Student loan forgiveness

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
We must have had the same Econ professor. Except mine actually smoked in class while talking about inelastic demand. He also railed against KCL NOT being a substitute good for NaCl. LOL.

My mom smoked for much of her life. Started in college in the late 40's and smoked until the late 80's. She said she was going to start again when she was 80. She did not because the prices were simply too high. LOL

The last time I quit was 22 years ago after smoking for about 25 or 30 years (and having quit at least six or eight times, sometimes for three weeks and once for two years... "slow learner.")

in my case it wasn't the money, it was a blizzard and having three days to ask myself was I still not tired enough yet of going through nicotine withdrawal one more time? Maybe enough already?! I decided to take it as a sign that the blizzard was on MLK Jr. day. "Free at last?" I sold that idea in during the ensuing two days before they cleared out the town roads.

The price of cigarettes is astounding to me now and I cannot imagine paying for a pack of them more than I used to pay for a carton. NYS has the highest retail price in the country, over $12 a pack. No wonder the smoker rate in the state is down around 12%.

The demand for addictive products is still relatively inelastic... but at least in New York and with respect to cigarettes, the price may finally become a disincentive. The woman who ran the general store in the village finally quit selling them because it had become such a pain to sell a controlled item (lockup rules, audits and inventory paperwork etc) just to please remaining customers who were willing to scrape up the dough for a pack.

Some of her customers had apparently started to ask if she sold "lucies" -- loose cigarettes like they used to sell at candy stores in NYC way back in the day. That is illegal of course, and that's about when she decided not to bother with cigarette sales any more. It's not clear those customers were ever going to be able or willing to go buy a carton in town (20 miles RT), since they were asking to buy a lucie. So they may have just quit smoking when she quit selling.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
The last time I quit was 22 years ago after smoking for about 25 or 30 years

Fortunately I never started. As a kid, I hated being in the car with my mom and all that smoke. Will have a cigar on occasion, but that is like 1 or 2 times a year.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Asshats republicans of course appealed and got an 11th hour block of the federal judges rejection of their petition. I swear they just don't want to help Americans.
Plus it costs them nothing so why not? At least finally they have shown all they care about is helping the rich and screw everyone else.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Top Bottom
1 2