Donald Trump 2024 Presidential Campaign Announcement Nov. 15

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
What I'm concerned about is how Biden will age over the next two years and the optics of him going against a healthy/fit/articulate DeSantis. Especially on the debate stage. Biden's walking stride has progressively degraded over the last few years. As has his speech.

That would first become apparent at the beginning of a debate where both candidates simultaneously walk out from stage left/right to shake hands before going to their podiums.

Also...being able to quickly and articulately respond to debate questions, would not be favorable to Biden, in contrast to DeSantis.

EDIT: It really does pain me to write the above as I really do like Biden as a person and leader.

Absolutely agree about Biden, but it is what it is.

DeSantis isn't all that charismatic in debates. I thought Crist defeated him pretty soundly in the debate, but those mean little in the scheme of things these days. But DeSantis was very boring. He's more known for getting in a black student's face and telling him to take off his mask, fighting Disney and such.. but he's definitely not Trump in terms of riling up a crowd (and I always thought Trump's "charisma" was overrated. For me, its more like watching a car wreck).

I feel like the arguments I'm hearing about Biden are not unlike what we heard about him in 2020, and he won with 7 million votes. So I think he'd handle himself well against DeSantis. There's always the unknown, but DeSantis is an untested national candidate, and Florida is definitely its own state, and what flies there may not fly elsewhere.

However, I do think he's the republicans best chance. He represents what they like about Trump with much less of the BS. The question with DeSantis is, can he drive turnout nationally? Independents who broke for Biden would probably swing back for DeSantis, but would the turnout be there? Who the hell knows.

I agree 100% that he could be more dangerous than Trump, but I'm so sick of the circus freak that even DeathSantis is more agreeable to me. I know that may come as a surprise to some people here, but at least with DeSantis, I can understand the appeal even if I don't agree with it.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Absolutely agree about Biden, but it is what it is.

DeSantis isn't all that charismatic in debates. I thought Crist defeated him pretty soundly in the debate, but those mean little in the scheme of things these days. But DeSantis was very boring. He's more known for getting in a black student's face and telling him to take off his mask, fighting Disney and such.. but he's definitely not Trump in terms of riling up a crowd (and I always thought Trump's "charisma" was overrated. For me, its more like watching a car wreck).

I feel like the arguments I'm hearing about Biden are not unlike what we heard about him in 2020, and he won with 7 million votes. So I think he'd handle himself well against DeSantis. There's always the unknown, but DeSantis is an untested national candidate, and Florida is definitely its own state, and what flies there may not fly elsewhere.

However, I do think he's the republicans best chance. He represents what they like about Trump with much less of the BS. The question with DeSantis is, can he drive turnout nationally? Independents who broke for Biden would probably swing back for DeSantis, but would the turnout be there? Who the hell knows.

I agree 100% that he could be more dangerous than Trump, but I'm so sick of the circus freak that even DeathSantis is more agreeable to me. I know that may come as a surprise to some people here, but at least with DeSantis, I can understand the appeal even if I don't agree with it.

Trump exposed that the entire country is full of voters who are Florida Man. So it’s no surprise they’d turned to Florida for their leadership.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
What I'm concerned about is how Biden will age over the next two years and the optics of him going against a healthy/fit/articulate DeSantis. Especially on the debate stage. Biden's walking stride has progressively degraded over the last few years. As has his speech.

That would first become apparent at the beginning of a debate where both candidates simultaneously walk out from stage left/right to shake hands before going to their podiums.

Also...being able to quickly and articulately respond to debate questions, would not be favorable to Biden, in contrast to DeSantis.

EDIT: It really does pain me to write the above as I really do like Biden as a person and leader.
100% right there with you. Dems really need to go with a younger, articulate candidate and gently take Biden aside and tell him it's time to step away. I don't have a problem with Biden but there's no way he can debate DeSantis and win. If only I felt Americans could get over their homophobia and give Buttigieg a chance. Pete can definitely debate and he does it well.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score

For awhile I was thinking that "at least" DeSantis understands the executive branch is not all there is to American government. Then I started looking at some of his machinations while governor of Florida. The guy is not as much of a loose cannon as Trump is, for sure, but he has the same contempt for other voices on decision-making when it comes to governing, and the same inclination to find workarounds to make things go his way.

On turnout issues for 2024, and how DeSantis will fare, way too soon to tell. Yeah DeSantis only has name recognition for most of us who are news and politics junkies, but now that the Murdoch empire has put paid to the Trump era in its own circles, that means more conservatives watching Fox, reading WSJ / NY Post will be reading fluff pieces about DeSantis and any other right-leaning pols that seem to gain traction.

On Biden: who knows if he could stand for re-election again, or serve well if re-elected. First of all though, he's not a willful idiot like Trump is, e.g. he took advice from advisers and political strategists during the midterms on where to show up and where to let the Dem candidates have some daylight. If he has already decided not to run again, he'll let us know at a better time than right after withstanding a political onslaught that by all "voting yer pocketbook" metrics should have served up an 80-vote House loss but has left the Rs wondering if they can clear 10 or 12.

Was the Dems' successful defense against a complete rout all to Biden's credit? Hell no, Donald Trump even chipped in. The Rs seem self-aware enough this week to realize that much. I wouldn't pay much mind to what Rs have to say about Mr. Biden this week. It's part sour grapes, part distraction from their own situation: not wanting Trump, not wanting to lose his base, not wanting to launch appearance of underwriting a DeSantis campaign two days after midterms.

