Musk offers to buy Twitter

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
As far as that employee letter, and no offense intended to any Tesla owners here, but most car manufacturers are now quickly moving into EVs and Teslas are going to be more associated with ascribing to Musk’s politics (because he can’t keep his damn mouth shut) than a status symbol or environmental awareness.

No offense taken at all, it's a car, I don't care about the CEO, just like if Satya Nadella came out as involved in sick shit with children (to be clear there's ZERO talk of this completely fabricated example), I'd continue to use Microsoft products.

Bottom line is my Model 3 Performance is spectacular: fast, safe, roomy, quiet, enviro-friendly with the best charging network in the US by a large margin, plus it'll be a year old this Sunday, with no service issues. There's literally nothing to replace it in the model segment, with the exception of the BMW I4 M50, and I won't buy something with that much ICE cruft. Seriously, if I had one tiny issue with any of this, the car, etc., I'd return it tomorrow.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
No offense taken at all, it's a car, I don't care about the CEO, just like if Satya Nadella came out as involved in sick shit with children (to be clear there's ZERO talk of this completely fabricated example), I'd continue to use Microsoft products.
That’s where you and I part ways. I don’t want to put any more money in Musk’s pocket, and although I love my model S, I’ll settle for something not as good, next time, if that’s what I need to do. It wouldn’t bother me as much if I didn’t get the feeling that he is using the money he makes at Tesla to try and screw up our democracy some more and to stick it to minorities, LGBT folks, women, etc.

Of course, unlike you, I’ve had numerous service issues with my Model S, and I’m also fed up with not having CarPlay, so at least I can console myself that while I may be losing some things (charging network - which I’ve used fewer than a dozen times, range, performance, etc), I can probably gain other things. I would like to think that I would abandon his companies in any case, but who knows.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
That’s where you and I part ways. I don’t want to put any more money in Musk’s pocket, and although I love my model S, I’ll settle for something not as good, next time, if that’s what I need to do. It wouldn’t bother me as much if I didn’t get the feeling that he is using the money he makes at Tesla to try and screw up our democracy some more and to stick it to minorities, LGBT folks, women, etc.

Of course, unlike you, I’ve had numerous service issues with my Model S, and I’m also fed up with not having CarPlay, so at least I can console myself that while I may be losing some things (charging network - which I’ve used fewer than a dozen times, range, performance, etc), I can probably gain other things. I would like to think that I would abandon his companies in any case, but who knows.

Car is already purchased, I didn't say I'd buy another one, I'm just not - at the moment - going to bail on a vehicle that's been pretty fantastic when there's no replacement and a global supply chain issue so I might be sitting around without a car for a year.

I'm hoping a few companies, especially the aforementioned BMW get their dedicated EV platforms sorted out, offer some sport sedans without any leftover ICE design, and the charging network in the US opens up.

So let me frame this a little better:

If I was buying today, and there was no concern over delivery times and charging networks, and in addition to Tesla, there were at least 1 or 2 other companies providing something comparable / in the same market segment - then, yes, I would favor something that's not a Tesla :)

If I had your service history, I'd definitely not buy again (I would've already had some legal gears churning :D)

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
while I may be losing some things (charging network - which I’ve used fewer than a dozen times, range, performance, etc), I can probably gain other things. I would like to think that I would abandon his companies in any case

You were talking about moving back to the small place, where thing A is not always 38 miles away from thing B and having a car that cannot do 200 miles between plugins may not matter all that much. Hell, you barely need a car at all in the city.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Car is already purchased, I didn't say I'd buy another one, I'm just not - at the moment - going to bail on a vehicle that's been pretty fantastic when there's no replacement and a global supply chain issue so I might be sitting around without a car for a year.

I'm hoping a few companies, especially the aforementioned BMW get their dedicated EV platforms sorted out, offer some sport sedans without any leftover ICE design, and the charging network in the US opens up.

So let me frame this a little better:

If I was buying today, and there was no concern over delivery times and charging networks, and in addition to Tesla, there were at least 1 or 2 other companies providing something comparable / in the same market segment - then, yes, I would favor something that's not a Tesla :)

Ah, I see. Yeah, i wouldn’t get rid of the car just because of Musk - doing so would be purely performative anyway. Just don’t see the point in buying one in the future. Hopefully he’ll get bored of tesla, anyway, and go be a racist/sexist/homophobic MAGA twit someplace else.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
You were talking about moving back to the small place, where thing A is not always 38 miles away from thing B and having a car that cannot do 200 miles between plugins may not matter all that much. Hell, you barely need a car at all in the city.
True, my hope is to never have to buy another car. But I’m nearing the point where the battery may spontaneously die, and it will be at least 5 years before I can move to the city,.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Ah, I see. Yeah, i wouldn’t get rid of the car just because of Musk - doing so would be purely performative anyway. Just don’t see the point in buying one in the future. Hopefully he’ll get bored of tesla, anyway, and go be a racist/sexist/homophobic MAGA twit someplace else.

