Donald Trump 2024 Presidential Campaign Announcement Nov. 15

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Unfortunately I don't see anyone stepping on the Dem side. If Biden steps away, VP Kamala Harris easily gets front-runner status on the Dem side. But who else would dare run? Buttigieg? I fear a race lead by a Black woman and a gay man. Not in these extremist times.

Booker, Buttigieg, Newsom, or Abrams. Or Liz Cheney as an Independent (Democrat) aligned with and backed by Biden - I know, a stretch. Not Harris (for me).

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
No matter what happens in Georgia today, Abrams can't be a good candidate for the Dems: either she's a two-time loser, or she's abandoning a job she's been fighting for over the past 5+ years.

Booker is too milquetoast (add Klobuchar and Gillibrand to the team). Newsom would rile up the opposition and plenty of Dems Progressives. Buttigieg ain't ready, too green and too Gay-ish which will put off anti-LGBTQ & LGBTQ. Cheney will hurt the Dems if she runs, especially as an Independent.

If Biden is too old, so is Warren and Sanders.

I'm going to focus on today's results. But we need to start working on 2023 off-year elections and begin set-up for 2024 and beyond Wednesday morning (or however long it takes to figure out who won what).

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I've seen/heard Buttigieg extensively interviewed at least a half dozen times in the past.

And each time I come away believing he's one of the most articulate, intelligent, thoughtful politicians (perhaps as a person in general) I've come across. That he was a Harvard graduate, Rhodes Scholar, Navy officer who deployed to Afghanistan as an intelligence officer is icing on the cake. I think he's plenty ready, and he'd be able to assemble an outstanding team of advisors with decades of experience (maybe even Biden on call) for advice.

And he'd tear trump apart in any debate. With ease.

I believe Cheney will hurt the Republicans if she runs as an Independent. There has to be a good number of decent Republicans who are sick and tired of trump, conspiracy theories, whining, being aggrieved 24/7, etc.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't see anyone stepping on the Dem side. If Biden steps away, VP Kamala Harris easily gets front-runner status on the Dem side. But who else would dare run? Buttigieg? I fear a race lead by a Black woman and a gay man. Not in these extremist times.

That's the problem. A lot of voters say they don't want Biden to run again but none of them can tell you who they want to run instead. If you go through the list of the obvious choices like you mentioned, they don't want them to run either. It's pretty sad they can't produce even one candidate people would get excited about.

I listened to a recent interview with a Democrat strategist and he's pretty much had it with the party. Among his issues is the party has a huge slush fund but they won't use it to support lower level community activists or organizers and instead court candidates with a background in law or business for their connections to raise even more money. Also he fears they'll use abortion in the same way Republicans used it for decades, use it to raise money but not really do anything about it.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Let’s not pretend republicans are running to younger and brighter talent either. Trump is old himself, and they keep their Grassleys, McConnells and others in office too.

DeSantis is a young guy who the republicans are on fire for, but so was Marco Rubio.

Democrats have people, and that support will materialize when names are mentioned. Virtually nobody was excited about Biden and he defeated Trump by a good clip. That may or may not happen in a rematch, but someone will step up if Biden decides not to run.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Let’s not pretend republicans are running to younger and brighter talent either. Trump is old himself, and they keep their Grassleys, McConnells and others in office too.

DeSantis is a young guy who the republicans are on fire for, but so was Marco Rubio.

Democrats have people, and that support will materialize when names are mentioned. Virtually nobody was excited about Biden and he defeated Trump by a good clip. That may or may not happen in a rematch, but someone will step up if Biden decides not to run.
Oh-so-true!! Mango has made the GOP a continuously burning dumpster fire. They allowed him to take over the party and are stuck with him till death or prison. And who knows if it's the latter instead of the former.

DeSatan will probably be scared off by Mango's announcement next week. Were anyone to challenge him, Mango will rather bring down the GOP even lower. Serves them right.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
That's the problem. A lot of voters say they don't want Biden to run again but none of them can tell you who they want to run instead. If you go through the list of the obvious choices like you mentioned, they don't want them to run either. It's pretty sad they can't produce even one candidate people would get excited about.

