).

Here's what I hear: a mediocre spatial processor that pushes panoramad instruments farther to the side, compresses the bass and applies a an exciter (processor that restores the sibilance and dynamics of highs above ~2 KHz).
This may be more interesting on a 5.1 or 7.1 system where you can move sound vertically between speakers, but honestly, I've yet to see an adequately put together 5.1 home audio system because setting it up is a major PITA.
I was convinced by a sound engineer 15 years ago that a good stereo system in an acoustically treated room will have superior spatial imaging and to date this paradigm remained unchallenged.

It does tell me if something is lossless now:
1623157793285.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
It can use BT for that too:p

Not in my experience. It doesn’t “just work”. Unless I’m thinking of something different. Every time I’ve tried AirPlaying from my iPhone to an Apple TV that isn’t connected to WiFi it doesn’t work.

U

User.45

Not in my experience. It doesn’t “just work”. Unless I’m thinking of something different. Every time I’ve tried AirPlaying from my iPhone to an Apple TV that isn’t connected to WiFi it doesn’t work.
It does work, but I haven't done it in a while. I bought an apple TV for my residents and the hospital didn't allow us access to the wired or wireless network, so we used it only for Airplay via bluetooth (Airplay 1). It worked fine.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
An AppleTV uses BT to negotiate an AirPlay connection then WiFI in AdHoc mode for data from the streaming device. So you don't have to be connected to the same network, but it does use WiFi.

There was actually a revision mid-model to the 3rd Gen that allowed this, and of course all models forward.

I've done presentations where I bring my own ATV and use it as an AirPlay target - with neither on the local network - so I can be a little more tactical with my notebook position.

Top Bottom
1 2