If Music Be The Food Of Love, Play On: The Music Thread: What Are You Listening To?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I had forgotten how much I loved Pink Martini; what a brilliant group.

Currently listening to the haunting track "Love For Sale" from the Je Dis Oui! album (CD, now on my mp3 player) by Pink Martini.

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
I had forgotten how much I loved Pink Martini; what a brilliant group.

Currently listening to the haunting track "Love For Sale" from the Je Dis Oui! album (CD, now on my mp3 player) by Pink Martini.

Thanks a lot for the recommendation. I played that album today for the first time and really liked it.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the recommendation. I played that album today for the first time and really liked it.

Delighted that you enjoyed it.

To my mind (ear?), it is right back to the standard of their two superb earlier albums, Sympathique and Hang On Little Tomato, which are both simply superb.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Instrumental jazz from Tunisian composer, pianist and oud player Anouar Brahem tonight. Music that lets the mind wander or focus on its attractions. I have several of his albums and like them all for their evolution and explorations with other musicians, but Souvenance (2014) is still a favorite. First bumped into Brahem's music just accidentally, during a search for some more music from jazz bassist Dave Holland, with whom Brahem played in the albums Thimar (1997) and Blue Maqams (2017). Love it when looking for something turns up an unexpected invitation to a whole other journey.

album art - Anouar Brahem - Souvenance.jpg

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Instrumental jazz from Tunisian composer, pianist and oud player Anouar Brahem tonight. Music that lets the mind wander or focus on its attractions. I have several of his albums and like them all for their evolution and explorations with other musicians, but Souvenance (2014) is still a favorite. First bumped into Brahem's music just accidentally, during a search for some more music from jazz bassist Dave Holland, with whom Brahem played in the albums Thimar (1997) and Blue Maqams (2017). Love it when looking for something turns up an unexpected invitation to a whole other journey.

View attachment 10130
Ah, absolutely brilliant.

I love coming across (or, as is the case here, being introduced to) new music that I had never heard (nor ever heard of) before.

Am currently listening to Souvenance by Anouar Brahem.

Thank you.

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score

View attachment 10130

Awesome! Thanks much for sharing. Nothing better than growing one’s own musical horizons.
Really appreciate the input.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

View attachment 10130
Meant to comment on how that is a wonderful album sleeve. The kind of image that invites imagination.

Currently listening to a few tracks from Dire Straits.

chengengaun

Slightly Confused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Brahms Six Pieces for Piano performed by Eric Lu. I listened to the Intermezzo in A Major live in 2019, as encore in a 'replacement performance' that originally featured Martha Argerich. That led me to discovering this album.

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
Brahms Six Pieces for Piano performed by Eric Lu. I listened to the Intermezzo in A Major live in 2019, as encore in a 'replacement performance' that originally featured Martha Argerich. That led me to discovering this album.

Unfortunately getting a warning message about an unsupported url.

lizkat

Reaction score
Smart playlist of songs from albums of iconic French singer and songwriter Francis Cabrel... mostly tracks I had bought from iTunes years and years ago.

Will never forget how I ever heard of "the French Bob Dylan" to begin with: watching the 1987 movie Broadcast News sometime after iTunes had started renting / selling films. I was with one of my brothers and the scene came on where displaced news anchor Albert Brooks is sulking in his living room with a stiff drink and suddenly "Édition Spéciale" comes spiraling out of his stereo.. We both reacted like "wow who is THAT, gotta have it." Poor Albert 🤣 ... later for his tribulations in that film, we were off looking up Cabrel and his albums. Love so many of his songs, there's one for every mood, every situation.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Smart playlist of songs from albums of iconic French singer and songwriter Francis Cabrel... mostly tracks I had bought from iTunes years and years ago.

Will never forget how I ever heard of "the French Bob Dylan" to begin with: watching the 1987 movie Broadcast News sometime after iTunes had started renting / selling films. I was with one of my brothers and the scene came on where displaced news anchor Albert Brooks is sulking in his living room with a stiff drink and suddenly "Édition Spéciale" comes spiraling out of his stereo.. We both reacted like "wow who is THAT, gotta have it." Poor Albert 🤣 ... later for his tribulations in that film, we were off looking up Cabrel and his albums. Love so many of his songs, there's one for every mood, every situation.

Gorgeous.

The French language lends itself wonderfully to song.

Personally, I am rather partial to the music of Alain Bashung, and especially adore the song "Madame Rêve".

Last edited:

lizkat

Reaction score
Gorgeous.

The French language lends itself wonderfully to song.

Personally, I am rather partial to the music of Alain Bashung, and especially adore the song "Madame Rêve".

I too like Bashung, and Patrick Bruel. This is Raconte-moi from Bruel's 2006 album Des souvenirs devant...

Top Bottom
1 2