As Supreme Court overturns abortion rights, justice suggests gay marriage could be next

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I heard Biden’s speech on the radio as I was driving. He sounded quite sad. He mentioned that gay marriage and even the choice of a husband and wife to use contraception within a marriage could be taken away according to Thomas’ opinion.

He had 2 main points in his conclusion:

1. Do not do anything violent (he was strong on this)
2. Vote for members of Congress that will ensure the right to abortion, privacy, and individual autonomy.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I heard Biden’s speech on the radio as I was driving. He sounded quite sad. He mentioned that gay marriage and even the choice of a husband and wife to use contraception within a marriage could be taken away according to Thomas’ opinion.

He had 2 main points in his conclusion:

1. Do not do anything violent (he was strong on this)
2. Vote for members of Congress that will ensure the right to abortion, privacy, and individual autonomy.
I don't think anyone condones violence (hopefully) but Democrats will never actually stand up to these tyrants, I think at this point we just accept defeat and hope the next batch/generation has the ability to actually take them on.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
The list of trigger laws.

South Dakota's 2005 trigger law banning abortion except to save the life of the mother was written to take effect "on the date that the states are recognized by the United States Supreme Court to have the authority to regulate or prohibit abortion at all stages of pregnancy."

Louisiana's trigger law, passed in 2006, bans all abortions except to prevent "substantial risk of death or permanent impairment under certain circumstances."

Mississippi's law outlaws all abortions, except in cases of rape or to save the life of the mother.

North Dakota's trigger law makes providing an abortion a felony punishable by a maximum penalty of five years in prison and a $10,000 fine.
In 2009, Missouri passed a trigger law that bans abortions after six or seven weeks.
Arkansas' law also makes abortion a felony, punishable by up to 10 years in prison or a fine of up to $100,000.

Kentucky lawmakers overrode Democratic Gov. Andy Bashear's veto and passed a ban on abortion after 15 weeks, even in cases of rape or incest. That law, which also requires the cremation or burial of fetal remains, was later stayed by a US District Court, in May.

Utah's trigger law, passed in 2020, prohibits abortion at any stage of pregnancy, except in the case of rape, incest, serious medical complications or if the fetus has a fatal defect or a "severe brain abnormality."

Tennessee's trigger law criminalizes all abortions except in the case of life-threatening pregnancies. It's set to go into effect 30 days after the overturn of Roe v. Wade.

Idaho (Senate Bill 1309), Oklahoma (SB 1503) and Wyoming (House Bill 92) all passed similar trigger laws in 2022 that ban abortion in almost all cases.
Texas' law (SB8) is considered the most extreme abortion ban in the nation: In addition to prohibiting the termination of a pregnancy after six weeks -- with no exceptions for rape or incest -- it incentivizes residents to sue anyone who helps another person get an abortion and comes with a $10,000 award if they win in court.
At least two other states have attempted trigger bans: In January, Nebraska Republicans proposed a total abortion ban, but it was defeated in a 31-15 vote.

The Ohio legislature's trigger ban, House Bill 480, is still in committee, with no scheduled vote. It goes further than the Texas ban, banning all abortions regardless of pregnancy timeline, medical emergency or if the pregnancy was the product of rape or incest. It also allows citizens to sue anyone helping someone receive an abortion.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I don't think anyone condones violence (hopefully) but Democrats will never actually stand up to these tyrants, I think at this point we just accept defeat and hope the next batch/generation has the ability to actually take them on.
It actually comes down to voters. If more people voted for Democrats, it would be easy as pie to pass a law making abortion legal across the country. If we had 60+ D senators, nobody would give a 💩 about Joe Manchin and we’d have gotten a lot more done for the good of America.

There are some states with crazy gerrymandering, but overall - we just don’t have enough people showing up.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
It actually comes down to voters. If more people voted for Democrats, it would be easy as pie to pass a law making abortion legal across the country. If we had 60+ D senators, nobody would give a 💩 about Joe Manchin and we’d have gotten a lot more done for the good of America.

There are some states with crazy gerrymandering, but overall - we just don’t have enough people showing up.
We are in the trouble we are today because a majority of American who vote “conservative” (more appropriate described as self serving bankrupt, hypocrite, Right-Wing Fantasy Land types) ) took control of a majority of States, they are hard workers to achieve their goals. Then in 2016, though apathy, intent, deal with The Devil, or burn it down motivations , put the Corrupt, Immoral Head POS into the White House to achieve a solid conservative majority in the Supreme Court. Roe vs Wade was immediately doomed. And the Right Wing lauds the Devil for achieving it with their help.

So:
  • Job well done, if you are a Right Wing Koolaid driinker, bravo!
  • An outright catastrophe if you are a true Patriot Concerned about the future of the USA.
  • Liberals, moderates, through apathy or lack of better solutions, you let this happen and now will pay the price as the GOP as we know it, is now intent on stripping women of reproductive rights, (expect a Federal Abortion Ban if possible), including restrictions on contraception. And LGBT, and anyone not in the pseudo-Christian Right Wing straight jacket that passes for Christianity, they are going to Screw You with glee on their smug Christian faces.
One possible solution, at least the first step of pushback will be the 2022 election. But if the GOP regains control of the Congress we are in for a world of shit, including steps at the State level to overthrow the outcome of any future election they don’t like.

A civil war is not beyond the pale.. If you’re a liberal or moderate, you’d better own a couple of guns and ammo. Bringing a knife to a gun fight won’t cut it.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Too many didn't care about Black and Brown, poor and young voters getting screwed. Too many were only looking out for themselves since legislation was hurting/would hurt others. Now that they may be in the crosshairs, it may be too late. The GOP has rigged elections for decades and it'll be a herculean task to stop them this midterm. The tide turned years and years ago.

I have no faith that voters will do the right, just thing.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Growing up in the 1960s, I could never have imagined, where the country would be 60 years later.

Of interest “precedence” of past decisions used to be a standard in the court, and it was observed that the court who interprets gun rights in the broadest sense, on the other hand, interpret Women’s reproductive rights in the most narrow sense and in essence has become the tool of Right Wing politicians out of step with the majority. In addition historically when precedence was overturned it was to expand rights, not take rights away. This is straight jacket conservatism, our straight jacket designed for you in a nut shell. You can critique liberalism, but not for straight jacket politics.

Finally, gerrymandering has taken away the voice of the majority and kept a minority party in power.

The ball is in our court and as I‘ve said multiple times the threat is 30-40% of us who seems intent on, no shit destroying the foundations upon which this country was created. When is the majority going to wake up?

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2