How can there not be a COVID-19 thread?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
He needs to get reelected in 2022 first.

One would think so. But DeSantis is a part of TrumpWorld. Who the hell knows what could happen.

When Trump was defeated in 2020, a conversation I had with some kin had turned to pondering about "So what next?" for The Don and any hangers-on with ideas to pick up the nomination should he falter before 2024.

I had airily suggested that Trump followers would shun him and ignore his acolytes: "Once burned, twice shy."

"No way", the bro commented, and appended a quote from Johnathan Swift:

“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.”

Likewise it may not follow that the best candidate from Trump fans' viewpoint is a guy who sticks to traditional ways and means of climbing political ladders. For all we know DeSantis could resign and spend his erstwhile presumed re-election campaign season playing golf with Trump and schmoozing about 2024, then stump the country with The Don (or as his surrogate), then finally step into the convention spotlight at Trump's bidding on grounds that a win by DeSantis would give Trump fans eight more years of Trump-coached leadership of real Americans yada yada.

It seemed quite impossible that Trump could win election as president of this particular country back in the summer of 2015, and yet he won. At that moment a lot of other things unfortunately began to seem possible, and far too many of them have already actually occurred... including the fact that although Trump lost his re-election bid, he got even more votes in 2020 than the first time around.

See I think we've not so much landed in a "post-factual" era, more like around half the country has simply abandoned reason. Facts are fine to that crowd but they're optional stepping-stones as far as choiceful planning goes. We seem to have got stuck in an eternal now of social media buzz and bright ideas (or, outrage) with the half-life of a Fourth of July sparkler. With that as backdrop, the idea that The Don and The Ron have a lock on the future could seem comforting to Trump's die-hard followers. They get to rally on and not worry about a thing.

I sure God hope I'm just spinning a yarn here.

U

User.45

One would think so. But DeSantis is a part of TrumpWorld. Who the hell knows what could happen.

When Trump was defeated in 2020, a conversation I had with some kin had turned to pondering about "So what next?" for The Don and any hangers-on with ideas to pick up the nomination should he falter before 2024.

I had airily suggested that Trump followers would shun him and ignore his acolytes: "Once burned, twice shy."

"No way", the bro commented, and appended a quote from Johnathan Swift:

“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.”

Likewise it may not follow that the best candidate from Trump fans' viewpoint is a guy who sticks to traditional ways and means of climbing political ladders. For all we know DeSantis could resign and spend his erstwhile presumed re-election campaign season playing golf with Trump and schmoozing about 2024, then stump the country with The Don (or as his surrogate), then finally step into the convention spotlight at Trump's bidding on grounds that a win by DeSantis would give Trump fans eight more years of Trump-coached leadership of real Americans yada yada.

It seemed quite impossible that Trump could win election as president of this particular country back in the summer of 2015, and yet he won. At that moment a lot of other things unfortunately began to seem possible, and far too many of them have already actually occurred... including the fact that although Trump lost his re-election bid, he got even more votes in 2020 than the first time around.

See I think we've not so much landed in a "post-factual" era, more like around half the country has simply abandoned reason. Facts are fine to that crowd but they're optional stepping-stones as far as choiceful planning goes. We seem to have got stuck in an eternal now of social media buzz and bright ideas (or, outrage) with the half-life of a Fourth of July sparkler. With that as backdrop, the idea that The Don and The Ron have a lock on the future could seem comforting to Trump's die-hard followers. They get to rally on and not worry about a thing.

I sure God hope I'm just spinning a yarn here.
Fair enough.:D Question is, whether DeSantis' ego could handle such second hand role especially given how disposable Trump considers allies.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Fair enough.:D Question is, whether DeSantis' ego could handle such second hand role especially given how disposable Trump considers allies.

Good point, and a clash of monumental egos is entirely possible. Real question is whether DeSantis understands that danger or is already blinded by his ambition. I don't figure Trump to become any more predictable with respect to sudden lashings-out as time goes on, either. His behavior seems to reflect not just severe narcissim but also some level of neurological impairment.

