How can there not be a COVID-19 thread?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
We're currently undergoing a fourth wave, Trump didn't help but America is full of entitled people who are more than happy to sacrifice everyone else's life just so they can go to the bar and that's the core of the problem.
No, leadership matters. No matter how much I think a lot of Trump voters are selfish jerks, I know for a fact that they worshiped the guy. So if he made it “patriotic” to wear masks and stay home, they would have done it. Even if all members of a cult are idiots, it doesn’t absolve the cult leader of spiking their kool-aid.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
No, leadership matters. No matter how much I think a lot of Trump voters are selfish jerks, I know for a fact that they worshiped the guy. So if he made it “patriotic” to wear masks and stay home, they would have done it. Even if all members of a cult are idiots, it doesn’t absolve the cult leader of spiking their kool-aid.
Now that Trump is gone who will you blame?

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Judging from what I read, it's still them & 45. Nothing has changed.

They've just taking doubling or tripling down as some kind of badge of honor.

Their excuses haven't changed why they won't wear masks or it's their body or whatever crap they make up to rationalize. So the blame doesn't change. They & 45 own that shit.

If 45 wasn't so self obsessed & got it into his hardened skull that making mask wearing an issue was good thing for himself, that behavior wouldn't be engrained into many of the other @$$holes of today.

I also don't give a flying frik if Birx gives an interview a day to the point she's giving interviews to local grade school newspapers. She isn't rewriting history and removing her complicity in making this worse than it had to be.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Judging from what I read, it's still them & 45. Nothing has changed.

They've just taking doubling or tripling down as some kind of badge of honor.

Their excuses haven't changed why they won't wear masks or it's their body or whatever crap they make up to rationalize. So the blame doesn't change. They & 45 own that shit.

If 45 wasn't so self obsessed & got it into his hardened skull that making mask wearing an issue was good thing for himself, that behavior wouldn't be engrained into many of the other @$$holes of today.

I also don't give a flying frik if Birx gives an interview a day to the point she's giving interviews to local grade school newspapers. She isn't rewriting history and removing her complicity in making this worse than it had to be.
Don't get me wrong, I think we all agree that Trump is directly responsible for a large portion of these deaths and acted with total reckless abandonment. We also have a large percentage of the population who would never believe the facts as well and even without Trump to bolster them they still are just as dangerous and selfish.

IMO Trump gave these crazy ass people a platform but him leaving doesn't change who they are, the best we can hope for is them no longer being legitimized and to a degree I think we're already seeing that.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
One’s influence does not end the day they leave office. They don’t let war criminals go free the day the war ends. Actions have consequences, some long-lasting.

The damage has already been done and Trump’s followers are still clinging to the anti-mask fallacy.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I think we all agree that Trump is directly responsible for a large portion of these deaths and acted with total reckless abandonment. We also have a large percentage of the population who would never believe the facts as well and even without Trump to bolster them they still are just as dangerous and selfish.

IMO Trump gave these crazy ass people a platform but him leaving doesn't change who they are, the best we can hope for is them no longer being legitimized and to a degree I think we're already seeing that.
These crazies would be less dangerous if they hadn’t been encouraged to be even dumber and crazier and more stubborn about it by the king of the idiots.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
One’s influence does not end the day they leave office. They don’t let war criminals go free the day the war ends. Actions have consequences, some long-lasting.

The damage has already been done and Trump’s followers are still clinging to the anti-mask fallacy.
Karen's will still be Karen's. Blaming one man for everything is not the answer, he just gave them a boost.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score

Exactly.

It doesn't matter if 45 happened or not.

The blame NOW goes to the same people who will tell others they are from the party of "personal responsibility".

It's on them. They own their shit, whether 45 or not.

The real question is who they blame if crap goes south because of their behavior. Because to them, it isn't them or 45's fault for their actions then.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Exactly.

It doesn't matter if 45 happened or not.

The blame NOW goes to the same people who will tell others they are from the party of "personal responsibility".

It's on them. They own their shit, whether 45 or not.

