Cats

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Until the boys, the largest cat we had was Misty who came in at just under 12 lbs. The boys are 18+ and 22. Yes, they are a little fat, but they are also both very long and tall. Knowing what it takes to pick one of them up, I can't imagine this:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Until the boys, the largest cat we had was Misty who came in at just under 12 lbs. The boys are 18+ and 22. Yes, they are a little fat, but they are also both very long and tall. Knowing what it takes to pick one of them up, I can't imagine this:

Wow. Just wow.

But a brilliant foot warmer at night (if you could persuade the cat to remain at the end of the bed, keeping your feet warm, rather than curled up beside - or, on top of - you).

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Wow. Just wow.

But a brilliant foot warmer at night (if you could persuade the cat to remain at the end of the bed, keeping your feet warm, rather than curled up beside - or, on top of - you).

Given their propensity to find a way to step RIGHT on your crotch when they're trying to find a place to snuggle, I think he'd be more of an outside the bedroom cat.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Speaking of cats, I'm being invaded by all the neighborhood strays. There are two new cats, a large brown tabby, and a jet black smaller cat. They're in the front yard, chasing each other around. It's only a matter of time before Pete and Cappy get involved.

...where do all these cats come from? I seriously think someone is using my house as a cat dumping ground.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Given their propensity to find a way to step RIGHT on your crotch when they're trying to find a place to snuggle, I think he'd be more of an outside the bedroom cat.
And do you really think that this - given the calculated and meticulous precision of their movement - is not, in any way, somehow, deliberate?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Oklahoma Wildlife Conservation posted lighthearted tweet about not letting mountain lions in the house just because it's cold outside ("You are cold. They have fur")... and then all Twitter hell broke loose, of course, requiring assorted clarifications and other comedy gold. Now they're updating all their tweets using talking corgis or whatever those are... Hilarious.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1484173250498285570/

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1484971267929395206/
Those replies are hilarious 🤣

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1484403537228402689/

NGL this would be me. I love cats too much I would try to pet a big one.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

Reminds me of the viral post from the Karen who was complaining that her neighbors dog was out in the cold. So he posted this pic of his dog:

EDwTHsV.jpg

NGL this would be me. I love cats too much I would try to pet a big one.

Right there with you. :)

The wife and I agreed that we would not ever buy a purebred cat again as there are too many in shelters that need a home. The one exception will be a Savannah. :)

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
The wife and I agreed that we would not ever buy a purebred cat again as there are too many in shelters that need a home. The one exception will be a Savannah. :)
I don't know about cats, but I have divided feelings about dogs.

On the one hand, I have in the past been a believer in saving shelter dogs. That belief has been tested by the fact that pretty much everybody I know who has one, has a dog with behavior problems, ranging from being unruly (jumping on people constantly) to chewing entry door frames to being ferocious to anyone but immediate family.

My daughter OTOH got the only purebred in the family, and she is the sweetest, quietest thing. Friendly as hell and a joy to have around.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

On the one hand, I have in the past been a believer in saving shelter dogs. That belief has been tested by the fact that pretty much everybody I know who has one, has a dog with behavior problems, ranging from being unruly (jumping on people constantly) to chewing entry door frames to being ferocious to anyone but immediate family.

My daughter OTOH got the only purebred in the family, and she is the sweetest, quietest thing. Friendly as hell and a joy to have around.

We have had 3 purebred Ragdolls. One mama and two of her offspring. Mama and one had horrible health issues and died a 12 and 11. The other one is still going strong at almost 15, but if her box isn't scooped daily, there will be a problem.

But none of them are good box users which is common with those raised in a cattery - no mama to teach them. OTOH, our rescues have been great pets although they sort of chose us as opposed to us going and picking them out. Our first rescue, we let this kitten in the garage one night when it was going to be cold. Gave him some food and water, but forgot a box. He dug a hole in a potted plant and used it. :)

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score

We've had two dogs, one of which was "pure" based on appearance (we didn't know her exact history prior to adoption) and the the other a mix. Both have been sweet and friendly to just about everyone. I think this may have to do with how they are handled in their early years in addition to behavioral tendencies related to their breed(s), but I know many people with shelter dogs acquired at various ages who are wonderful.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I saw (read, was helpless with laughter reading) a (yes, an appalling but hilarious) Twitter thread about cats eating (and enjoying) butter.

Check out the thread by Sarah Kessler (@moveablejaw) which starts with the immortal tweet:"My wife has taken to leaving the butter on the counter European-style and I just caught the cat LICKING THE BUTTER and it appears she’s been doing this for months and that we’ve been eating CAT-BUTTER please send help immediately."

This was followed (same author, same thread) by a tweet which read: "We literally just had a convo about how each of us thought the other was taking weird dented knifefuls of butter from the stick but IT WAS THE CAT, whose Velcro tongue ridges are in fact VISIBLE ON THE STICK OF BUTTER"....

Top Bottom
1 2