Coffee, Café Culture, Culture, Chat, & Conversation...

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Enjoyed a coffee this morning that was a blend (of my own devising) of coffees from El Salvador and Honduras. Served with organic hot milk.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Enjoyed a blend of coffee from El Salvador and Honduras (with organic hot milk) today.

And received word that the coffee I ordered on Thursday is now en route to me.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Ran out of coffee. Need to roast more.

Now there's a level of coffee-attentiveness to which I do not aspire...

But I did just recently ensure I won't run out of basic ordinary commercial coffee beans over winter, stashed a couple 3-pound bags in a 22-gallon bin in the back room where I keep assorted other rock-bottom subsistence type items in my winter pantry. Rice, beans and the boxes they come in lol. But first, coffee....

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Agree with @lizkat; I love my coffee, but this is a level of demanding perfection to which I do not - and cannot - ever aspire to.

But I did just recently ensure I won't run out of basic ordinary commercial coffee beans over winter, stashed a couple 3-pound bags in a 22-gallon bin in the back room where I keep assorted other rock-bottom subsistence type items in my winter pantry. Rice, beans and the boxes they come in lol. But first, coffee....
Yes, my most recent coffee order arrived this past week-end, even though I was amply suplied for - at least - a further week or so.

However, I agree with both of you; running out of coffee is a fate not to be contemplated.

Last edited:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I have drinking the Green Mountain Sumatra Reserve for years now K-cups for that we buy direct through Keurig and it looks as though it's been discontinued, we bought the Costco brand hoping it will be close. I know it's not as good as quality freshly ground coffee but I've grown used to it over the years.

januarydrive7

Reaction score
Agree with @lizkat; I love my coffee, but this is a level of demanding perfection to which I do not - and cannot - ever aspire to.

I started roasting small batches of quality green coffee in a (very slightly) modified popcorn popper about 10 years ago. I was getting fairly good results for several years (I'd argue better than >= 90% of what you can find on store shelves), but upped my game with more significant modifications about 5-6 years ago (added an embedded system to control temperature and fan speed for precise roast profiles).

If I were ever to encourage anyone toward roasting their own coffee, I would suggest either a stock, or slightly modified popcorn popper --- the overkill that I've done has made it so that it's hard for me to enjoy coffee that I don't roast myself, or at least comes from a good 3rd-wave coffee shop.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Sipping a blend (of my own devising) of two different coffees from El Salvador, with organic (full fat) hot milk, and a dash of organic, double cream.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Gosh you are exotic. :);)

Not really.

How exotic is it to spoon two (and, on a very rare, but exciting occasion, three) different types of coffee into a paper filter, French Press, or moka pot?

The trick is to want to do it, and then, the next thing is to work out which coffees go well together (in my experience, - as you will often find with French wines and French cheese and cuisine - coffees from the same areas, regions, places, - i.e. East Africa, Central America, tend to go well together), and then, to work out what ratios you want with the specific coffees.

Most mornings, or afternoons, if blending, - unless there is a reason to do things a bit differently, such as adding extra Ethiopian coffee to a blend, to increase the influence - my blends will be roughly 50% of each coffee.

Top Bottom
1 2