I listened to a recent interview with a Democrat strategist and he's pretty much had it with the party. Among his issues is the party has a huge slush fund but they won't use it to support lower level community activists or organizers and instead court candidates with a background in law or business for their connections to raise even more money. Also he fears they'll use abortion in the same way Republicans used it for decades, use it to raise money but not really do anything about it.
Dems will get behind whoever steps forward and wins the nom. I suspect it will be someone from the group I critiqued above. With Harris, Buttigieg and Newsom as frontrunners. They have to stack out their positions as early as possible without making it too official. Put out feelers without too much infrastructure. Yet all the pieces need to be fired up as soon as possible if necessary. I can't see an outsider having the ability to do that. Obama was probably the last outsider and even he wasn't a true outsider since he was a sitting U.S. Senator.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Dems will get behind whoever steps forward and wins the nom. I suspect it will be someone from the group I critiqued above. With Harris, Buttigieg and Newsom as frontrunners. They have to stack out their positions as early as possible without making it too official. Put out feelers without too much infrastructure. Yet all the pieces need to be fired up as soon as possible if necessary. I can't see an outsider having the ability to do that. Obama was probably the last outsider and even he wasn't a true outsider since he was a sitting U.S. Senator.

For the most part I'm not worried about Democrat voters getting behind their nominee. I'm worried about the rest of the country getting behind them. I'm also worried about young voters where our entire political system has largely been a dumpster fire their entire life. You have the scourge of Trump followed by Biden who probably didn't get a lot done by their standards. At the very least he (and the rest of the political system) should have made a second Trump run an impossibility, but here we are looking at that very real threat again. Point being, a lot of young voters on the left just won't show up.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Booker, Buttigieg, Newsom, or Abrams. Or Liz Cheney as an Independent (Democrat) aligned with and backed by Biden - I know, a stretch. Not Harris (for me).
While Liz Cheney sacrificed it all to do the right thing investigating Trump, she would have to drastically change her position on basically every stance she's held all along, voting with Trump nearly all the time. She seems too principled to sell our her beliefs like that IMO but we'll see how things evolve. She's certainly earned the respect of a lot of people in her sacrifice.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
You have the scourge of Trump followed by Biden who probably didn't get a lot done by their standards. At the very least he (and the rest of the political system) should have made a second Trump run an impossibility,

How would Biden have made a 2nd trump run an impossibility? Sure, he could have meddled with and put pressure on the DOJ's trump investigation, but that's off limits. Unless you're trump who believes the AG is his personal attorney and the DOJ works on his behalf.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
For the most part I'm not worried about Democrat voters getting behind their nominee. I'm worried about the rest of the country getting behind them. I'm also worried about young voters where our entire political system has largely been a dumpster fire their entire life. You have the scourge of Trump followed by Biden who probably didn't get a lot done by their standards. At the very least he (and the rest of the political system) should have made a second Trump run an impossibility, but here we are looking at that very real threat again. Point being, a lot of young voters on the left just won't show up.
I think there's too much pessimism about younger voters. To hear tell they were going to sit out these midterms. In plenty of states their early vote turnout has been phenomenal. Surpassing the numbers from 2018 and in some places, even the 2020 Presidential. In plenty of places they're showing up and surprising both sides. UMich has plenty of them on line to vote ~2 hours (about the same amount of time for same day registration line). The young voters are fine.

Dems need to forget about getting GOP voters to their side. They are a lost cause. Independents are what they need to appeal to. And not so-called Independents who are too chicken-shit to admit they're voting for the GQP. Dems need to spend wisely and early.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
While Liz Cheney sacrificed it all to do the right thing investigating Trump, she would have to drastically change her position on basically every stance she's held all along, voting with Trump nearly all the time. She seems too principled to sell our her beliefs like that IMO but we'll see how things evolve. She's certainly earned the respect of a lot of people in her sacrifice.

I think she could be malleable on some R tenets. Maybe not abortion. But who knows. We're living in very strange times. And I believe if she sees democracy going further down the crapper, she'll step up.

And as I said earlier, she was very coy and obfuscated when the question was put to her by Judy Woodruff, rather than simply saying No. To me, her body language was quite convincing that's not off the table.

EDIT: And I think Liz Cheney voting with trump has to do with her being a Republican Senator for Wyoming.

