Russia-Ukraine

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Republican methodology: when someone points out your stupidity, step forward and double-down on it. The question is, did they learn it from the Kremlin or did the Kremlin get it from them?

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
A Russian reporter wandered about talking to fellow Russians about the thingy. About half of them did not want to talk. The ones that did, though, it will hurt your head to read about it. The country seems to be full of befuddled MRGAts who refer to their czar as "Uncle Vova".

I’d heard that word already, from my mother. On the third day of the war, I went over to her house and she suddenly started talking about targeted strikes and “where were we looking for the past eight years.” I started telling her about the bombings, about a girl I knew in Kharkiv who’d called me, terrified, during a break in the shelling. I explained that there was a real war going on and that I didn’t understand how people refused to see this monstrous thing. My mother sat there stupefied, staring down at the floor.

“People are tired of negativity,” she sighed.

That phrase explained something. In the past 20 years, every time I’ve happened to overhear what’s being said on television, they were frightening people with something: migrants, “Gayropa,” Banderites — the main thing is that these people are just “others.” I suppose that the audience itself had wanted this. Having something specific to fear was more manageable than the free-floating terror of the unknown that people were forced to live with during the 1990s.

This bit got my attention. Pound the people with relentless ugly, wear them down with it, and you can get (most of) them into a space where they can be easily manipulated. I cannot imagine anywhere else where this might have been tried …

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
A Russian reporter wandered about talking to fellow Russians about the thingy. About half of them did not want to talk. The ones that did, though, it will hurt your head to read about it. The country seems to be full of befuddled MRGAts who refer to their czar as "Uncle Vova".

I’d heard that word already, from my mother. On the third day of the war, I went over to her house and she suddenly started talking about targeted strikes and “where were we looking for the past eight years.” I started telling her about the bombings, about a girl I knew in Kharkiv who’d called me, terrified, during a break in the shelling. I explained that there was a real war going on and that I didn’t understand how people refused to see this monstrous thing. My mother sat there stupefied, staring down at the floor.
“People are tired of negativity,” she sighed.
That phrase explained something. In the past 20 years, every time I’ve happened to overhear what’s being said on television, they were frightening people with something: migrants, “Gayropa,” Banderites — the main thing is that these people are just “others.” I suppose that the audience itself had wanted this. Having something specific to fear was more manageable than the free-floating terror of the unknown that people were forced to live with during the 1990s.

This bit got my attention. Pound the people with relentless ugly, wear them down with it, and you can get (most of) them into a space where they can be easily manipulated. I cannot imagine anywhere else where this might have been tried …

I think it's going to be difficult to find a loved one of a dead Russian soldier who feels the sacrifice was worth it. A landbridge to a port city is exciting stuff for sure, but I don't know if I want somebody I love to die over it. Maybe my bar for labeling somebody a hero is a little high.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
I think it's going to be difficult to find a loved one of a dead Russian soldier who feels the sacrifice was worth it. A landbridge to a port city is exciting stuff for sure, but I don't know if I want somebody I love to die over it. Maybe my bar for labeling somebody a hero is a little high.

Yeah. There have apparently been some outspoken parents of presumed dead Moskva sailors… though apparently the Russian government has only indicated sailors as “missing”. Understandably their families are upset about this as they know their loved ones are dead and the government won’t admit it. Russia had initially claimed everyone had been rescued.

Interestingly, the Russians had some ceremony awarding survivors of the Moskva. There were far, far, far less than 500 sailors there, something closer to a quarter of that.

I would hope between dying sons and husbands and painful sanctions will create public pushback. I don’t believe 83% of the population supports the war, but I do believe most people are not willing to voice their true opinion for obvious reasons.

Agent47

Power User
Reaction score
Well… the fact that Trump isn‘t on the list is to be expected. He wouldn‘d put his vasalle on it, would he?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Wait. So Morgan Freeman is no longer welcome in Russia, because of Ukraine. What ever will he do now?

