How can there not be a COVID-19 thread?

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Rand Paul again going off the rails today questioning Dr. Fauci in a Senate committee hearing. Jeeeez.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean, we're already asking people to work while they have the virus. Seems to me like they're taking their lead from us.

Because Trump said it was like the flu. There is no way the media and Dems can start comparing it to the flu. The political fallout would be enormous.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Because Trump said it was like the flu. There is no way the media and Dems can start comparing it to the flu. The political fallout would be enormous.
I'm not sure about the media but there is no comparison, and Donald Trump was the worst, most ignorant person that could've been in charge during that time. Say what you want about Biden but he's at least sane and trying, not doing stupid things like questioning the ingestion of bleach and quoting conspiracy theories.

BTW - Scientific reality check for anyone comparing it to the flu...

Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 12.13.52 PM.png

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I believe you are misreading the politics badly. Trump intentionally lied about the severity of the disease. IMO, his narcissistic tendencies made it impossible for him to accept that doctors would control the narrative, so he created his own.

Democrats repeatedly said they would follow the doctors and scientists’ recommendations. If the omicron variant turns out to be no more dangerous than the common cold, you seem to think democrats would lie about that just to contradict Trump?

People would be relieved if restrictions were eased and normalcy returned. Only the most extreme right-wingers would stick to the nonsense of “I told you all along it was just the flu” and conveniently ignore almost a million dead Americans.

Both sides are NOT the same. Trump made that more obvious than ever before.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

Taking this specific example out of it, I believe in our current political environment "Even a broken clock is right twice a day" no longer applies. The other side is going to always say the broken clock is never right, even when a working clock and the broken clock read the same time when put next to each other. You're supposed to ignore that and focus on the clock being broken. That's why on one side Fauci is an unquestionable saint and on the other he is satan.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
FFS

COVID-19
·
2 hours ago

An interview with CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky has been edited and taken out of context, fact-checkers report
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky appeared on Good Morning America on Friday and discussed a recent study from the CDC on Americans vaccinated against COVID-19. The study found that among 1,228,664 vaccinated individuals, 36 died of COVID-19, and 28 of the 36 (roughly 78%) had four or more risk factors, also known as comorbidities. Dr. Walensky's interview was shortened for broadcast time, which led to her analysis of the data to be misinterpreted by some.
What you need to know:

- A Good Morning America interview with CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky was shortened for time, according to multiple reports - Dr. Walensky referenced a new study from the CDC which found that 36 out of 1,228,664 patients vaccinated against COVID-19 died of the virus, and roughly 78% of those 36 had 'at least four comorbidities'

- Footage of the shortened interview circulated leading some to misinterpret the data
https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1480912946364653568/

Great 🤬ing work GMA! Now we have to put up with more intentional dumb@$$ery from people spouting the same incorrect shit like they've doing before endlessly.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I believe you are misreading the politics badly. Trump intentionally lied about the severity of the disease. IMO, his narcissistic tendencies made it impossible for him to accept that doctors would control the narrative, so he created his own.

Democrats repeatedly said they would follow the doctors and scientists’ recommendations. If the omicron variant turns out to be no more dangerous than the common cold, you seem to think democrats would lie about that just to contradict Trump?

Maybe I am. But I simply don't think that after 2 years of saying it is NOT the same as the flu they can shift gears and say it is. All it would do is give ammo to those who are saying we have been lied to.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score

People would be relieved if restrictions were eased and normalcy returned. Only the most extreme right-wingers would stick to the nonsense of “I told you all along it was just the flu” and conveniently ignore almost a million dead Americans.

Both sides are NOT the same. Trump made that more obvious than ever before.
I hate to make this point because I am sounding like I am moving the goal posts, but right now there are hospitals completely overwhelmed. So much so it was reported that UMass Medical has 500 staff/doctors out sick, and called in the guard to help. People are dying related to Omicron not just because of it. Every night for the last two weeks or so, I am reading the tweet from Boston EMS "<insert PM time here> No BLS available." Meaning you are on your own if you have a heart attack.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Maybe I am. But I simply don't think that after 2 years of saying it is NOT the same as the flu they can shift gears and say it is. All it would do is give ammo to those who are saying we have been lied to.

