Reddit's r/antiwork sub has imploded

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
After giving an interview to Fox News the entire thing went sideways

A little background for those who don't know, r/antiwork took off with the great resignation movement, it was actually a cool sub in its own right because it gave regular working people a voice and a place they can share their shitty experiences at work.

One of the moderators then went on Fox News and got eviscerated and it looks like they're now cowering with their tail between their legs. This is my take anyway, if anyone else has an opinion let's hear it.

MarkusL

Power User
Reaction score
IMG_3229.resized-300x225.jpg

D

Deleted member 215

No one has mastered the art of infighting like the progressive left.

People who aren't adequately prepared for debate should not go on TV to defend their movement. (And I second the opinion that a representative of this movement should not have gone on Fox News at all). Not everyone who supports a movement is a born debater. They only serve to undermine the movement by getting "owned" on conservative TV.

Last edited by a moderator:

NT1440

Power User
Reaction score
No one has mastered the art of infighting like the progressive left.

People who aren't adequately prepared for debate should not go on TV to defend their movement. (And I second the opinion that a representative of this movement should not have gone on Fox News at all). Not everyone who supports a movement is a born debater. They only serve to undermine the movement by getting "owned" on conservative TV.
…are you a producer for TV news? THEY pick the interviews and they choose people who will further THEIR corporate interests.

Corporate media is not a friend of the working class. Any stories about workers should be viewed with that lens in mind.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
EDIT: I think my original post here was the result of misreading the OP and even the article posted isn't exactly clear.

So, the outrage is over the fact that she wasn't prepared or a good representative for the movement?

I originally thought the outrage was that she went on Fox News, period, which is something I have seen.

Last edited:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
…are you a producer for TV news? THEY pick the interviews and they choose people who will further THEIR corporate interests.

Corporate media is not a friend of the working class. Any stories about workers should be viewed with that lens in mind.
^ This. Regardless of which side of the aisle the media is on, you need to be prepared to enter the lions den. In this case Fox News has been railing against this sub since it took off so they should've expected hostile and tough questioning, they clearly weren't prepared. I would've had way more respect if they publicly turned them down.

As for the sub itself, it's just tapping into a movement that is finally giving the people an upper hand in what's been a corporate-run world for decades. Good for them, use it to get better wages and treatment.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

I prefer PBS for this reason.

U

User.45

^ This. Regardless of which side of the aisle the media is on, you need to be prepared to enter the lions den. In this case Fox News has been railing against this sub since it took off so they should've expected hostile and tough questioning, they clearly weren't prepared. I would've had way more respect if they publicly turned them down.

As for the sub itself, it's just tapping into a movement that is finally giving the people an upper hand in what's been a corporate-run world for decades. Good for them, use it to get better wages and treatment.
I read the frontpage antiwork posts regularly and they fall into broad 3 categories:
A) Legitimate concerns about work policies violating workers' rights
B) Ridiculous made up posts about texts from bosses for karma farming
C) Legit communist propaganda.

In the meantime, not even this subreddit managed to hit frontpage by pointing out how absurd it is that in America, health insurance is called a "benefit", which I consider the single most significant factor in why employers have a disproportionate power over their workers.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I read the frontpage antiwork posts regularly and they fall into broad 3 categories:
A) Legitimate concerns about work policies violating workers' rights
B) Ridiculous made up posts about texts from bosses for karma farming
Agreed on both counts here, hard to tell what's legit and what isn't, YMMV.

C) Legit communist propaganda.
I don't necessarily see this is a bad thing. We've tried Capitalism and unless you're a fat cat it hasn't done much for everyone else.

U

User.45

I don't necessarily see this is a bad thing. We've tried Capitalism and unless you're a fat cat it hasn't done much for everyone else.
Well... authoritarian ideologies are dead ends. Communism will always lose out to capitalism. Capitalism (competition in general) is an amplifier. The issue is, it amplifies bad stuff too. Isn't the logical approach to reduce the bad stuff from getting amplified instead of throwing away the whole system?

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Well... authoritarian ideologies are dead ends. Communism will always lose out to capitalism. Capitalism (competition in general) is an amplifier. The issue is, it amplifies bad stuff too. Isn't the logical approach to reduce the bad stuff from getting amplified instead of throwing away the whole system?
It kind of depends on what you call "the bad stuff". It is a matter of opinion, the difference between good and bad. I tend to see capitalism (our system, at least) as a big fire that burns a lot of fuel and gives useful heat to some who need it while singeing and scorching quite a few more. The net gain is debatable, and meanwhile, the fire is threatening to choke us in mountains of ash. But the tenders tell us the ash is not a problem, we can deal with it.

Perhaps throwing the whole system away is folly, but it is so severely broken and resistant to real repair that I am not sure that throwing it away and building something more equitable and sustainable might not be the better option. If we could work on it together, bearing in mind that no one has the ideal solution, we could build the thing that is neither communism nor capitalism but functions well with far fewer of the flaws of those systems.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Brought to you by the Koch brothers and Raytheon/Lockheed (can’t remember which).

There are no institutions left in America that haven’t been corrupted by obscene wealth’s influence.
Read this:

They have complete independence, and they publicly disclose their donors to avoid any appearance of impropriety. Very different from commercial media.

Last edited:
U

User.45

It kind of depends on what you call "the bad stuff". It is a matter of opinion, the difference between good and bad. I tend to see capitalism (our system, at least) as a big fire that burns a lot of fuel and gives useful heat to some who need it while singeing and scorching quite a few more. The net gain is debatable, and meanwhile, the fire is threatening to choke us in mountains of ash. But the tenders tell us the ash is not a problem, we can deal with it.

Perhaps throwing the whole system away is folly, but it is so severely broken and resistant to real repair that I am not sure that throwing it away and building something more equitable and sustainable might not be the better option. If we could work on it together, bearing in mind that no one has the ideal solution, we could build the thing that is neither communism nor capitalism but functions well with far fewer of the flaws of those systems.
Well, throwing away broken stuff instead of fixing them is a very good example of bad things amplified.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Well, throwing away broken stuff instead of fixing them is a very good example of bad things amplified.
There is a movie running on the TV just now, The Grapes of Wrath, which just had a scene that casts a bright light on one of our system's biggest flaws. The people that make major decisions have no connection to them beyond a number on a ledger. I understand how finance works, but when it comes down to strangers in other cities handing down decisions that end up ruining the lives of people they have never even so much as glimpsed out the 27th floor window, and have chains of authority that prevent the affected from even knowing who the decision makers are, that is a serious defect.

Capitalism is a socioeconomic system, which means that what we have is clearly not even genuine capitalism since its defining structure and function works to strip the "socio-" part right out of it.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I am not anti-Capitalism either and I do get this argument, at the same time in China when they tell you to wear masks, you're wearing a mask and that's that. One could argue about their case counts and that would be fair but the point is they address without a bunch of rightwing lunatics telling them to stick it while gladly spreading the virus.

The other side of that are human rights atrocities, like Tibet. I would like to see more of a balance somewhere in the middle but Capitalism makes for wild and unpredictable cultural and financial shifts.

Top Bottom
1 2