U

User.45

Good point, and a clash of monumental egos is entirely possible. Real question is whether DeSantis understands that danger or is already blinded by his ambition. I don't figure Trump to become any more predictable with respect to sudden lashings-out as time goes on, either. His behavior seems to reflect not just severe narcissim but also some level of neurological impairment.
The interesting thing about personality disorders, is the requirement of the traits causing suffering to the person or their environment.
Well, narcissism made Trump an antimasker. So yeah, sometimes it's the person himself who does the suffering.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
:cry:
Shin'ichi "Sonny" Chiba, the legendary Japanese martial arts actor, passed at the age of 82 due to COVID complications. A career spanning seven decades, he made his debut in 1959 in the Japanese television series Nana-iro kamen. The actor continued his work across film and TV, becoming a crossover success to American audiences. Born Sadaho Maeda in Fukuoka, Japan, in 1939, he started training martial arts at the Nippon Sports Science University in 1957, learning under karate master Masutatus "Mas" Oyama. He earned a first-degree black belt in 1965.

U

User.45

We're starting to hear rumblings of hospitals charging more and giving lower priority to the unvaccinated and it could be they'll have to face higher insurance costs. It's sad that it has come to this but what else can we do, these people are making it impossible for us to get ahead of this virus.
As I said before, those who act libertarian when it's easy should also act libertarian when it's hard.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
It feels like we're back to square one with this thing when we didn't actually have to be. We have allowed these selfish people to carelessly spread it and they will continue to do it as long as we let them. At this point anytime we see someone indoors (who isn't in the act of eating) without a mask, we also assume they're not vaccinated either and that's all you can do to protect yourself. Those who are vaccinated to want even a mild version and certainly don't want to spread it to others.

The news was reporting hospitals in some states are now having to turn away people with critical conditions, it's beyond ridiculous.

It's time for the Government to put their foot down here, screw these people if they don't like it. If they can't take the responsibility of getting the vaccine they either need to be mandated to or not allowed anywhere in public. It's obvious that nothing else will work here.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
It feels like we're back to square one with this thing when we didn't actually have to be. We have allowed these selfish people to carelessly spread it and they will continue to do it as long as we let them. At this point anytime we see someone indoors (who isn't in the act of eating) without a mask, we also assume they're not vaccinated either and that's all you can do to protect yourself. Those who are vaccinated to want even a mild version and certainly don't want to spread it to others.

The news was reporting hospitals in some states are now having to turn away people with critical conditions, it's beyond ridiculous.

It's time for the Government to put their foot down here, screw these people if they don't like it. If they can't take the responsibility of getting the vaccine they either need to be mandated to or not allowed anywhere in public. It's obvious that nothing else will work here.
We have some governors making it illegal for schools to issue mask mandates. They are actively trying to kill children. The school boards are telling the governors to sod off, and risking fines or other punishment in order to protect children. These governors make Satan look like a pretty nice guy.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
8 month wait or no?
Got an update about the supplemental Covid vaccine. Now I'm waiting to be contacted when they have available appointments.
Per my email from UCLA Health:

Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 2.47.55 PM.png

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Hoping the side effects from the booster aren't as bad as the second dose. All I can say is that these selfish assholes are the ones making the rest of us do the right thing, next one who bitches because they can't go into public without a mask or vaccine is getting kicked in the taint.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
Hoping the side effects from the booster aren't as bad as the second dose. All I can say is that these selfish assholes are the one's making the rest of us do the right thing, next one who bitches because they can't go into public without a mask or vaccine is getting kicked in the taint.
I got lucky. My second Moderna jab was a breeze compared to the first one. But maybe it's b/c I had the monoclonal antibodies infusion in January and my body was more used to everything. At least that's my non medically educated guess.

But yes, I too am hoping the 3rd jab isn't bad. As it is, I abhor needles.

Top Bottom
1 2