The real question is who they blame if crap goes south because of their behavior. Because to them, it isn't them or 45's fault for their actions then.
^ This. You've never seen a more self-serving group of people "I don't have to wear my mask if I choose not to" while spreading the virus is one of the most selfish things I've ever seen from a Republican and that's saying something.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
The CDC director’s impassioned “doom” speech is a perfect example of why at least half the country doesn’t trust the left and think they are little more than hyperbolic blowhards on some serious issues.

it’s been over a year now. People know the score. The people who take it seriously will continue to. People who thought it was a hoax from day one, well, God will sort them out. It’s important to share information and concerns, but pleading to take it seriously this late in the game isn’t going to win any points and will in fact lose some. We’ve come a long way and there may be more localized surges, but we really don’t need somebody in a leadership role acting like it’s a forgone conclusion that the worst is yet to come while holding back tears. Again, share the facts and concerns, dial the emotions back.

U

User.45

The CDC director’s impassioned “doom” speech is a perfect example of why at least half the country doesn’t trust the left and think they are little more than hyperbolic blowhards on some serious issues.

it’s been over a year now. People know the score. The people who take it seriously will continue to. People who thought it was a hoax from day one, well, God will sort them out. It’s important to share information and concerns, but pleading to take it seriously this late in the game isn’t going to win any points and will in fact lose some. We’ve come a long way and there may be more localized surges, but we really don’t need somebody in a leadership role acting like it’s a forgone conclusion that the worst is yet to come while holding back tears. Again, share the facts and concerns, dial the emotions back.
I strongly disagree. It's her way to emphasize the importance of keeping up with the individual pandemic measures. She's talking about a new wave that's already fucking up Europe and it is worse than the actual winter wave and is AFAIK due to the British variant, way nastier than the wild-type strain. Trying everything, including pleading to nip this in the bud is not hyperbole or poor leadership, or even weakness. It's the opposite. We've been heavily criticizing Birx's style here (something I tend to agree with). She did say in her CNN interview how an irate Trump gave her a very nasty call threatening her after she emphasized how big a problem we are facing. We now have (real) leadership that allows the experts to express their concerns. It's a good thing.

She's also right. We can actually prevent this wave by getting everybody vaccinated, and the slightly lower vaccine efficacy against this strain (AFAIK) will requires a higher population proportion to be vaccinated for herd immunity. So when states like Texas try to pretend like all's good, we have to do everything to remind people that not yet.

So you giving up on covidiots, doesn't mean that she should too.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I strongly disagree. It's her way to emphasize the importance of keeping up with the individual pandemic measures. She's talking about a new wave that's already fucking up Europe and it is worse than the actual winter wave and is AFAIK due to the British variant, way nastier than the wild-type strain. Trying everything, including pleading to nip this in the bud is not hyperbole or poor leadership, or even weakness. It's the opposite. We've been heavily criticizing Birx's style here (something I tend to agree with). She did say in her CNN interview how an irate Trump gave her a very nasty call threatening her after she emphasized how big a problem we are facing. We now have (real) leadership that allows the experts to express their concerns. It's a good thing.

She's also right. We can actually prevent this wave by getting everybody vaccinated, and the slightly lower vaccine efficacy against this strain (AFAIK) will requires a higher population proportion to be vaccinated for herd immunity. So when states like Texas try to pretend like all's good, we have to do everything to remind people that not yet.

So you giving up on covidiots, doesn't mean that she should too.

If she’s trying to reach out to the covidiots she needs to learn how to communicate with them. They certainly aren’t going to finally take it seriously from a perceived performative bleeding heart liberal. “I thought it was a hoax until I saw the lady almost pass out from hypothetical scenario depression. Now I get it. If only Trump put it to me like that.” My main point is the facts can be shared and said that they need to be taken seriously. Like has been mentioned in this thread, the main reason we have a lot of covidiots is because of Trump and his sycophants. The overwhelming response as to why Trump’s supporters like him (and can blow off his unlimited flaws) is because he fights and is tough, their words. So you aren’t going to win these people over with tearful begging.

