How can there not be a COVID-19 thread?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
The CDC can say whatever they want, but the Biden admin rule overrides their guidance. And right now the Biden admin is saying masking on charter flights is required.

I will be completely honest on this. I am more outraged at the idea of the "Rules for thee, but not for me" attitudes of lawmakers on BOTH sides. This one just happens to be Dems behaving badly. I care more about that than them actually not being masked.

And I am surprised at members of this board NOT being outraged over this as over the past year+ the mantra was all about following the rules and being masked and I was a horrible person because I hate masks etc. But I will say one thing, there is not one single time (at least not that I remember) that I failed to wear a mask when or where it was required.

Let me give you a little hint. I am not a registered Republican. In fact, I am registered as a Democrat.

But to answer some of your questions. These are my opinions, so there are no sources.

I don't believe climate change is a "myth", I simply don't think increased taxes are the solution.

I don't believe Obama is Muslim. I believe he could be a Muslim sympathizer.

I believe we need to control the guns in the hands of criminals, not law-abiding citizens. Control those first, then we can talk.

I am not opposed to abortion. I just think you should be able to make that decision within the first trimester. Mid-second at the latest. Just like most of the European countries people like to hold up as examples. Some European countries even have mandatory waiting periods. Abortion should be safe, legal and rare. I do not agree with those who celebrate their abortions.

There has to be be some element of trickle down in any working economic model. If I want to buy a $10M yacht, there are a lot of people who will earn a living from my purchase. If we as a country only bought things we need, our economy would be a mess. Consumption is a driving force in a healthy economy. But like anything, too much will start causing harm.

…based on?

B S Magnet

Site Champ
Reaction score
The bans on late term (3rd trimester) can stand unless medically necessary.

Yes, sir. Under His eye, sir.

As for celebrating abortion, are you 100% sure you want to make such a definitive statement?

Go back and slowly — sloooowly — re-read @Alli’s post.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I do. And I hope SCOTUS slaps the majority of them down. The bans on late term (3rd trimester) can stand unless medically necessary.

As for celebrating abortion, are you 100% sure you want to make such a definitive statement? So what would you consider "celebrating"? Just want to make sure we are on the same page discussing it.
Celebrating abortion….come on Dude…
As a seperate comment, as a general rule the human race can do with a ton less of unwanted pregnancies. This is one of the ironies of Conservatives/GOP who want government out of our lives, they make a huge exception for abortion and suppressing the vote. Of course it could be questioned is today’s GOP actually conservative ot just grabbers of power?

D

Deleted member 199

An FDA approval is still one of the highest standards to meet. Lower efficacy isn't a major issue as long as data is adequately established and a contingency plan is generated. The latter is my major issue with countries where there are vaccines with less evidence used.
I’m not suggesting the fda standards are bad or wrong.

im simply pointing out that some places have zero choice of vaccine - it’s one shit choice or nothing.

just recently the government here was caught out, discussing how many health workers (who had all been given 2 doses of sinovac) were getting sick and dying still, and the concern raised was “if we give them Pfizer or something else as a 3rd/booster dose it’ll look bad because we told people sinovac is fine”.

every time I see news about results of sinovac related real world results it just paints a worse and worse picture.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I do. And I hope SCOTUS slaps the majority of them down. The bans on late term (3rd trimester) can stand unless medically necessary.

As for celebrating abortion, are you 100% sure you want to make such a definitive statement? So what would you consider "celebrating"? Just want to make sure we are on the same page discussing it.
I am 100% certain. And while it’s nice of you to agree about the medically necessary part, the laws being written these days are allowing no excuses.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
U

User.45

Followup?

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1417318717059477508/

It doesn't seem to be the safety or lives of others or ridiculous claims about voting machines that will motivate Faux News

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1417305977796317187/

It's the threats of lawsuits that seem to do the trick.
It's like Trump's Jan 6 speech including the words lawfully and peacefully automatically undoes everything else.
I've taken care of patients with super rare autoimmune neurological disorders that can be potentially linked to a flu shot.
People who partake in air traval take higher risks yet Hannity doesn't tell people to think twice about flying.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Play stupid games….
You are who your choices are. So someone can seem like a decent person, but if they make terrible choices despite all the warnings what can be said about that? I know there are reasons other than Donald Trump, but can’t pass on a chance to say that shithead deserves much blame for absolutely terrible, self serving, disreputable, evil leadership.