I’m not even sure how to approach the absurdity of this statement. Let’s start with: what Democratic politicians are saying that it is like the flu?

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Let's keep it 💯.

Such individuals have been screaming they've been lied to, whether or not they've EVER been lied to since this all started.

It is not about being lied to, misinterpreting anything, information withheld, or whatever. Those individuals WANT to hear one thing, and when they don't, they KNOW somehow they are being lied to. Thus we get the endless battery of covid "experts" whose knowledge has been honed from the finest & furthest ends of FB & Reddit. Because science & people who use it have been lying to them.

Those people don't need ammo. They've been shooting blanks informationally speaking, and are quite happy with that.

What's the phrase? "Ignorance is..."

U

User.45

I don't see this happening in the US for purely political reasons.

Wrong. Influenza outbreaks rarely saturate hospital capacities, and definitely never multiple times a year. So even Omicron is 10x
worse than the worst modern influenza outbreak (Thanks @Eric for showing the data). Treating healthcare workers as an infinite resource is a grave mistake, but if we were real capitalists, the market would correct peoples behavior. If people's insurance premiums reflected their modifiable risk of contributing to the pandemic, people would quickly become compliant with public health measures.

Trump was caught on a cheap lie with the Flu statement, which he himself admitted to. So are you asking Dems to start repeating the obvious lie of their political opponent that would still be a lie at present day? Get a grip, dude.

You're trying politicize objective things that have nothing to do with politics: this is not the flu. Even the lowest COVID trough is higher than the highest Flu peak.

The political thing is that the USA has 36M antivaxxer adults, the majority of whom expect things to also go business as usual.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

That's what I kind of alluded to earlier, the whole give them an inch and they'll take a mile cliche, "If liberals are now skeptical of 5% of the data and policies then we were correct on 100% of our views 100% of the time!" They won't see it as an opportunity to maybe also question their own unwavering beliefs.

U

User.45

Rand Paul again going off the rails today questioning Dr. Fauci in a Senate committee hearing. Jeeeez.

I can't listen to these anymore, because it's been getting increasingly absurd by the day and the inverse intellectual and power differential just boils my blood. Rand gets a firm condemnation from actual practicing physicians and that's it. Fauci and his family gets death threats. Though I have to admit, I like Rand's neighbor more and more by the day.

U

User.45

OK. So you've been harping on "it's the flu" thing. How is it the flu, explain. Can you actually engage in the intellectual part of the discussion?
Ironically you can look at my post history making statements about this very thing...

Last edited by a moderator:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I’m not even sure how to approach the absurdity of this statement. Let’s start with: what Democratic politicians are saying that it is like the flu?

None yet. Which was the point. They can't.

Did you read the original article I posted?

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
OK. So you've been harping on "it's the flu" thing. How is it the flu, explain. Can you actually engage in the intellectual part of the discussion?
Ironically you can look at my post history making statements about this very thing...

Same question to you. Did you read even the headline of the article I posted?

For the record, I am not saying it is like the flu.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
None yet. Which was the point. They can't.

Did you read the original article I posted?
Once again, you are using hypotheticals. “Wouldn’t it be bad if Democrats did X”? What a silly hypothetical.

As for the article, you quoted a Bloomberg author who compared this to the flu. Not a government official of any country using that term, but an author for a right-leaning news source. Then you parlayed it to ”wow it would be bad if Democrats compared this to the flu.” WTF? It would also be bad if Democrats told people to do most things that Trump suggested about COVID. That’s why they haven’t and won’t.

It seems that perhaps YOU didn’t read the article… or simply decided to take multiple leaps of logic to stir things up.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

Once again, you are using hypotheticals. “Wouldn’t it be bad if Democrats did X”? What a silly hypothetical.

As for the article, you quoted a Bloomberg author who compared this to the flu. Not a government official of any country using that term, but an author for a right-leaning news source. Then you parlayed it to ”wow it would be bad if Democrats compared this to the flu.” WTF? It would also be bad if Democrats told people to do most things that Trump suggested about COVID. That’s why they haven’t and won’t.

It seems that perhaps YOU didn’t read the article… or simply decided to take multiple leaps of logic to stir things up.

First Bloomberg is a Left-leaning publication according to Media Bias.

And not trying to stir anything up. Just making an observation.

Top Bottom
1 2