California recall election now has 70 people on the ballot

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Read an article on the history of this recall yesterday. It was pretty much going nowhere fast until Newsom was caught at a high end restaurant having a maskless dinner and that alone made the recall a certainty. People need to seriously calm the fuck down. I can’t believe the amount of mental illness this covid situation has triggered in a scary amount of people.
Is it mental illness? Or is it immaturity? Children often say things like “you can’t tell me what to do!” A lot of kids also love to intentionally be contrary, for no other reason than to be contrary. Most children exhibiting those behaviors shed them as adults. However, it seems that many are allowing that immature nature to resurface at the urging of opportunistic political leaders.

The people who follow this insanity to their graves… well perhaps they are either mentally ill or else they greatly underestimated the deadliness of the virus.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Read an article on the history of this recall yesterday. It was pretty much going nowhere fast until Newsom was caught at a high end restaurant having a maskless dinner and that alone made the recall a certainty. People need to seriously calm the fuck down. I can’t believe the amount of mental illness this covid situation has triggered in a scary amount of people.

It's not just covid. Or that recall either. It's everything. All is binary: yes or no, and right now because the train is moving.

I've decided Netflix UI is the quintessential representation: they changed their rating to up/down, their handling of ending credits was always that you must click on the credits to watch them to the end (or else hit the back arrow to return to browse) or we'll show you the next episode right now... and on the homepage your cursor moves over a still of an offering and the preview launches... no thought whatsoever on your part is required for them to run the table for you.​
But covid certainly has boosted the need for mental health care in the USA.

Living in California, this is pretty much what I watched unfold.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1438103767988248587/

The mainstream media had plenty incentive all along to maintain the sense of a high stakes horse race. Hard to sort out how much was due to their bottom-line opportunism and how much was due to social media willingness to turn every damn thing into a three ring circus.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I cannot believe that is legal...

(Searches the web) It is definitely not legal:

From your linked article:

The man was first “counseled and told not to wear anything political” on Monday, Registrar-Recorder’s office spokesperson Mike Sanchez told KTLA.

“But he still came wearing it,” Sanchez added. “Because of his response and not complying with the rules, he was released.”

So he knew it wasn’t allowed and he still did it. What an ass.

lizkat

Reaction score
So he knew it wasn’t allowed and he still did it. What an ass.

A lot of Trump followers seem to have a real knee-jerk "you can't tell me what to do" response to pretty ordinary rules that have been around for a long, long time. Yet during Trump's campaigns his rally followers were quick to pick on people wearing colors or bumpersticks of the opposition... and those situations were not even governed by laws, just preference.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
🥳

Not that I'm too surprised. California is bluer than ever. The media sure made it seem like his recall was a possibility this summer, but I guess that was before all the dirt on Larry Elder came out.

That got the media eyeballs and clicks. Then the Elder stuff got them eyeballs and clicks.

Yes, I am a bit cynical.

lizkat

Reaction score
That got the media eyeballs and clicks. Then the Elder stuff got them eyeballs and clicks.

Yes, I am a bit cynical.

Hard not to be. The media are between a rock and a hard place without Trump's twitter feed to lean on any more. They have to work for a living, that means go look for news. Pataki's pressers are professional and worth watching but Trump's driveway gaggles got more clicks because there was always the chance he might start WWIII with a remark on the way to Marine One...

Every online paper in the country is running promos it wouldn't offer before now: stuff like a dollar a week for months on end, or a dollar for six months... all to jack up circ rates for fleeing advertisers. Also, the online papers that would not previously renegotiate a new promo for existing customers are now begging them to take a new promo rate instead of cancelling before full rates kick in.

Meanwhile the vulture capitalists circle on, looking to buy out and gut assets of yet another newspaper chain or family-owned paper. They managed to take the Denver Post staff from 300 down to 60 and sinking. Who the hell knows what's happening in Denver these days.

The only struggling papers that manage to thrive after rescue seem to be the ones bought not by hedge funds but by billionaires interested in preserving the paper's reach instead of unloading debt and cutting operating resources. LA Times is actually staging a decent comeback from its years at the hands of Tronc (which had laid $12 billion of debt onto the paper during the Zell years) after a 2018 buyout structured by an LA billionaire. WaPo has done well after its rescue by Bezos.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Every online paper in the country is running promos it wouldn't offer before now: stuff like a dollar a week for months on end, or a dollar for six months... all to jack up circ rates for fleeing advertisers. Also, the online papers that would not previously renegotiate a new promo for existing customers are now begging them to take a new promo rate instead of cancelling before full rates kick in.
They need a new model. I am not going to sub to a paper just so I can read one random link. Make me watch and ad before reading it. I can do that. Or let locals subscribe and bypass forced ads.

lizkat

Reaction score
They need a new model. I am not going to sub to a paper just so I can read one random link. Make me watch and ad before reading it. I can do that. Or let locals subscribe and bypass forced ads.

Yeah the papers that really do annoy me are those that don't give a handful of reads before making you at least register. What the heck, they get the extra clicks doing that (and some papers do seem to realize that).

The other ones that bother me are chains that now have like two reporters covering six counties and half of what's in their paper otherwise are either AP/Reuters feed or "our regional team" (e.g. the chain's equivalent of syndication of selected staffers' pieces).

It's said that we get what we pay for. But when a hedge fund buys a paper, that can go away right quick. At that point we start paying for what we get, which is the product of resources stretched to afford layoffs and assumption of debt.

No clue what a viable solution is. Apparently instead of taxing billionaires more, maybe we should make them each buy an individual newspaper, update publishing facilities and hire reporters and website developers to cover and present news adequately and in an appealing fashion.

But the customer piece is the other problem. News we can actually use became entirely optional in a lot of households a long time ago. There might not be any fixing that. We've created a mass media culture that thrives on celebrity and controversy and compression.... and has shrunk the shelf life of a paper from a day to sometimes just a glance at headlines and "oh i saw that on my phone already".

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
😂 :ROFLMAO:

1631731064886.png

D

Deleted member 215

Definitely illegal. What a knob. My friend went in to the polls with a Bernie button and was asked to remove it (forgot she had it on).

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Already CA Democrats are talking about changing the recall laws. Slow your roll. That’s not how this works.

First, you announce the formation of a review commission which one party will unilaterally think is a good idea and the other will unilaterally think is the worst idea ever. Take several months to form the commission and then a minimum of a year to complete the investigation at the cost of millions of dollars. Then create a multi-volume summary report with a minimum of 1,000 pages. Then despite a mountain of condemning evidence against key individuals, don’t pursue any prosecution and don’t do anything to change the law. So it doesn’t look like you didn’t do anything at all, instead pass legislation that blanket strips away the rights of average citizens. Finally, file the report in the “Goofs” section of the Library of Congress.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Already CA Democrats are talking about changing the recall laws. Slow your roll. That’s not how this works.

First, you announce the formation of a review commission which one party will unilaterally think is a good idea and the other will unilaterally think is the worst idea ever. Take several months to form the commission and then a minimum of a year to complete the investigation at the cost of millions of dollars. Then create a multi-volume summary report with a minimum of 1,000 pages. Then despite a mountain of condemning evidence against key individuals, don’t pursue any prosecution and don’t do anything to change the law. So it doesn’t look like you didn’t do anything at all, instead pass legislation that blanket strips away the rights of average citizens. Finally, file the report in the “Goofs” section of the Library of Congress.
Who is going to pass the law that blanket strips away the rights of citizens? :unsure:

Top Bottom
1 2