RIP John Madden

tobefirst

not questioning anything
Reaction score
Granted I’ve only read headlines, but I’m surprised at how few mention his impact on video games. I would bet his impact there will be longer lasting than his coaching and announcing, which were obviously great.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Great commentator. Beyond that, I like that he was wise enough to step away from the daily grind and enjoy life in semi-retirement for a while before his death. Good for him.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Granted I’ve only read headlines, but I’m surprised at how few mention his impact on video games. I would bet his impact there will be longer lasting than his coaching and announcing, which were obviously great.
I played Madden 92 endlessly on the Sega Genesis

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't follow sports but of course I know who he is. I remember an impressionist comedian saying he would say a lot of captain obvious stuff during his sports commentary. "Here's a guy when he puts on glasses he can see better." :ROFLMAO:

tobefirst

not questioning anything
Reaction score
I played Madden 92 endlessly on the Sega Genesis
When Madden was first approached about having his name on a video game, they wanted to do a 7v7 version, as it was all they thought they have the compute power to do. He insisted it had to be 11v11. He wouldn’t put his name on it and wouldn’t provide his expertise unless it was. And so, the developers found a way to make it happen. And video games – and later esports – were forever changed.

Top Bottom
1 2