Mob storms Capitol

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Texans will vote for this guy again? How sad.

The problem is most of these people are getting their news from a single source. And that source isn't telling them everything. Or worse, they'll just check whoever has an 'R' next to their name come voting time.

I seriously doubt there's a large percentage of people who are fully informed and will still vote for him. And most of those who do would probably benefit in some fashion by him holding power.

One of the worst things the last guy did is to discredit the media. Too many people now just assume any news story they don't want to hear must be nothing but a bunch of lies.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I was not surprised that Fox carried a minimalist/slanted amount of coverage of today's anniversary. And the traitors at that network roll merrily on.

I was pleasantly surprised, however, to see not only Biden give (what for him was) a very tough speech condemning Trump and the insurrectionists, but to see the legit news networks give today's events plenty of air time. During the time when I tuned in MSNBC and CNN, it was almost wall to wall Jan. 6th discussion.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I was not surprised that Fox carried a minimalist/slanted amount of coverage of today's anniversary. And the traitors at that network roll merrily on.

I was pleasantly surprised, however, to see not only Biden give (what for him was) a very tough speech condemning Trump and the insurrectionists, but to see the legit news networks give today's events plenty of air time. During the time when I tuned in MSNBC and CNN, it was almost wall to wall Jan. 6th discussion.

I was extremely pleased to see that the CNHI newspaper chain apparently prepared a centralized Page One offering today about the anniversary of the insurrection. My local paper gave it all of page one above the fold and put the rest into a big chunk of page two.

CNHI supplied  local paper lead for Jan 6.jpg

It was bylined by a political reporter from the chain and also identified at the end some other chain reporters who had contributed, so was clear to local readers that it was not local reporting. I don't know if it was mandated or a strongly suggested option, but I'm sure it was received with relief by at least some managing editors of individual papers in the chain.

CNHI owns a lot of papers in some pretty conservative districts. Individual publishers/managers who ran that piece didn't have to do some kind of dance for their particular subscribership and figure out whether or how to cover the anniversary of the insurrection. If they get complaints they're probably free to say "they made us run it" instead of trying to tailor non-apologies that sound apologetic.

At least they didn't just steamroll the news of the day. Now we're free to frame it or wrap fish with it mañana.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
Troy Nehls, a sitting member of Congress, just went on the PBS NewsHour and claimed that most people at the Capitol on Jan 6 were just walking around doing nothing wrong. He also claims they were “ushered in” to the Capitol. The reporter who had been in the Capitol that day called 🐂💩 on that, but of course he refused to admit he was lying. Capitol police died because of the terrorism that day.

This guy is truly a piece of work. At the end, the reporter tried to be nice and asked “what can we do to bring Americans together?” He replied by taking a crap all over Joe Biden and spouting divisive rhetoric instead. What a piece of utter and complete garbage.

Is this truly what the Republican party has become? I usually see some silliness about MTG or Boebert and assume they are outliers. No. They are the new normal in the Republican Party. How anybody can possibly support these traitors is beyond me.

Here’s what Troy Nehls said right after the riots though (Fox News source):

Was he lying then or is he lying now? Based on the video and pictures from that day, we know the answer. Oh, and don’t forget the same guy who claimed to ”stand with” the police that day, is now blaming them for the riot, and accusing the person who shot Ashli Babbitt of murder. Texans will vote for this guy again? How sad.

Texas isn't red. It's just gerrymandered and voter suppressed as fuck. Texas needs a Stacey Abrams to wake people up. I see so many people not voting because they don't think it makes a difference.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Emily Hernandez' lawyer said, "It’s an unfortunate situation and it’s one she didn’t want to put herself in. She’s willing to move beyond it, do the things she needs to do to make it right and get on with the rest of her life." This was a woman of whom there is a picture with her grinning, holding a piece of the sign from Nancy Pelosi's door.

Now, of course, while she was out on bond, she set about to "getting on with the rest of her life", leaving one person dead in an apparently irresponsible act. This is a life that I count myself lucky not to be living the rest of.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Truly stunning.

Ted Cruz appropriately called January 6 a terrorist attack. However, the Trumpkins immediately jumped down his throat, so he had to reach out to his other boss - Tucker Carlson - and start backtracking.

It's truly a sight to behold. Watching a sitting U.S. Senator groveling to an entertainment conspiracy theorist racist. What's even more crazy is that THIS is the guy who came in second behind Trump in 2016.

