Musk offers to buy Twitter

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
While I have not tested with these cars I can tell you that when the Tesla preconditions (as you drive to the charger) it is extremely fast, I went from 15% to 60% in under 10 minutes. When pulling into a gas station and going through the motions I would call it comparable.

My garage door tension spring broke yesterday, so i drove to the supercharger in Cupertino to power up for the next couple of days. Took 45 minutes to add 100 miles of range (taking it to around 85% charged). I wasn’t thrilled about it, but given how infrequently I have to power up that way it was fine.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
My garage door tension spring broke yesterday, so i drove to the supercharger in Cupertino to power up for the next couple of days. Took 45 minutes to add 100 miles of range (taking it to around 85% charged). I wasn’t thrilled about it, but given how infrequently I have to power up that way it was fine.
Did you precondition? Mine does it automatically when I put in a supercharger for the destination, the difference between that and a cold charge is like night and day.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Did you precondition? Mine does it automatically when I put in a supercharger for the destination, the difference between that and a cold charge is like night and day.

There is no manual preconditioning control in my car. I did have a supercharger as a destination, but no idea if it preconditions or not.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Why not the Kia/Hyundai? They charge faster than pretty much all other EVs.

Oh yeah, also solid options in the same price range, for no specific reason other than the general vibe I get from the VW :D I do like the Ioniq quite a bit, though I'm not sure if the super quirky styling would wear thin quickly.

Yeah, your shit is busted :D

I can do 10-80% in ~30 minutes and that's adding roughly 200 miles of range for my use rate (which is a bit higher than some ...)

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
There is no manual preconditioning control in my car. I did have a supercharger as a destination, but no idea if it preconditions or not.
Yeah, wonder if it's do to the model or age of the car. It tells you onscreen that it's preconditioning and you can hear it spinning up the entire time, even after you plug it in but it sure is fast.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, wonder if it's do to the model or age of the car. It tells you onscreen that it's preconditioning and you can hear it spinning up the entire time, even after you plug it in but it sure is fast.

Yeah, then it wasn’t preconditioning. I heard it spin up about 15 minutes into the actual charging, but by that point it had cut the current by quite a bit. Back in my day we had to pay extra for a second on-board charger if we wanted to supercharge at “full speed” (which I think is still less than modern Tesla’s can charge at).

On the other hand, I charge for free, don’t pay for connectivity, and live in a house where the garage door can’t be opened. So there are pluses and minuses.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
[...] live in a house where the garage door can’t be opened.

That is a bitch if the spring breaks. Opener issues? No sweat, pull the release, open it manually. Lifting a 200 lb door without any assistance? Yikes.

And that's not even an easy DIY, garage door springs can murder you if you don't know what you're doing.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
That is a bitch if the spring breaks. Opener issues? No sweat, pull the release, open it manually. Lifting a 200 lb door without any assistance? Yikes.

And that's not even an easy DIY, garage door springs can murder you if you don't know what you're doing.
yeah, and my wife tried tugging on the release (she doesn't know what happens when the spring breaks :) ), and the release broke, too.

Got a guy coming tomorrow. I'm not going to screw around with the murder-spring.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
yeah, and my wife tried tugging on the release (she doesn't know what happens when the spring breaks :) ), and the release broke, too.

Got a guy coming tomorrow. I'm not going to screw around with the murder-spring.

Are they the round ones that are on the rod between the doors or extension springs with one of each side of the door?

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I see it going 2 possible ways.

Musk claims that more than 5% of users are bots. Twitter will have to counter his claims. If they can, then he may go ahead with the purchase.

But if they can't prove it, then he should be able to walk away. The risk for Twitter here is if they can't prove that less than 5% of users are bots, it will hurt their advertising revenue.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I see it going 2 possible ways.

Musk claims that more than 5% of users are bots. Twitter will have to counter his claims. If they can, then he may go ahead with the purchase.

But if they can't prove it, then he should be able to walk away. The risk for Twitter here is if they can't prove that less than 5% of users are bots, it will hurt their advertising revenue.

Except that’s not how it works now that the courts will be involved. He is repudiating the contract. If he wants to argue that he had good cause, the burden is on him to prove that more than 5% are bots (and that any such difference matters). Twitter doesn’t have to prove anything.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Except that’s not how it works now that the courts will be involved. He is repudiating the contract. If he wants to argue that he had good cause, the burden is on him to prove that more than 5% are bots (and that any such difference matters). Twitter doesn’t have to prove anything.
Exactly. Twitter doesn’t have the burden of proof here. I hope he ends up paying the $1 billion fine because it’s beyond obvious that he is not going through with the purchase.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

True, but he should be able to subpoena the records he needs to prove his case.

Either way, advertisers may have questions.

Do you think the shareholders will have a suit against the board if they were not able to prove they didn't have over 5% bots?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Exactly. Twitter doesn’t have the burden of proof here. I hope he ends up paying the $1 billion fine because it’s beyond obvious that he is not going through with the purchase.
Chump change for the biggest troll of the year.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
A billion dollars is a lot even for him. That’s like 50 less children he’ll be able to afford siring.
Vxe0weo.gif

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
True, but he should be able to subpoena the records he needs to prove his case.

Either way, advertisers may have questions.

Do you think the shareholders will have a suit against the board if they were not able to prove they didn't have over 5% bots?

I don't think discovery would turn up what he expects. The thing that jumped out to me right at the start is that Musk is stomping his feet while committing a classification error. Twitter reports "monetizable users", Musk's claims are for "all users". These are not the same category. And as an advertiser, I'm more interested in the monetizable users (i.e. my reach) and the numbers of those which are bots (accounts that will see an ad but never click on it), hence why Twitter reports that.

But Musk is essentially claiming that Twitter is reporting "all users", which is not the case. And it does confuse the issue, going by the questions you've posed so far.

The hilarious thing is, had he not waived due diligence, he'd likely have the answers he wants. At the end of the day, the issue is going to be reliant on the question: Is Twitter executing the contract in good faith or not? Musk is claiming they are not. And the issue is ultimately not about the bots, but the contract. Musk's position isn't terribly strong on that front.

Top Bottom
1 2