Last edited:
U

User.45

Followup?

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1417318717059477508/

It doesn't seem to be the safety or lives of others or ridiculous claims about voting machines that will motivate Faux News

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1417305977796317187/

It's the threats of lawsuits that seem to do the trick.
What pisses me off about this, is you don't have to discuss it with your doctor unless you have a unique medical history most people don't have. You just go and get the fucking shot. It's like telling people to consult a lawyer before getting an insurance.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Also, the investigation continues...

Back in May, a group of scientists — many at the top of the virology field — shifted the debate about the origins of COVID-19. They published a letter in the journal Science saying the lab-leak theory needs to be taken more seriously by the scientific community.

Given the current evidence available, the scientists wrote, the outbreak is just as likely to have originated from a laboratory — specifically the Wuhan Institute of Virology, which studies coronaviruses — as from an infected animal. "We must take hypotheses about both natural and laboratory spillovers seriously until we have sufficient data," they concluded.

Now one of the scientists who signed that letter says new data has come to light. And that information, summarized in an online review, has changed his thinking.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

…based on?

I addressed this before. But he refused to say "Radical Islamic Terrorist" and insisted on calling ISIS ISIL when even the liberal media called it ISIS.

So it is just my opinion.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I am 100% certain. And while it’s nice of you to agree about the medically necessary part, the laws being written these days are allowing no excuses.

So proudly wearing a shirt that says "Ask me about my abortion" is not celebrating it?

U

User.45

Also, the investigation continues...

Back in May, a group of scientists — many at the top of the virology field — shifted the debate about the origins of COVID-19. They published a letter in the journal Science saying the lab-leak theory needs to be taken more seriously by the scientific community.

Given the current evidence available, the scientists wrote, the outbreak is just as likely to have originated from a laboratory — specifically the Wuhan Institute of Virology, which studies coronaviruses — as from an infected animal. "We must take hypotheses about both natural and laboratory spillovers seriously until we have sufficient data," they concluded.

Now one of the scientists who signed that letter says new data has come to light. And that information, summarized in an online review, has changed his thinking.
Heeeey. The money is in the subsequent paragraphs:

Why the locations of the market and the lab matter​

Then Garry did something that the WHO didn't: He added to the map the locations of the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market and the Wuhan Institute of Virology, where scientists study bat coronaviruses. "It's a very simple thing to do," Worobey says. "But it really paints a pretty clear picture, right?"

The dots show the cases starting right near the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market and then radiating out from there. "The Huanan market seems like the bull's-eye of this outbreak. It's pretty extraordinary."

What about cases near the Wuhan Institute of Virology (WIV), which is more than 10 miles from the market? "There are no cases around the WIV," Worobey says. "If the outbreak did start in the lab, the bottom line is, it would be odd for it not to be spreading from there rather than from elsewhere."

The other piece of data, which helped shift Worobey's thinking, concerns the products sold at the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market. Was there anything at the market that has been previously known to spread SARS coronaviruses?

Since the pandemic began, the Chinese government has claimed the vendors at the market didn't sell any illegal wildlife. "They said the market was operating completely legally," says biosecurity expert Gigi Gronvall at Johns Hopkins University. "And just on the face of it, you just know, that's not correct.

"And lo and behold, it's not," she adds.

Last month, researchers published a study showing that the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market was one of four markets in Wuhan selling illegal wildlife, including palm civets and raccoon dogs, which are both known to spread SARS-CoV-2. Scientists believe civets triggered the first SARS coronavirus pandemic, in 2003.

I wish people understood the difference between hypothesis and theory. It's literally lesson 1 or 2 in science 101. You can hypothesize anything, but for those to become theories you need consistent and considerable amount of supportive evidence, which was never really the case for the lab leak hypothesis.

I kinda feel bad about it, but the first thing I check when a scientist is referred to is their google scholar page:
This guy's legit.

U

User.45

It's off topic but he has no idea that just the terminology he uses gives away his sources on the topic. For a medical person "late-term" means absolutely nothing and this term is used exactly for this reason. The catch-all medical term is viability which is a moving target when it comes to foeti.

Thus far we have learnt that @Herdfan knows nothing about women (cis or trans), Blacks, Obama, Muslims, biology, ecology, economics, hell, even Hispanics. While I consider my duty to fight ignorance, I too have limits to my ambitions. I doubt we'd be able to rectify any of these deficiencies.

Top Bottom
1 2