Right, exactly! Heck, if anything else favored getting rid of it, I'd seriously consider it, but right now, the only downside, is the CEO is a fuckwit :ROFLMAO:

And admittedly, even as good as ours has been, I've still had that discussion with Wife, with "myself" (so to speak). Yeah, I'm kind of hoping Tesla moves way out of his interest and become essentially Musk-free :D

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
In a couple years time there should be more competition and that’s when Musk’s politics will weigh heavy on Tesla. Tesla may still be top of the pack on technology then but a lot of people don’t need top of the pack.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
In a couple years time there should be more competition and that’s when Musk’s politics will weigh heavy on Tesla. Tesla may still be top of the pack on technology then but a lot of people don’t need top of the pack.

Oh yeah, there's going to be a HUGE number of options, from all the major players, 2nd and 3rd generation EV platforms, much better battery tech, big expansions in the DCFC (non-Telsa) networks, and if Tesla follows what they're doing in Europe, those thousands of Superchargers will be available to all cars.

We'll be ready for something new in '24, and unless a lot changes, it will likely not be a Tesla. Right now (and certainly a year ago), Tesla does the EV stuff so well, but as other companies who do the car thing better start ramping up, the marketspace is going to very different in 2 years.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh yeah, there's going to be a HUGE number of options, from all the major players, 2nd and 3rd generation EV platforms, much better battery tech, big expansions in the DCFC (non-Telsa) networks, and if Tesla follows what they're doing in Europe, those thousands of Superchargers will be available to all cars.

We'll be ready for something new in '24, and unless a lot changes, it will likely not be a Tesla. Right now (and certainly a year ago), Tesla does the EV stuff so well, but as other companies who do the car thing better start ramping up, the marketspace is going to very different in 2 years.

Tesla will probably still be doing the tech incredibly well but if Musk continues down the same road it will be like buying a Lamborghini with a giant MAGA logo on the hood and “Fuck the workers!” on the rear that can’t be removed or covered. You could still get one….or maybe see what they have going on at the Ferrari lot.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
As I said before, all of this trolling probably isn't worth it. It just brings more eyeballs than necessary, just to have the guy turn around & whine about it & go 'r'. But he did it... So SEC is looking into him again, and he's getting sued again.

But I'm here just to point out, "Happy Juneteenth"

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1538604035141341184/

oprah-no.gif

diamond.g

Power User
Reaction score
True, my hope is to never have to buy another car. But I’m nearing the point where the battery may spontaneously die, and it will be at least 5 years before I can move to the city,.
I hear Lucid Airs are pretty nice…

diamond.g

Power User
Reaction score

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Call me when they cost ⅓ the price.

Yeah, they're a bit expensive, the new pricing for the entry level model is close to $90K (though they still qualify for the $7500 fed tax credit), and that model is kind of blah.

To be honest, I'm wary of any of these boutique type EV companies: Lucid, Rivian, etc., I think Tesla has shown the EV (and even tech side) can be done, but it's the car side (so to speak), building at scale, getting spare parts, having a service channel, that are the things that are hard.

I think today, if were in the market, didn't want to spend Model Y or BMW money, was good with a CUV/SUV platform, and the charging network wasn't as much of a concern, I'd get a VW ID.4 Pro S. $45K, a couple of grand of tweaks, $7500 tax credit, putting it right about $41-42K OTD.

diamond.g

Power User
Reaction score
Yeah, they're a bit expensive, the new pricing for the entry level model is close to $90K (though they still qualify for the $7500 fed tax credit), and that model is kind of blah.

To be honest, I'm wary of any of these boutique type EV companies: Lucid, Rivian, etc., I think Tesla has shown the EV (and even tech side) can be done, but it's the car side (so to speak), building at scale, getting spare parts, having a service channel, that are the things that are hard.

I think today, if were in the market, didn't want to spend Model Y or BMW money, was good with a CUV/SUV platform, and the charging network wasn't as much of a concern, I'd get a VW ID.4 Pro S. $45K, a couple of grand of tweaks, $7500 tax credit, putting it right about $41-42K OTD.
Why not the Kia/Hyundai? They charge faster than pretty much all other EVs.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Why not the Kia/Hyundai? They charge faster than pretty much all other EVs.
While I have not tested with these cars I can tell you that when the Tesla preconditions (as you drive to the charger) it is extremely fast, I went from 15% to 60% in under 10 minutes. When pulling into a gas station and going through the motions I would call it comparable.

Top Bottom
1 2