We have a big communication problem in this country and it’s not just that we aren’t listening to each other, but also from putting close to zero effort into trying to communicate to the other side in terms they can relate to and you can also win them over with. There used to be diplomacy. Now we might as well be speaking a foreign language with only the words “No. You’re wrong. Fuck you.” In common.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
If she’s trying to reach out to the covidiots she needs to learn how to communicate with them. They certainly aren’t going to finally take it seriously from a perceived performative bleeding heart liberal. “I thought it was a hoax until I saw the lady almost pass out from hypothetical scenario depression. Now I get it. If only Trump put it to me like that.” My main point is the facts can be shared and said that they need to be taken seriously. Like has been mentioned in this thread, the main reason we have a lot of covidiots is because of Trump and his sycophants. The overwhelming response as to why Trump’s supporters like him (and can blow off his unlimited flaws) is because he fights and is tough, their words. So you aren’t going to win these people over with tearful begging.

We have a big communication problem in this country and it’s not just that we aren’t listening to each other, but also from putting close to zero effort into trying to communicate to the other side in terms they can relate to and you can also win them over with. There used to be diplomacy. Now we might as well be speaking a foreign language with only the words “No. You’re wrong. Fuck you.” In common.
How would you suggest she transmit facts to the Fox News crowd? Thing is, the fact that she got emotional ended up getting her at least on the radar of Fox, even if it was just to mock her. If she gave a dry boring speech with facts, it never would have gotten any airtime on such news sources.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

Man, I get that you have a grind with the left but all they've done is advocate for science and reason this entire time. How about showing the crazies on the right a little of that disdain? They are directly responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands because they couldn't be bothered to socially distance or wear a mask.

The CDC director is impassioned for a reason, dismissing the death of a half million Americans is a far greater problem. I don't envy her job but am glad she's at least trying.

BTW if you're not taking this thing seriously now you never will. I just hope you're at least following the guidelines.

U

User.45

I think you are really missing the point. You are trying to break this issue down along party lines and it's wrong. if somebody thinks of the CDC director as a bleeding heart liberal, sure they are hopeless. But this plead also intends to reach those who'd listen but 1) getting demoralized, 2) starting to have a perception that we've "turned the corner" with the vaccines coming. I also do want to emphasize that female leaders are perceived to have issues containing their emotions. Such utter bullshit really pisses me off, when women have a much better understanding of emotions both their's and others'. FFS she's a faculty at Harvard, the most cut throat place in academia (personal experience). She knows what she's doing...

At the end of the day, you think it's gonna be her or Birx who'll be commemorated as having the right approach?

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
How would you suggest she transmit facts to the Fox News crowd? Thing is, the fact that she got emotional ended up getting her at least on the radar of Fox, even if it was just to mock her. If she gave a dry boring speech with facts, it never would have gotten any airtime on such news sources.
Man, I get that you have a grind with the left but all they've done is advocate for science and reason this entire time. How about showing the crazies on the right a little of that disdain? They are directly responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands because they couldn't be bothered to socially distance or wear a mask.

The CDC director is impassioned for a reason, dismissing the death of a half million Americans is a far greater problem. I don't envy her job but am glad she's at least trying.

BTW if you're not taking this thing seriously now you never will. I just hope you're at least following the guidelines.
I think you are really missing the point. You are trying to break this issue down along party lines and it's wrong. if somebody thinks of the CDC director as a bleeding heart liberal, sure they are hopeless. But this plead also intends to reach those who'd listen but 1) getting demoralized, 2) starting to have a perception that we've "turned the corner" with the vaccines coming. I also do want to emphasize that female leaders are perceived to have issues containing their emotions. Such utter bullshit really pisses me off, when women have a much better understanding of emotions both their's and others'. FFS she's a faculty at Harvard, the most cut throat place in academia (personal experience). She knows what she's doing...

At the end of the day, you think it's gonna be her or Birx who'll be commemorated as having the right approach?

A threefer!

