shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
"We've got another officer unconscious"

Screen Shot 2022-12-19 at 10.24.16 AM.png

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Can't have the audio up at work for fear of triggering some folks. Why isn't this fully CC'd on youtube?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
So is the Historic Jan 6th Committee meeting today at 1 PM or Dec 20th at 3 PM? Confused... Was on the usa today article and video link said, "Live in 28 hours, Dec 20th at 3 PM."

See this is what happens when media outlets make budget cuts. No one updated the date and time on some borrowed chyron.

Trump defends inciting an insurrection by inciting an insurrection.
He’s trying to do it again.

He should shut up. His own messing around trying to "weaponize" the DoJ is already part of why he'll soon be up on charges.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I hope those who invested in ketchup stock are seeing their profits soar.

Lately when I hear Trump and ketchup I think of that episode of the Chappelle Show where Charlie Murphy is talking about hanging out with Rick James and several times they cut to James in an interview going “Cocaine is a hell of a drug” except Trump going “Ketchup is a hell of a condiment”.

lizkat

Reaction score
How does referring Trump for criminal charges change anything? Isn't he already under investigation by the DOJ? Trump will cry "witch hunt." The GOP will say it's political, all the while making plans to investigate Hunter's laptop.

Trump's already violated multiple laws just with the top secret documents issue. Enough with the reports, referrals and investigations.

Well really it was the institution of Congress (not to mention the instance and particular duties of a sitting Congress) under attack on January 6, 2021.

The three branches of federal government are not set one above another, despite whatever Trump happens to have thought.

The DoJ is an agency of the executive branch. So I think it's important the the House --as a body of the legislative branch-- go on record with a lawful investigation and any ensuing referrals.

After all, the 1/6/21 attack was at the very least being tolerated if not encouraged by a then sitting President. Donald Trump had tried to get the election overturned in the courts (60 times!) without desired effect, then started in trying to work on secretaries of state in certain of the individual states, and so appeared to be clearly resisting the will of the people and the whole idea leaving of office as scheduled after a free and fair election per our rule of law. Part of the final push was trying to get the VP to exceed the brief for that part of the executive branch, Failing that, there was Trump's willful inciting of the insurrection itself and his (thwarted) expressed intention to go to the Capitol along with his supporters, and then his watching the thing unfold for three hours on TV.

Perhaps there is even more about which we do not yet know, in terms of communication among some Congressmen or among members of various agencies of the federal government atop which Trump was then sitting.

But if there was ever a pretty good map of intent for a coup of one's own sitting government, Trump seems to have drawn one that a responsible co-equal branch of government could not afford to ignore. That the effort failed, well that only means it was a dress rehearsal, unless some in government rise up from within their official remit to say that such behavior doesn't come with impunity. Criminal referral is the strongest measure that that House committee could take, and it took it. Think about it: The House had already impeached Trump twice while he was still President, and one of those impeachments was about the insurrection. Yet this guy Trump now --as a plain citizen and with the chutzpah to declare himself a candidate for the 2024 presidential race-- continues even now to deny that he lost the election he tried to overturn, continues to derogate the meaning of rule of law and the agencies that are mandated to enforce it.

What happens now in the DoJ regarding Trump is up to Garland and the Special Counsel he appointed. One can hope the gravity of the situation for our Constitution is not lost on them. But the House did what the House should have done if the Constitution's tripartite allocation of rights and duties as checks and balances against untrammeled power is to mean anything going forward.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
As horrifying and symbolic as it was, as I heard somebody recently say, taking the capital is about as strategically important as taking a Walmart. :ROFLMAO: It's like thinking you can prevent your dad from whooping your ass by sitting on his favorite chair. It would either have no effect or just piss him off even more.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
As horrifying and symbolic as it was, as I heard somebody recently say, taking the capital is about as strategically important as taking a Walmart. :ROFLMAO: It's like thinking you can prevent your dad from whooping your ass by sitting on his favorite chair. It would either have no effect or just piss him off even more.

The Capitol itself has no intrinsic strategic value, but congressmen do make for great hostages.

