If Music Be The Food Of Love, Play On: The Music Thread: What Are You Listening To?

B S Magnet

Site Champ
Reaction score
Just a bunch of city pop.

At present, “Offshore” by Toshiki Kadomatsu, from 1983, is playing.

1625540330563.png

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Currently listening to Émile Waldteufel - The Skater's Waltz.

I'm surprised that that one didn't end up listed in this piece about waltzes featured in cinema...

I'm sure The Skater's Waltz must have met the call of duty in many a film or TV show, but I remember it certainly from an episode of Downton Abbey (at a party after Lady Rose's presentation to court, when the Prince of Wales "crashes" the event and asks to open the dancing with her)

A more elegant performance of the entire piece is below. It's certainly all to do with the essence of what is a classic waltz.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Two possibly the best 2 Stones songs:

In general, I prefer (far prefer) The Beatles to the Stones but, of songs by the Stones, - and I readily concede thta preference in music is a deeply personal and rather subjective matter - but, these aren't my favourites.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
In general, I prefer (far prefer) The Beatles to the Stones but, of songs by the Stones, - and I readily concede thta preference in music is a deeply personal and rather subjective matter - but, these aren't my favourites.
I too prefer the Beetles, no contest, but these Stones songs make me acknowledge their worth. :)

lizkat

Reaction score
Some tracks from Hommage, a 1975 album of solo performances by the late jazz composer and pianist Andrew Hill (1931-2007). Six of the seven tracks are his own compositions; the seventh is a look-back to Duke Ellington's Sophisticated Lady, which was composed only a year after Hill was born.

album art - Hommage - Andrew Hill.jpg

lizkat

Reaction score
Schumann's Fantasiestücke Op.12 for me this afternoon, performed by British pianist Benjamin Frith. The album (NAXOS) also has Schumann's Op.15 Kinderszenen (Hungarian pianist Jenő Jandó) and the Brahms Op.118 Klavierstücke (Turkish pianist İdil Biret). Jandó also performs Schumann's Op.18 Arabeske on this album.

NAXOS - Brahms, Schumann (Biret, Frith, Jandó).jpg

lizkat

Reaction score
Going to give myself an ear worm doing stuff like this, but I do it once in awhile anyway. Decided to round up some more versions of those Op. 12 Fantasiestücke by Schumann. It's notoriously hard to keep some of it from sounding either clichéd or boring, since it has so many places with abrupt shifts in dynamics, and other places where it shifts from serenity to exhilaration (or hah, maybe terror, depending if you're still learning the thing).

Anyway when I get done downloading and reviewing various performances, I'll keep the ones I like best for this or that particular track (or just like because they seem idiosyncratic in some way I ended up finding appealing somehow), and consign the rest to the bin. I do love that aspect of fishing around in Apple music... and I do a whole lot of "catch and release" sometimes. Back in the day when one had to buy the music or settle for 30-second previews, I did a lot more hunting around for other people's reviews before I'd pick up another performance of some work I already had.

lizkat

Reaction score
Tracks from Eilen Jewell's 2007 offering, Letters from Sinners and Strangers. Her second album, might still be my favorite.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Yesterday, although a blistering, scorching day, yes, I spent a surprising amount of it watching videos of the impossibly elegant, erudite, interesting, gifted, and wonderfully knowlegeable Brandon Acker discussing (and playing) various antique instruments, and other videos of him playing music from that era.

I had not known that - as a musician - he started out playing heavy metal, and only discovered antique instruments and antique music in college via a study of classical guitar; as @lizkat would say, "go figure". A fascinating journey.

The instruments included (most had separate videos, but, for those who love this sort of stuff, and I do, and adore Baroque music, which I do also, and thrill to the delights of history - yes, tick that box, as well, the video of Brandon Acker with Rob Scallon on the history of the guitar was brilliant - I can't recommend it highly enough; I love watching a video where I learn stuff I hadn't known before), Renaissance guitar, Baroque guitar, Renaissance lute, Baroque lute, Harpischord, oud, viola da gamba, and the wonderful theorbo, an instrument - those amazing bass notes - that I have quite lost my heart to.

Anyway, some of the pieces I listened to (lost myself in) included:

" Aria: Lascia ch'io pianga" (on theorbo).

Toccata Arpeggiata by Kapsberger (1580-1651) - again, on theorbo.

Our ti miro - Monteverdi.

The Mad Lover (again theorbo)

This stupid spell check keeps thinking that I want to spell either "throb" or "theory" instead of theorbo. I don't. I know exactly what I want to write...

And then, there are the - absolutely divine - pieces with Renaissance guitar, Renaissance lute, Baroque guitar, and Baroque lute.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2