Katbel

Site Champ
Staff Member
Reaction score
Great first post! Welcome to the site.
Thanks
I'm running in a little problem
I get "Ooops
You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.
Why I can post but I'm not able to "like" photos?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Thanks
I'm running in a little problem
I get "Ooops
You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.
Why I can post but I'm not able to "like" photos?
After a few posts (and a little time) that will change for you. :)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
The cardinal peeps have grown up a good bit. Mom is generally in the nest, but Dad comes and goes usually prompted by as emergency tweet :D He lured me away this morning :)

DSC_0084.jpeg

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Stanford's radio telescope, located on the 3.5 mile Dish Loop hiking trail in back of the university.

The dish is 150 feet in diameter and sits on a rotating platform (along with the operations building) for azimuth control. It was built for the US government in the early 1960s using US Air Force funding. In its early days it supported communications with various satellite and manned spaceflight missions. It also was used to intercept Soviet signals intelligence, including bistatic Hen House early warning radar transmissions reflected off the Moon.

Cows at dish.jpg

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Stanford's radio telescope, located on the 3.5 mile Dish Loop hiking trail in back of the university.

The dish is 150 feet in diameter and sits on a rotating platform (along with the operations building) for azimuth control. It was built for the US government in the early 1960s using US Air Force funding. In its early days it supported communications with various satellite and manned spaceflight missions. It also was used to intercept Soviet signals intelligence, including bistatic Hen House early warning radar transmissions reflected off the Moon.

View attachment 13918

I work 1.3 miles from there, and have never gone. Should I?

Katbel

Site Champ
Staff Member
Reaction score

I've been on the Dish Loop hiking trail so many times! Good memories 🙂

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I work 1.3 miles from there, and have never gone. Should I?

Yes! If you like hikes with just a bit (maybe a bit+) of hill. It's kind of a Bay Area place to go. I've been going there off and on (mostly off recently) for 20+ years. The main loop, starting where Stanford Ave. hits Junipero Serra Rd, is around 3.5 miles and takes around an hour; maybe an hour and ten minutes.

There's also an entrance on Alpine Rd where a trail leads into the loop, roughly where the dish is. There's also livestock to commune with on that connecting trail. :)

Attachments

• Stanford Cows-105.jpg
    Stanford Cows-105.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 37

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes! If you like hikes with just a bit (maybe a bit+) of hill. It's kind of a Bay Area place to go. I've been going there off and on (mostly off recently) for 20+ years. The main loop, starting where Stanford Ave. hits Junipero Serra Rd, is around 3.5 miles and takes around an hour; maybe an hour and ten minutes.

There's also an entrance on Alpine Rd where a trail leads into the loop, roughly where the dish is. There's livestock to commune with on that connecting trail. :)

Ok. Sounds awful :)
I like long walks, but I like there to be an ice cream parlor at the destination :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
1 2