...or so I hear. I dunno if it's true or not. I'm just sayin' is all.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The Capitol itself has no intrinsic strategic value, but congressmen do make for great hostages.

...or so I hear. I dunno if it's true or not. I'm just sayin' is all.
well depends if you have Marjorie trailer grease she would be the opposite of value and they would give up to get rid of her.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Having a difficult time with Elie Honig, the guy is just unlikeable and political, would be a better fit on Fox News. Wish Toobin could've kept it in his pants, his analysis was always spot on.

lizkat

Reaction score

But see that is not what happened, is it. Yeah somebody sat in Dad's chair. But the big boss didn't blow it off or reach for a willow switch either. Bottom line? Mom said "You just wait until your father gets home".

From childhood we all know what that means in ordinary life: "ain't no big thing" is what it DOES NOT MEAN.

The House committee basically said ok this happened and it was an assault upon the very authority that we the people of the USA gave ourselves: our own consent to be governed by ourselves, by our choice of elected officials, representatives, senators. This consent to be governed by our choice is a very big deal. A cornerstone of rule of law.

What the hell was Donald Trump doing trying to bring it down to getting Mike Pence to crown him King?

But Pence didn't bite, and the courts finally started saying not just "no way" but also get outta here with the frivolous suits already, and so in the end Trump was left with either staging a coup somehow, or conceding. He chose the insurrection, fronted by a bunch of conspirators and a motley crew of followers (some more dangerous than others), whether or not he expected (vainly, this time) that he might also gain support of DoJ or the military.

So yeah there were people "sitting in Dad's chair," yep, and running around with zip ties looking for Nancy, Nancy...

The House members had all been there for the event, so they didn't just ignore that. Neither did they overreact, in my opinion. But they didn't blow it off either. The assault was not just on the institution, the process, it was on the safety of members of Congress and the Vice President, the Capitol Police.

The House committee on the 1/6 incident acted inside their own constitutional brief and did an investigation, held hearings, presented evidence to the public, took testimony of witnesses... and have now made criminal referrals against Trump. We see now too that they have also referred evidence of some subpoena refusals, aside from passing along the other results of their work to DoJ.

This wasn't like a law enforcement response to "taking a WalMart" at all. It has been an appropriate, constitutional response to an attempt to overthrow a sitting US government. Big box stores come and go. Their sole focus is black ink on the bottom line. Democracies are more complex. Our rights to self governance are not nuanced by anything short of the need to compromise on our legislation, and democracy runs the table there unless we shrug off the duty to help stand on the wall and say "not tonight" when the would-be authoritarians and self-serving marauders show up.

The frameworks we have --starting with that right to an expressed consent to self governance-- are meant to resist encroachment by tyrannical force, and our Constitution looks to have stood up pretty well. Nonetheless it would be folly to treat that insurrection as anything other than the "rehearsal" that some of its instigators doubtless now think it was. Only way to treat that idea is apply full force of law without exception to those thinking themselves immune to it.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Can someone please explain what power the referral of charges gives the DOJ? I mean other than what power they had yesterday?

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Can someone please explain what power the referral of charges gives the DOJ? I mean other than what power they had yesterday?

No additional power. They are giving the DOJ sworn testimony and other evidence collected by the committee over the last year and a half, which may include information the DOJ might not already have.

lizkat

Reaction score

Just stop.... please. The DoJ is a recipient of information in this case, not power. The power the House has includes making criminal referrals when wrapping up an investigation, if it deems those referrals are warranted.

lizkat

Reaction score
Who’s going to tell old yeller that’s not how double jeopardy works?

Who’s going to tell old yeller that’s not how double jeopardy works?

Smilin' Jack Smith, that's who. Well we don't see him smiling all that often, I guess. He's been working almost nonstop since Thanksgiving on rounding up additional info from officials in seven states Trump targeted when trying to remain in office without consent of the people...

But he'll be circumspect and probably just submit a report and recommendation to Merrick Garland. Trump will wish McConnell had never stood in the way of Obama appointing Garland to SCOTUS.

Top Bottom
1 2