Hahaha, yes, here he is, giving exactly no fucks ...

1653232677329.png

D

Deleted member 215

The conflict seems to have taken a turn for the worse recently. Attacks on Kiev are starting up again, Sievierodonetsk has been lost. This war could go on for many years to come. I do not see Ukraine ever regaining the Donbas.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score

It seems the Russia oil embargo is about as effective at stopping Putin's war as a southern border wall would be against stopping all illegal immigrants in the US.

Can't say I blame them for trying, but I think this should be acknowledged. The world is getting punished while Putin is doing just fine, some would even say great.

Macky-Mac

Power User
Reaction score
....... while Putin is doing just fine, some would even say great.

That seems like an overly generous assessment of how things are going for Putin......if things were "doing just fine for Putin", this would have been over long ago. Instead his forces are still slogging along slowly making relatively small gains.

This isn't to say that things are going "fine" for the Ukrainians, far from it.......instead it's a bloody mess for both sides.

When it comes to "some would even say great", well, no doubt Putin would tell you things are going great......and probably some of his advisors would too, so I guess it's true that "some would even say great"

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
On the bright side, the financial efforts are working well. Russia has defaulted on all its loans and is pretty much bankrupt (financially as well as morally). When their supplies run out…that’s it.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Just hours after agreeing to a deal brokered by Turkey and the UN to ensure grain shipments and prevent mass starvation in other countries…

When the Kremlin is up in flames, Putin will only have himself to blame.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Daughter of ultra-nationalist Putin ally killed in car bomb attack in Moscow:

So who do we think did this? Could it have been Ukraine?

I don’t think it was Ukraine. It doesn’t really benefit them. They were already bringing the war to the Russians by arranging for weapons and fuel depots to explode. No reason to make martyrs.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don’t think it was Ukraine. It doesn’t really benefit them. They were already bringing the war to the Russians by arranging for weapons and fuel depots to explode. No reason to make martyrs.
Russia is taking a(nother) page from the GOP playbook and eating itself.

Macky-Mac

Power User
Reaction score

Myabe....maybe not.

The actual target seems to have been the father of the woman who died, and he's apparently been a major promoter of Russian seizing Ukraine.

Given the recent flurry of Ukrainian attacks on Russian facilities in supposedly safe occupied Crimea, killing a major advocate of the war could be part of making it clear to Russians that their scheme hasn't been the success that their government claims.....although certainly the Ukrainians will deny any involvement

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Myabe....maybe not.

The actual target seems to have been the father of the woman who died, and he's apparently been a major promoter of Russian seizing Ukraine.

Given the recent flurry of Ukrainian attacks on Russian facilities in supposedly safe occupied Crimea, killing a major advocate of the war could be part of making it clear to Russians that their scheme hasn't been the success that their government claims.....although certainly the Ukrainians will deny any involvement
if you’re ukraine you want the Russians on your side - you want them to think it’s an unjust war. Assassinations do nothing other than galvanize the population.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
if you’re ukraine you want the Russians on your side - you want them to think it’s an unjust war. Assassinations do nothing other than galvanize the population.

I agree. If Ukraine is responsible for this attack it seems like it would be a very unwise move. You don’t want Russian civilians to feel threatened in their homeland and therefore be more likely to support the “special military operation” of not push for all out war.

I don’t like to push conspiracy theories of false flag attacks, but it seems entirely possible that this attack is indeed one. Russia has a history of doing this and what better way to drum up public support than to make civilians feel threatened and support further military action?Especially when Russia’s invasion hasn’t exactly gone to plan and Ukraine has been scoring significant hits against Russia in occupied territory and Russia proper…

Though probably less likely, it’s not impossible that the Ukrainians are responsible, wanting to send a message no one is safe. Or a Ukrainian soft unit within Russia independently what I would see as a poor decision. Or it could be the work of anti-war Russians.

Regardless of who is responsible, this will surely be used by Russia to escalate things and I expect to see brutal retaliation on their part.

Top Bottom
1 2