Last edited:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
How would Biden have made a 2nd trump run an impossibility? Sure, he could have meddled with and put pressure on the DOJ's trump investigation, but that's off limits. Unless you're trump who believes the AG is his personal attorney and the DOJ works on his behalf.

He (and most of the national Democrat party) could have not wasted so much time trying to pander to the non existent moderate voter who would vote for them. All any Republicans have to say to the Democrat dinosaurs in office is "Regan revolution!" and they’ll run home with thier tails tucked between their legs still scared of that ghost. You think Republicans are going to chase that mythical moderate voter? Fuck no. They’re just going to steamroll thier agenda through.

The more material improvements Democrats delivered, the more voters would pull away from Trump and Trumpism. But we got a bunch of slogging along while ignoring issues and causes that seem to be obvious to everybody except Democrats. We got the standard deflections attempting to turn everybody’s eyes away from donors, corruption, and greed. We should have gotten FDR "I welcome their hate" but instead got almost Trump "there’s good people on both sides".

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think there's too much pessimism about younger voters. To hear tell they were going to sit out these midterms. In plenty of states their early vote turnout has been phenomenal. Surpassing the numbers from 2018 and in some places, even the 2020 Presidential. In plenty of places they're showing up and surprising both sides. UMich has plenty of them on line to vote ~2 hours (about the same amount of time for same day registration line). The young voters are fine.

Dems need to forget about getting GOP voters to their side. They are a lost cause. Independents are what they need to appeal to. And not so-called Independents who are too chicken-shit to admit they're voting for the GQP. Dems need to spend wisely and early.

They can forget about moderate voters too who have historically almost always sided with Republicans because at the end of the day all they care about is their wallet. They stop supporting diversity the instant it cost them one thin dime.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
He (and most of the national Democrat party) could have not wasted so much time trying to pander to the non existent moderate voter who would vote for them. All any Republicans have to say to the Democrat dinosaurs in office is "Regan revolution!" and they’ll run home with thier tails tucked between their legs still scared of that ghost. You think Republicans are going to chase that mythical moderate voter? Fuck no. They’re just going to steamroll thier agenda through.

The more material improvements Democrats delivered, the more voters would pull away from Trump and Trumpism. But we got a bunch of slogging along while ignoring issues and causes that seem to be obvious to everybody except Democrats. We got the standard deflections attempting to turn everybody’s eyes away from donors, corruption, and greed. We should have gotten FDR "I welcome their hate" but instead got almost Trump "there’s good people on both sides".
So you're just going to ignore Manchin, Sinema and (occasionally) Kelly thwarting legislation coming from the Dem-controlled House. Nothing about pandering to moderate voters once they secured the White House, the House and Senate.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
So you're just going to ignore Manchin, Sinema and (occasionally) Kelly thwarting legislation coming from the Dem-controlled House. Nothing about pandering to moderate voters once they secured the White House, the House and Senate.

i don’t recall Biden calling out their blatant to everyone top tier corruption, but of course he didn’t because he’s a career centrist and most likely "that’s just how things work". It’s that mentality that made Trump appealing to many which is way laughable now and should have been before he got elected. Just wasn’t to enough people unfortunately. As somebody put it…this isn’t the most important election of our lifetime. It was 2016 and we failed.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
i don’t recall Biden calling out their blatant to everyone top tier corruption, but of course he didn’t because he’s a career centrist and most likely "that’s just how things work". It’s that mentality that made Trump appealing to many which is way laughable now and should have been before he got elected. Just wasn’t to enough people unfortunately. As somebody put it…this isn’t the most important election of our lifetime. It was 2016 and we failed.
Yeah because doing so would not get them to sabotage key Dem legislation. You can't criticise the other side as making everyone vote lock-step for their legislation then turn around and demand your people vote lock-step for your legislation. Mango is in charge of a cult, Biden isn't despite rhetoric.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not a very convincing post by Trump. He's probably having a bad morning.

174 wins and 9 losses, A GREAT EVENING, and the Fake News Media, together with their partner in crime, the Democrats, are doing everything possible to play it down. Amazing job by some really fantastic candidates!

Top Bottom
1 2