I don't know what's going to happen in the midterms or 2024, but republicans aren't going to all join together hand in hand and sing church hymns where they replace the word "God" with "Trump" while wearing shirts depicting fatso as Rambo. They're going to want to enact policies that the spineless rank and file republicans find to be a bridge too far, and there will be intra-party battles the likes of which we haven't seen yet.

I mean, if January 6 was no big deal, then what's going to happen the next time? What happens when there's a sore loser in a heavily-contested republican primary, and it's not democrats they accuse of rigging the election, but their republican opponents?j

It's going to get interesting.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Truly stunning.

Ted Cruz appropriately called January 6 a terrorist attack. However, the Trumpkins immediately jumped down his throat, so he had to reach out to his other boss - Tucker Carlson - and start backtracking.

It's truly a sight to behold. Watching a sitting U.S. Senator groveling to an entertainment conspiracy theorist racist. What's even more crazy is that THIS is the guy who came in second behind Trump in 2016.

I don't know what's going to happen in the midterms or 2024, but republicans aren't going to all join together hand in hand and sing church hymns where they replace the word "God" with "Trump" while wearing shirts depicting fatso as Rambo. They're going to want to enact policies that the spineless rank and file republicans find to be a bridge too far, and there will be intra-party battles the likes of which we haven't seen yet.

I mean, if January 6 was no big deal, then what's going to happen the next time? What happens when there's a sore loser in a heavily-contested republican primary, and it's not democrats they accuse of rigging the election, but their republican opponents?j

It's going to get interesting.
Whatever happened to “We don’t negotiate with terrorists”????

Now it’s all “we need to think about the terrorists’ feelings” and apologize to them? Nope. Sorry those "god-fearing white folk" are mad that non-white people are moving into their neighborhood, but could they maybe just try getting along with them instead of storming the Capitol in the middle of the certification of a Presidential Election?

If a few thousand people with dark skin, beards, and turbans stormed the Capitol, they would have been gunned down, and we would be dropping bombs on every country in the Middle East right now. But since it was white people, we are supposed to be understanding and/or sweep it under the rug?

D

Deleted member 215

It's just ridiculous to me that the right acts like there's no cancel culture on their end when the Ted Cruz thing fits the bill exactly. If a left-wing politician had said something "un-woke" then went on The View to apologize, the right would call it "cancel culture". So why is this any different?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
It's just ridiculous to me that the right acts like there's no cancel culture on their end when the Ted Cruz thing fits the bill exactly. If a left-wing politician had said something "un-woke" then went on The View to apologize, the right would call it "cancel culture". So why is this any different?
I hadn’t thought of it that way. This is a great point.

Cruz committed the greatest possible sin in the Trump-controlled GOP. He told the truth.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Schumer told USA Today that he was later told that one of the rioters had seen him, making an anti-Semitic and threatening reference overheard by others.

"One of them was reputed to see me and say, 'There's the big Jew, let's get him,' " Schumer said.
During the violence, Schumer said he tried to get then-President Donald Trump on the phone, though "he wouldn't talk to me."
Are you effing kidding me?? 😳

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Right-wing pundits cannot decide how to spin the insurrection, a year after it happened.

The demonstrators who unlawfully entered the Capitol during the Electoral College count were unarmed and had no intention of overthrowing the U.S. constitutional system or engaging in a conspiracy “against the United States, or to defraud the United States.” On the contrary, many of them believed—however erroneously—that the U.S. constitutional system was in jeopardy from voter fraud, and they desperately lashed out in a dangerous, reckless hysteria to protect that system.
Um, except they specifically said they WERE there to interfere in the constitutional process of certifying the election…

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
What's the popular refrain from many? "Perhaps you should have thought of that before doing..."

FFS

:sneaky:

Everyone's for law & order, strong criminal reform, and whatnot, when it's applied to someone else. Probably a PoC. When it happens to them... it's a "hardship". 🤬 The privilege of some people. :brickwall:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
What's the popular refrain from many? "Perhaps you should have thought of that before doing..."

FFS

:sneaky:

Everyone's for law & order, strong criminal reform, and whatnot, when it's applied to someone else. Probably a PoC. When it happens to them... it's a "hardship". 🤬 The privilege of some people. :brickwall:

Funny how the Trump supporters say the violence wasn’t Trump’s fault… until they are facing jail time. Then, it becomes all Trump’s fault.

Top Bottom
1 2