How can there not be a COVID-19 thread?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I glanced at the number for COVID deaths (average) for Feb 2. 2,658 for America, 10,466 for the world. America has over 25% of COVID deaths, and less than 5% of the world’s population (~330 million out of ~7.5 billion). What a disaster.

While a bunch of far-right nuts scream that vaccine mandates are equivalent to the Holocaust, Austria‘s parliament is finalizing a law to mandate vaccines for everybody. Germany may follow suit.

Why are some countries handling the pandemic far better than others? One study indicates the answer might be: how much people trust their own government.

(paywall removed)

Before 2020, Vietnam looked particularly vulnerable to a pandemic. The Southeast Asian country, a single-party state with nearly 100 million people, scored low on international assessments of universal health coverage and had relatively few hospital beds for its population, as well as a closed-off political system.

Instead, Vietnam emerged as an early pandemic success story. Long after the coronavirus began to spread in neighboring China, Vietnam maintained low levels of infections and fatalities even as wealthy countries with more robust health systems, including the United States and much of Europe, struggled.
A new study of pandemic preparedness across 177 countries and territories appears to have found a key element in Vietnam’s success: trust.
Thomas Bollyky, one of the study’s authors, said Vietnam should have failed in the fight against the coronavirus, according to traditional tenets of preparedness.

U

User.45

I glanced at the number for COVID deaths (average) for Feb 2. 2,658 for America, 10,466 for the world. America has over 25% of COVID deaths, and less than 5% of the world’s population (~330 million out of ~7.5 billion). What a disaster.

While a bunch of far-right nuts scream that vaccine mandates are equivalent to the Holocaust, Austria‘s parliament is finalizing a law to mandate vaccines for everybody. Germany may follow suit.

Why are some countries handling the pandemic far better than others? One study indicates the answer might be: how much people trust their own government.

(paywall removed)
Sadly, this takes us back to the issue of value systems. Austria values the lives of their citizens higher than America does.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Just wondering what some other opinions are on this. I knew Kyrie Irving couldn't play home games at the Barclay's Center because NYC has a vaccine mandate and he is unvaxxed.

At this point, I didn't think much of it because it is a rule and he is willing to accept the consequences of it. But then I learned this today:

So, he can play in MSG, also in NYC because there he is a visiting player. In fact, unvaxxed visiting players can play in both arena's, but "home" players can't.

Can't wrap my head around how this makes sense.

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
Just wondering what some other opinions are on this. I knew Kyrie Irving couldn't play home games at the Barclay's Center because NYC has a vaccine mandate and he is unvaxxed.

At this point, I didn't think much of it because it is a rule and he is willing to accept the consequences of it. But then I learned this today:

So, he can play in MSG, also in NYC because there he is a visiting player. In fact, unvaxxed visiting players can play in both arena's, but "home" players can't.

Can't wrap my head around how this makes sense.
Simple - the NBA should have had the balls to mandate that all of their players be vaccinated. Not having done so, there's always going to be corner cases when they have any rules allowing unvaccinated players to play.

I'd say "now that we're moving into an endemic" - but the US still doesn't have the vaccination rates that they can start treating Covid like the flu. Maybe if a less severe variant of Omicron evolves, so no-one ends up in hospital or dying?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I posted an article not long ago showing that countries with high public trust handled the pandemic the best. I really enjoyed this essay by Colby King discussing a time when people trusted each other and their government more. He asks the question: can we ever get back there?

(paywall removed)

D

Deleted member 215

Well, here we go:

The headlines will be nothing but “surging” and “soaring” soon and I suspect mask mandates will be back by the beginning of next month.

U

User.45

Well, here we go:

The headlines will be nothing but “surging” and “soaring” soon and I suspect mask mandates will be back by the beginning of next month.
273513947_5217199215015009_8849164462862261861_n.jpg

on a lighter note

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I'm sure some of you won't be happy about this, but I probably won't be either (I doubt they will remove the mandate for planes):

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I'm sure some of you won't be happy about this, but I probably won't be either (I doubt they will remove the mandate for planes):

They can do whatever they like. I can still wear my mask, do social distancing, avoid unnecessary trips out, and so on all I like. And I will until I feel comfortable doing otherwise. It's not going to hurt me to wait 4-6 weeks to see how those new directives play out. Hopefully it goes smoothly and there are no major problems or flare-ups.

D

Deleted member 215

Hmm...have to wonder how much of the relaxations have to do with the fact that this is a Midterm year ;)

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Hmm...have to wonder how much of the relaxations have to do with the fact that this is a Midterm year ;)

That would be the "political science" as opposed to the science "science".

In all seriousness, at this point I am not sure it will have much effect. Most Red states did away with mandates months ago and in the Blue states, people supported them. So for national elections (House/Senate) I don't think it will matter.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

I support the easing of restrictions as long as the case rates stay low, for me it's a nice break from all the paranoia that I've been facing over the last 2 years. I'll still mask up in tight public settings but won't be so concerned about everyone else.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I support the easing of restrictions as long as the case rates stay low, for me it's a nice break from all the paranoia that I've been facing over the last 2 years. I'll still mask up in tight public settings but won't be so concerned about everyone else.
I’m happy to see the cases dropping precipitously and hearing that mask restrictions will be eased. Vaccination rates are much higher than they were at the beginning of the Delta surge, and the Omicron variant is less deadly than Delta. I worry about some new variant or another surge. But, if that starts, we can all easily “mask up” again. We might not be at full “herd immunity” yet but I think we are pretty darn close.

U

User.45

Yet another study pours cold water on the “Chinese lab leak” theory of COVID-19’s origin:

(paywall removed)
Again, this is what ruins Republicans credibility. They are willing to treat unsubstantiated hypotheses as facts and build attacks purely on these, but insist on higher levels of evidence for theories that one by now can consider facts.

So much time and so little corroborative evidence for the lab leak.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Again, this is what ruins Republicans credibility. They are willing to treat unsubstantiated hypotheses as facts and build attacks purely on these, but insist on higher levels of evidence for theories that one by now can consider facts.

So much time and so little corroborative evidence for the lab leak.
Yes. I doubt this latest study will stop right-wing media from insisting the opposite, or Rand Paul from spewing nonsense at another hearing.

Top Bottom
1 2