In the meantime I'm happy enough that the Rs do seem inclined to take this breather from campaigning to start putting more daylight between them and their now former icon of party. Trump's not done blathering, but for this new window in the post-midterms, he's left with only vague threats of blackmail now instead of being able to leverage any value of his endorsement.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Personally, I think with DeSantis, everything he does will be in the open, which is at least where these battles on issues should be fought. Unless there's something we don't know, DeSantis follows the law and is a family man. Even if he tries to push laws, norms and rules to the limits based on his liking, that's a far cry from Trump, who tries to erode the guardrails not just for political benefit, but so that he can actually break the law. DeSantis comes across like a high pressure salesman who will bleed you dry through legal methods, whereas Trump is a loan shark who operates illegally while also breaking into your house to rob by force anything he thinks you still owe him, all the while claiming to have done nothing wrong at all. And while DeSantis is Trump-light when it comes to matters of race and "wokeness", he doesn't flat-out court racists the same way Trump does (I know DeSantis' history and get it... I have issues, but he's still not Trump). I guess I'd rather have someone who's only patronizing on matters of race than someone who can't even condemn outright white supremacy on a national stage.

I understand the risks of DeSantis, fully, and maybe I'm naïve to think he's not as much as an immediate threat as Trump (or worse), who's style is not sustainable. But we're already getting DeSantis with Trump, with tons of baggage. I guess even a slow and willful lurch to something bad is better than tearing the fabric open and having a free for all, which is what we've had with Trump. DeSantis represents more of an ebb and flow presidency to me, something this nation is used to, whereas Trump was a tornado.

Here's a good analogy, I hope... you know how we sometimes say the people who don't know they're racists are worse than the ones who are? Well, I'd still take someone polite who doesn't empathize with me over someone calling me the n-word.

But either way, right now... this is all just theorizing because DeSantis hasn't shown himself to have any more brass with taking on Trump than anyone else. Hell, Mike Pence has more of a fighting attitude, and he's about as tepid as you can get for a guy who got a mob unleashed on him.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
After the midterm results it seems the major media of both sides is prepared to take a massive shit on Trump if he announces a run, dare I say the most massive shit on an announcement of all time in history. Bigly.
It's already happening!

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1590660593119162368/
(plus losing the popular vote in 2016)

Also Jimmy Kimmel's hilarious (+ embarrassing) compilation for TFG:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
If Trump gets clobbered right out the gate at least he can spend his free time focusing on the half dozen lawsuits threatening to strip him of all his wealth and land him in prison. It’s nice to have something to fall back on and important for people to have a hobby in their retirement years. Keeps the mind alert. Good for him. Nobody is more deserving.

lizkat

Reaction score
Hilarious. MTG posts about "enemies quacking in their boots" then fixes typo but leaves both tweets up... the one with the typo has more likes and she probably won't even take it down. Some of the duck memes ending up in replies are cute.

getting ducks in a row.jpg

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hilarious. MTG posts about "enemies quacking in their boots" then fixes typo but leaves both tweets up... the one with the typo has more likes and she probably won't even take it down. Some of the duck memes ending up in replies are cute.

View attachment 19084

She's right though. The prospect of her supporters attempting to use basic math skills is horrifying. Notice she said "trying". That implies a lot of trial and error trying to figure out counting.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

View attachment 19084

You wonder how someone like this gets elected, and then you see the Fox News comments on a story were blaming an abortion measure failing with voters in Montana was because of how it was worded.

lizkat

Reaction score
Do you think the news is getting to him?

Guy is delusional. Meanwhile his Trump.Org case is going swimmingly, an underling in his prior accounting firm testified today that entries in the ledger were doctored, and copies of some of it were put up on a screen for the jury to look at.

Between losing court cases and being shown the door by Fox, WSJ and NYPost, it's probably hard for Trump to keep it together. In fact I wonder if someone is helping him make his social media posts. Always someone ready to pitch in for a failed politician seeking re-election. Not sure it's a quality level helper at this point though.

Anyway those post snapshots do at least look like decent translations of ketchup applied to a handy wall in the past 48 hours.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I realized why right wing media has to hammer on Trump for the midterms. The only other option is to entertain the possibility that voters actually approve of Democrats and they sure as fuck aren’t going to mention abortion. But before we think right wing media woke up or finally grew some stones, if his candidates overwhelmingly won they’d still be preaching and glorifying Trump lead fascism right now.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I realized why right wing media has to hammer on Trump for the midterms. The only other option is to entertain the possibility that voters actually approve of Democrats and they sure as fuck aren’t going to mention abortion. But before we think right wing media woke up or finally grew some stones, if his candidates overwhelmingly won they’d still be preaching and glorifying Trump lead fascism right now.

I’m curious to see if Kari Lake wins in Arizona if they would try to turn around the narrative and go running back. If Trump was smart, he’d try to praise DeSantis and take credit in a way that benefits both, and then trout Lake if she wins.

Who knows what will happen, but Trump is not a smart man, and he can handle absolutely nothing but praise and worship. DeSantis has said nothing publicly to disparage Trump, many of the base like (or used to like) both.. so the fact that Trump hasn’t even announced yet and is attacking someone who also hasn’t announced yet is kind of surprising. He didn’t just toss out a nickname, he really really disparaged DeSantis.

I didn’t expect it to get this heated this quickly. Trump is on a roll, lol.

*It’s already made headlines and he posted a subsequent comment where he again refers to DeSantis as “Ron DeSanctimonious”.

Last edited:

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
That sounds like his words, but someone else's writing.

The part where he called Andrew Gillum a “crack head” sounds like some Stephen Miller or other white nationalist Trump lackey. It does sound a bit too detailed and structured for a typical Trump rant. But the end result is a major shot fired from a guy who hasn’t announced yet against a governor who was literally re-elected two days ago, who himself has not announced a run yet.

Trump has jumped so far ahead of this and DeSantis has said nothing. I imagine at some point DeSantis will have to address this in some fashion.

Top Bottom
1 2