iPhone 12

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
@Eric Looks great on my 12.9 IPP, browsing on it right now, I'm using iOS Chrome (and I'm set for an alternate theme)

IMG_4AC0892C313C-1.jpeg

Lostngone

Power User
Reaction score
I am going to upgrade this year.
I have the XS Max and the battery is starting to show its age and my hope is the screens have improved in reference to heat management. The screen gets so dim it becomes almost unusable outdoors when the phone gets warm while playing games.
I do have the phone in an Apple battery case so that doesn’t really help the heat dissipation but I live in Alaska so it isn’t like it is 100 degrees out.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I am going to upgrade this year.
I have the XS Max and the battery is starting to show its age and my hope is the screens have improved in reference to heat management. The screen gets so dim it becomes almost unusable outdoors when the phone gets warm while playing games.
I do have the phone in an Apple battery case so that doesn’t really help the heat dissipation but I live in Alaska so it isn’t like it is 100 degrees out.
The battery life with my XS Max was the only real problem (besides the tiny crack in the screen) that I had. I'll say the 11 lasts far longer, sometimes I forget to charge it and can go 2 days with normal use, the XS would only last until later afternoon before I was plugging it in.

Lostngone

Power User
Reaction score
The battery life with my XS Max was the only real problem (besides the tiny crack in the screen) that I had. I'll say the 11 lasts far longer, sometimes I forget to charge it and can go 2 days with normal use, the XS would only last until later afternoon before I was plugging it in.

Other than the display self dimming when the phone gets warm that is really my only major complaint. I cannot fault the battery because I run it pretty hard. I have always kept it in a case and it has had a screen protector on it for most of its life so for being heavily used for almost two years it is in excellent shape. I could use the phone for another year without major issues.

My battery health is down to 87%. I play Ingress, Pokemon Go and Cheapshot with the Apple battery case. I still get okay run time as long as I am by a charger(s) for an hour or so every day. I have found with two good chargers and charge cables if I pull the phone out of the case and charge the battery case and the phone separately that works the best. Neither get to 100% but with what is in the battery case and phone after that short charge window I usually get the phone to 100% after I put the phone back in its case and it discharges into the phone. I am sure if I wasn’t so demanding with the battery and cycle charged the battery properly it would still be in the mid 90s as far as health goes.
This is the second battery case however the first one I got replaced under warranty because of that issues they were having with them awhile ago.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
...maybe I will downgrade to an SE on the upgrade program this time around... and then maybe keep it a few years.

The only reason why I could see opting for one of the mainline iPhones over the SE is because you want the larger screen. For everything else, the SE performs just fine. It's not overly fanciful in presentation, but it's smooth, speedy, and gets the job done.

JBaby

Power User
Reaction score
My Mom still has the X. She’ll get the 12 this year. But I home we can swap the SIMs on T-Mobile like we did when we had AT&T. She doesn’t care about having the latest device. Hopefully she can get my 11 Pro.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
My Mom still has the X. She’ll get the 12 this year. But I home we can swap the SIMs on T-Mobile like we did when we had AT&T. She doesn’t care about having the latest device. Hopefully she can get my 11 Pro.
Sounds like my wife, sometimes I'll use her upgrade.

JBaby

Power User
Reaction score
Sounds like my wife, sometimes I'll use her upgrade.

Back in the day I upgraded every time. I started with the 3G. Six months later I had my Mom get the 3GS when it debuted. And we just alternated every year until the iPhone 7. I didn’t want that phone. We switched to T-Mobile when the X debuted and we each got one. I didn’t upgrade until the 11 Pro. We are on the old people plan and we love it. We pay $60 for unlimited everything. Total bill is $70 because Mom got a cellular S5 for Christmas. That was back in the time when we all thought we’d get to go outside when the weather was good again. Mom loves to go power walking. And she wanted to leave her phone behind. We was also going to start taking yoga classes. Rona has ruined everything. She’s excited for Fitness+ though.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Back in the day I upgraded every time. I started with the 3G. Six months later I had my Mom get the 3GS when it debuted. And we just alternated every year until the iPhone 7. I didn’t want that phone. We switched to T-Mobile when the X debuted and we each got one. I didn’t upgrade until the 11 Pro. We are on the old people plan and we love it. We pay $60 for unlimited everything. Total bill is $70 because Mom got a cellular S5 for Christmas. That was back in the time when we all thought we’d get to go outside when the weather was good again. Mom loves to go power walking. And she wanted to leave her phone behind. We was also going to start taking yoga classes. Rona has ruined everything. She’s excited for Fitness+ though.