I know I'm painting with broad strokes here and there's always a possibility I'm talking out of my ass, but not on purpose. I'm just saying there's a good possibility you could have a recently more open minded covidiot watching and "That seemed informative. Maybe I should be more vigilante than my local government seems to think I should be. Wait. Hold up. Oh Jesus, now they're going with the emotional sky is falling schtick again. Never mind. I knew this was an overblown hoax the Democrats are using to destroy the economy and turn us into a welfare state they control." That's mostly my point.

This makes me think about security theater, something we are surrounded by everyday that keeps us (maybe unrealistically) comfortable so there's no total breakdown and panic. The most obvious example is the TSA at the airport who is supposed to make us feel safe but the fact is a terrorist could still take down a plane if they really wanted to. An evil example of this would be the Nazis putting nice flowerbeds between the trains and the gas chambers while telling the victims they were just going to take a shower to prevent panic and revolt. In this example and in this climate not keeping your composure can be seen by some that you are way overreacting and therefor they don't know what to believe, if any of it. I haven't read Fox's take on this, but I assume that is their angle?

I've taken things seriously from the beginning and am lucky enough to live in a state that also did early on and continues to use a data based approach to how to reopen and there's always a possibility things could go back to being more restrictive if that data changes. I'm fine with that. I've also been lucky enough to keep my job and work full time this entire time. So I can't personally relate to the millions who have suffered from that end of things, but can logically understand their frustration.

Now in the news it seems there's like the new variant of the week. I don't even know what we're supposed to do with that information. Wear a different mask for each variant? I could easily see how this to some paints a picture that the Democrats just never want this to end. "We're finally getting vaccinated, and at record levels!! Yay! But wait. Lurking around the corner there's a creeping variant! Can our vaccines keep up!?! We may never know! What's that I see out of the corner of my eye? It's another variant!"

I know my sometimes mission on here is still getting missed by many, and that's fine and I understand it, but I don't go down these roads to say the left sucks and the right is awesome. This event probably won't make my list but I am taking notes for if/when Congress flips or we get another Republican president to explain what could possibly caused that to happen, aside from the balls out cheating from the right. Maybe someday we will have the numbers to triumph over idiots but we aren't there yet.

Honestly I think the left needs a "I know how the right is going to spin this" department that is always ahead of the ball and LOUDLY unspinning whatever it is. That should be a big part of everything they do and it shouldn't be tackled by some stuffy status quo "Well that's just preposterous what they are saying". That's giving the deplorables red meat and they aren't going away anytime soon.

Look, man :D I know it's only been several months of Biden's Presidency. So I may be hitting this drum a little too soon and a little too loud. I just know as a lefty we have a long history of falling asleep through a presidency when it's one of ours at the helm and then we wake up one day and Trump's the president. WFT? How could that happen? Everything was going great, wasn't it?

U

User.45

A threefer!

I know I'm painting with broad strokes here and there's always a possibility I'm talking out of my ass, but not on purpose. I'm just saying there's a good possibility you could have a recently more open minded covidiot watching and "That seemed informative. Maybe I should be more vigilante than my local government seems to think I should be. Wait. Hold up. Oh Jesus, now they're going with the emotional sky is falling schtick again. Never mind. I knew this was an overblown hoax the Democrats are using to destroy the economy and turn us into a welfare state they control." That's mostly my point.

This makes me think about security theater, something we are surrounded by everyday that keeps us (maybe unrealistically) comfortable so there's no total breakdown and panic. The most obvious example is the TSA at the airport who is supposed to make us feel safe but the fact is a terrorist could still take down a plane if they really wanted to. An evil example of this would be the Nazis putting nice flowerbeds between the trains and the gas chambers while telling the victims they were just going to take a shower to prevent panic and revolt. In this example and in this climate not keeping your composure can be seen by some that you are way overreacting and therefor they don't know what to believe, if any of it. I haven't read Fox's take on this, but I assume that is their angle?

