If Music Be The Food Of Love, Play On: The Music Thread: What Are You Listening To?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
A few tracks from Link Wray & The Wraymen: Rumble, Ramble, Jack The Ripper, The Shadow Knows - among others: (from an album "Rumble! The Best Of Link Wray").

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Paris Combo - Living Room (from the album Living Room).

Ah, they are fun! Thank you. The lead singer reminds me somehow of the cabaret singer Yvette in the 1992 film Indochine.

Yvette's role was played by Dominique Blanc. She was originally an employee of the character Eliane, played by Catherine Deneuve. All about Yvette was kept intriguingly complicated in the film, since Yvette was also a sometime love interest of Eliane's would-be suitor Guy, the dogged detective devoted to finding the whereabouts of Eliane's runaway adopted daughter Camille.​
So much of that movie was heartbreaking. The character of Yvette was just the ticket for lightening it up some. She was impossibly forthright and rude and amusing all at once. "Definitely double-down French," an American friend of mine with kin and friends in Paris had commented when we were dissecting that film and its characters one day.​

Anyway some tracks from Living Room will certainly do to lighten up my Friday evening. Brilliant idea, thanks again.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Ah, they are fun! Thank you. The lead singer reminds me somehow of the cabaret singer Yvette in the 1992 film Indochine.

Yvette's role was played by Dominique Blanc. She was originally an employee of the character Eliane, played by Catherine Deneuve. All about Yvette was kept intriguingly complicated in the film, since Yvette was also a sometime love interest of Eliane's would-be suitor Guy, the dogged detective devoted to finding the whereabouts of Eliane's runaway adopted daughter Camille.​
So much of that movie was heartbreaking. The character of Yvette was just the ticket for lightening it up some. She was impossibly forthright and rude and amusing all at once. "Definitely double-down French," an American friend of mine with kin and friends in Paris had commented when we were dissecting that film and its characters one day.​

Anyway some tracks from Living Room will certainly do to lighten up my Friday evening. Brilliant idea, thanks again.
And I absolutely loved Indochine; superb movie.

Actually, the first time I saw it, yes, it was by myself, but - having loved it, - when Channel 4 (one of the best of British TV channels) subsequently showed it, fortunately, I was able to watch it with my absorbed mother, who absolutely adored it - for, when the opening credits appeared, I told her that this was a movie she would love, and must watch - as, indeed, she did.

Last edited:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I would have never thought a WalMart commercial would introduce me to a 50+ year old version of a song I never knew existed. But they did. It is a great version, even better than the better known one from Sonny & Cher.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I would have never thought a WalMart commercial would introduce me to a 50+ year old version of a song I never knew existed. But they did. It is a great version, even better than the better known one from Sonny & Cher.

I've Shazamed more songs playing during commercials than I care to admit. A close second would be music being played at stores or restaurants.

I don't even remember how I found out what a song was before ID AI existed. I asked people? I guess?

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I've Shazamed more songs playing during commercials than I care to admit. A close second would be music being played at stores or restaurants.

I don't even remember how I found out what a song was before ID AI existed. I asked people? I guess?

Don't know how old you are, but people in my generation can certainly relate to listening to a song on the radio and hoping and praying the DJ will simply announce the name and artist so you could go spend $15 on the album for one song. Today's Spotify kids have no clue.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Don't know how old you are, but people in my generation can certainly relate to listening to a song on the radio and hoping and praying the DJ will simply announce the name and artist so you could go spend $15 on the album for one song. Today's Spotify kids have no clue.

This, absolutely.

Actually, I've even phoned radio stations to request the name of a track (and the artist, composer, etc) that had just been played.

And, I have stood by the radio, snatched up pen and paper to hand, listening closely, intent on writing down whatever details the DJ, or presenter, might care to share when a track that had been played had caught my ear, captured my attention and stimulated my interest.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

Some of those hastily scribbled notes (from the radio, maybe pronounciation, maybe my hearing, or lack of familiarity with the name of the artist or name of the work) were phonetically transcribed (Vidor, anyone?) as I had never heard of them, until I subsequently tracked them down in a music shop (remember those?)

And yes, - as a consequence, - I have indeed bought CDs for one song, or track, or piece of music.

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
We certainly live in great times with streaming when you can discover new music or tv content anytime.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We certainly live in great times with streaming when you can discover new music or tv content anytime.

Totally, I love it. And then not only do you get an ID on the song, you can immediately deep dive into the artist's other material, especially if you've got some unlimited music type service like Spotify or Apple Music.

The latter I've been really enjoying it again - had it one time a couple of years ago, let it lapse, then when we switched to unlimited cell data plans, we got it for free.

Top Bottom
1 2