If reception on T-Mo here were better, I would totally switch for that price. Then again, we wind up with 4 devices (including my watch and iPad), get unlimited everything and HBO for less than $200/month.

I had been walking every morning until the weather turned hot. I’ve now gained the Corona ten. Fitness+ can’t debut soon enough. I will be doing Yoga with that.

JBaby

Power User
Reaction score
If reception on T-Mo here were better, I would totally switch for that price. Then again, we wind up with 4 devices (including my watch and iPad), get unlimited everything and HBO for less than $200/month.

I had been walking every morning until the weather turned hot. I’ve now gained the Corona ten. Fitness+ can’t debut soon enough. I will be doing Yoga with that.

We are kind of on the edge with T-Mobile. But it works and they are doing expansions far faster than AT&T ever did. Sometimes it’s spotty but not enough for us to care. You’re still doing good price wise. We don’t qualify for any of streaming deals. But we do get T-Mobile Tuesdays. This week I got a free 6 month subscription to Quibi. Two years ago Tmo Tuesday gave a free year of Pandora Premium. We are lucky it’s just the two of us because the 55+ plan can only have two voice lines on it. But you can add watches and iPads because those are just data. I worried with I got the iPad Pro I’d miss cellular but almost everywhere I went had WiFi. And when there wasn’t WiFi I could tether. I’ll never forgive AT&T for blocking tethering from OG iPhone people.

It’s been way too hot for walking here too, but before it was too hot she still could go often. Too many people wouldn’t practice social distancing. Kansas is a hot, hot mess.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
It’s been way too hot for walking here too, but before it was too hot she still could go often. Too many people wouldn’t practice social distancing. Kansas is a hot, hot mess.

Now there’s a double entendre if ever there was one!

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

When the 11 came out I forced my parents to upgrade their iPhone with me and get a 128G drive. I was tired of troubleshooting their problems that were largely do to different older models and small drives. Has pretty much been smooth sailing ever since.

Another problem has been minimum RAM on their Macs if you want to take advantage of the whole ecosystem and keep it current. At least 3 times I ran into the scenario of them wanting to take advantage of an iCloud feature between their iPhone, iPad, and Mac but the Mac needed to be on the current OS only to find out the Mac didn't have enough RAM to install it. FUCK!

JBaby

Power User
Reaction score
When the 11 came out I forced my parents to upgrade their iPhone with me and get a 128G drive. I was tired of troubleshooting their problems that were largely do to different older models and small drives. Has pretty much been smooth sailing ever since.

Another problem has been minimum RAM on their Macs if you want to take advantage of the whole ecosystem and keep it current. At least 3 times I ran into the scenario of them wanting to take advantage of an iCloud feature between their iPhone, iPad, and Mac but the Mac needed to be on the current OS only to find out the Mac didn't have enough RAM to install it. FUCK!

I always recommend getting the most RAM and storage you can afford. And if someone wants an iMac I always tell them to get the 27” so they can replace the RAM themselves.  RAM is ridiculously expensive.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I always recommend getting the most RAM and storage you can afford. And if someone wants an iMac I always tell them to get the 27” so they can replace the RAM themselves.  RAM is ridiculously expensive.

Agreed. I got a 27" iMac with minimum RAM and upgraded it to 64G myself for less than half of what Apple would have charged with that configuration.

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
i won't be upgrading.
although it is certainly tempting...

i still have a great iPhone 6s. (the Poll only has a not upgrading - iPhone 6, but i clicked it anyway...)

i replaced the battery in my 6s three times now. the last time just a month ago, when i made the decision to not upgrade.
its like new now.

soooo, im really looking forward to 2021 September !

to be able to have:

- the 5.4" smallest iPhone
- Touch ID either under/in display or integrated into side button
- no notch

that's all i need to have in 2021. pls pls no notch.

if at all possible, since i really want to avoid a 60 Hz OLED, i hope that there is a 120 Hz in the smallest size iPhone next year.

Top Bottom
1 2