I've taken things seriously from the beginning and am lucky enough to live in a state that also did early on and continues to use a data based approach to how to reopen and there's always a possibility things could go back to being more restrictive if that data changes. I'm fine with that. I've also been lucky enough to keep my job and work full time this entire time. So I can't personally relate to the millions who have suffered from that end of things, but can logically understand their frustration.

Now in the news it seems there's like the new variant of the week. I don't even know what we're supposed to do with that information. Wear a different mask for each variant? I could easily see how this to some paints a picture that the Democrats just never want this to end. "We're finally getting vaccinated, and at record levels!! Yay! But wait. Lurking around the corner there's a creeping variant! Can our vaccines keep up!?! We may never know! What's that I see out of the corner of my eye? It's another variant!"

I know my sometimes mission on here is still getting missed by many, and that's fine and I understand it, but I don't go down these roads to say the left sucks and the right is awesome. This event probably won't make my list but I am taking notes for if/when Congress flips or we get another Republican president to explain what could possibly caused that to happen, aside from the balls out cheating from the right. Maybe someday we will have the numbers to triumph over idiots but we aren't there yet.

Honestly I think the left needs a "I know how the right is going to spin this" department that is always ahead of the ball and LOUDLY unspinning whatever it is. That should be a big part of everything they do and it shouldn't be tackled by some stuffy status quo "Well that's just preposterous what they are saying". That's giving the deplorables red meat and they aren't going away anytime soon.

Look, man :D I know it's only been several months of Biden's Presidency. So I may be hitting this drum a little too soon and a little too loud. I just know as a lefty we have a long history of falling asleep through a presidency when it's one of ours at the helm and then we wake up one day and Trump's the president. WFT? How could that happen? Everything was going great, wasn't it?
I do get where you're coming from and I generally appreciate your skepticism (including here). Yet, there are limits of reasons where I'm willing to, or really care about what right wing nuts might think. Reasonable people on the right appreciate the issues with COVID too, and I do think it is time to unpoliticize COVID. Again the blind spot here is that it's not only Republicans who are demoralized. It's everybody, including physicians and nurses.

The strain issue does not seem to be clear so I'll try to clarify. Viruses mutate. RNA-based viruses mutate faster (this reminds me Seddy calling it a retrovirus, which it is not, LOL). The higher number of cases, the more mutations. While the majority of mutations are inconsequential, some of them confer evolutionary advantage which include faster spread (if we're lucky, paired with less severe disease), and later on as immunity emerges, ability to evade immunity to the wild-type strain, i.e. reopen the pool of potentially infectable people. So keeping the cases down reduces the number of mutational events and with it the probability of consequential mutations that could render the present vaccines/immunity ineffective. The more we allow cases to rise in a partially immunized population allowing newer and newer variants to test whether they can breach current immunity, the higher the evolutionary pressure for a resistant strain to emerge. It's like the hubris of the Titanic.

So yeah, her concern is that we shouldn't push our luck and what is currently forming may be much more devastating than the "run-of-the-mill" waves we've already seen.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I do get where you're coming from and I generally appreciate your skepticism (including here). Yet, there are limits of reasons where I'm willing to, or really care about what right wing nuts might think. Reasonable people on the right appreciate the issues with COVID too, and I do think it is time to unpoliticize COVID. Again the blind spot here is that it's not only Republicans who are demoralized. It's everybody, including physicians and nurses.

The strain issue does not seem to be clear so I'll try to clarify. Viruses mutate. RNA-based viruses mutate faster (this reminds me Seddy calling it a retrovirus, which it is not, LOL). The higher number of cases, the more mutations. While the majority of mutations are inconsequential, some of them confer evolutionary advantage which include faster spread (if we're lucky, paired with less severe disease), and later on as immunity emerges, ability to evade immunity to the wild-type strain, i.e. reopen the pool of potentially infectable people. So keeping the cases down reduces the number of mutational events and with it the probability of consequential mutations that could render the present vaccines/immunity ineffective. The more we allow cases to rise in a partially immunized population allowing newer and newer variants to test whether they can breach current immunity, the higher the evolutionary pressure for a resistant strain to emerge. It's like the hubris of the Titanic.

