If Music Be The Food Of Love, Play On: The Music Thread: What Are You Listening To?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Tonight, I shall refer you to a quite lovely and heartbreakingly beautiful piece by Ronald Binge that goes by the name of The Watermill.

As a child, I saw a TV production of The Wind In The Willows, for which this was the theme music of the soundtrack, and I never forgot - nor could ever forget - that haunting, bittersweet, tune.

But, for a very long time, I didn't know what it was called, nor who composed it.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Tonight, I shall refer you to a quite lovely and heartbreakingly beautiful piece by Ronald Binge that goes by the name of The Watermill.

As a child, I saw a TV production of The Wind In The Willows, for which this was the theme music of the soundtrack, and I never forgot - nor could ever forget - that haunting, bittersweet, tune.

But, for a very long time, I didn't know what it was called, nor who composed it.

This offering has not only that music --such a wonderful piece for the oboe-- but also a collection of beautiful English landscape paintings, many of which do feature watermills. Performance by the Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Ernest Tomlinson.

lizkat

Reaction score
Golden Brown - The Stranglers.

That one was brought to my attention one night at a party for its restless time signatures, after i had offered up Prokofiev's 7th Sonata on that topic and someone else said wrong genre looking for something a little more now... LOL when I looked it up more recently on YouTube I ran into a comment that I found hilarious: "so British it colonised my computer."

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
That one was brought to my attention one night at a party for its restless time signatures, after i had offered up Prokofiev's 7th Sonata on that topic and someone else said wrong genre looking for something a little more now... LOL when I looked it up more recently on YouTube I ran into a comment that I found hilarious: "so British it colonised my computer."

It is a brilliant - and haunting track.

To my mind (or ear), a timeless classic.

And I have always loved (well, I have long loved Baroque music, howsoever unfashionable it may have been in my university days - dudes/guys, especially, were always stupefied by the fact that I not only loved - but knew - this music, it is hard to condescend to someone who knows and loves classical music) the harpsichord.

That sound; I adore it. (Better than piano - which I also like - to my jaundiced ear).

There have been days when I would have (almost willingly) sold my soul to have mastery of this instrument. But then, I also think this about the theorbo.

Sigh: Yes. I know what I want to come back to in my next life (assuming such a thing exists).

What is there not to like - with a stunning harpsichord (howsoever incongruous) in a (flawless) modern musical setting?

And, an aside: Any guy (dude) who could play piano competently or decently, or with some respect for music and instrument (okay, I prefer harpsichord, but let's not be too demanding or high maintenance) met with my wholehearted approval; let's just say that sitting (nursing a glass of wine - beer doesn't quite cut it in these circumstances or settings) while listening to a chap/dude/guy who could play Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata (and yes, Baroque is even better) is something that - while I am not quite weak at the knees - does Put Me In A Very Good Mood.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
This offering has not only that music --such a wonderful piece for the oboe-- but also a collection of beautiful English landscape paintings, many of which do feature watermills. Performance by the Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Ernest Tomlinson.

Gorgeous.

lizkat

Reaction score
Schumann's Fantasiestücke, Op 12, performed by British pianist Benjamin Frith. On a NAXOS album of piano works by Schumann and Brahms, other pianists on this album are Jeño Jandó and Idil Biret.

Schumann, Brahms - piano works - Jandó, Frith, Biret.png

lizkat

Reaction score
Tracks from Burgers, the 1972 album by Hot Tuna, the ever-evolving group (more or less held together in various iterations by Jorma Kaukonen and Jack Casady "and friends") loosely configured as a blues-rock band that had originated as a sideline for some members of Jefferson Airplane.

album art - Burgers (1972) -  Hot Tuna .jpg

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
More Pink Martini - what an absolutely wonderful group.

I have had the privilege and pleasure of seeing them play live (twice) - once on my birthday, the (excellent) ticket a birthday present from my brother.

Anyway, I have been listening to the albums Je Dis Oui! and Hey Eugene! (by Pink Martini).

Top Bottom
1 2