So yeah, her concern is that we shouldn't push our luck and what is currently forming may be much more devastating than the "run-of-the-mill" waves we've already seen.

I'm not disagreeing with you and I do sometimes make light of things. I'm saying if we really care about saving lives, regardless of party, then there should be some serious effort to not providing fox news with sound bytes they can advertise as "Look at this emotional wreck. How can you trust somebody that unstable". From the left that's validly showing some humanity, but it's also preaching to the choir. I'm in no way saying it was an act. Again, from the left I'm sure there's "How dare you ask her to clamp down her viseral reaction. This is real life!" I understand that. Just don't pretend you care about the lives (or deciding votes) of people who don't agree with you or think what works/connects for you does the same for them. Even if you think they are monsters and that is unquestionably true they still have the power to bring a world of hurt to you or your likeminded compatriots in regions you have no say in. White supremacists are equally as confident in their beliefs and actions and if that wasn't resinating then they wouldn't be the top internal threat the FBI claims they are.

But I also acknowledge that I don't think anybody in this thread said "That was the defining moment. Nobody can question it now." I just dropped into this thread to say that may not go over well with some people, the people who will most likely extend the virus and related deaths longer than needs to be.

U

User.45

One more comment:
I'm not disagreeing with you and I do sometimes make light of things. I'm saying if we really care about saving lives, regardless of party, then there should be some serious effort to not providing fox news with sound bytes they can advertise as "Look at this emotional wreck. How can you trust somebody that unstable". From the left that's validly showing some humanity, but it's also preaching to the choir. I'm in no way saying it was an act. Again, from the left I'm sure there's "How dare you ask her to clamp down her viseral reaction. This is real life!" I understand that. Just don't pretend you care about the lives (or deciding votes) of people who don't agree with you or think what works/connects for you does the same for them. Even if you think they are monsters and that is unquestionably true they still have the power to bring a world of hurt to you or your likeminded compatriots in regions you have no say in. White supremacists are equally as confident in their beliefs and actions and if that wasn't resinating then they wouldn't be the top internal threat the FBI claims they are.

But I also acknowledge that I don't think anybody in this thread said "That was the defining moment. Nobody can question it now." I just dropped into this thread to say that may not go over well with some people, the people who will most likely extend the virus and related deaths longer than needs to be.
I really don't understand the point. Your issue is shit not working on insane people? Shall we start catering to insanity now? WTF:) Again it's time to move these matters out of the realms of partisanship and move it to the realms of sanity.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
One more comment:

I really don't understand the point. Your issue is shit not working on insane people? Shall we start catering to insanity now? WTF:) Again it's time to move these matters out of the realms of partisanship and move it to the realms of sanity.
At least half the country is insane and wielding the right to vote while successfully (for now) repressing the vote of sane people. Are you really confident they can be outvoted at this point? Have the deplorables returned to under their rocks or decreased in number? Do you honestly believe "Just stop being insane" is going to change anything? Maybe for the comfort level of this thread, but in the outside world? I can easily see it as "Hush. The adults are speaking." which is both true and kind of hilariously insulting. "My point" ultimately doesn't matter if "the point" of this Covid-19 thread is just to share knowledge and agree with each other. I'm suggesting maybe we try to think about better responding to insane people. I find it kind of disappointing that the traditional party of mental health issues advocacy stops short of indoctrination mental health issues, fuck them. Call back when you've been both human trafficked and told the left is a bunch of lying evil communists. I don't plan to frequently pop in here and drop negativity. I've already made non controversial posts in this thread. I'm not a one note buzzkill pony. I just wanted to share this specific event.

Honestly I don't think this specific moment is a big deal or red check mark. I just brought it up and responded, sometimes at great length, to discuss this specific aspect of covid reporting and how each side has decided to treat it in their narrative. Hey, maybe if I stop sharing it then it isn't actually happening and we won't have to think about it because its icky negative boo.

Top Bottom
1 2