The assailant who attacked Paul Pelosi was searching for Nancy

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
So now we know that an ACTUAL attack on spouse of the Speaker, by someone rampaging around looking to harm her as well, will prompt at least a few hasty disavowals of violence by nominal leaders of the party of Trump.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said in a tweet, that he was "horrified and disgusted by the reports that Paul Pelosi was assaulted in his and Speaker Pelosi’s home last night."​
Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, tweeted, "I wish Mr Pelosi well & pray for a quick recovery Everyone deserves 2b respected & violence is never okay."​
They refrained from direct reference to "political violence" -- at least for now. Fair enough, while the investigation of the suspect's motives continue.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yeah, I just saw this, it's a little under the radar. JFC, this is what the GQP/Drumpism motivates, when you've got morons in every political ad posing with MUHGUNS their supporters go, "Oh yeah, guns, violence, that's the answer!"

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
My bad, I just rewatched and you are correct. Will amend my earlier comment.

The initial remarks there were hard to follow re: was he at first talking about Mr. or Ms. Pelosi? and it was distracting enough so I had to go back and play it again to envision the scene he was trying to describe.

Anyway so horrible an incident. And if politically motivated, well... pre-elections intimidation is starting to alarm election officials all over the country. There has been a rise in death threats against ordinary county or precinct election workers by anonymous and malevolent activists, just trying to intimidate those workers as they struggle to process incoming absentee ballots per whatever their respective state laws require.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
The Recount has posted the assailant has been identified as 42-year-old David Depape. Per @wsj, Depape has posted "extreme right wing views" on social media. Why am I not surprised?

Most of the articles I've found have paywalls but CNN's is avail.

ETA: Depape was being charged with attempted homicide, assault with a deadly weapon, elder abuse and other charges.

Last edited:

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
A disturbing incident indeed. I wish Mr. Pelosi the best in his recovery. It sounds like his injuries are significant but not life threatening. I think he and the Speaker were very lucky with this one.

As someone who has experienced a home invasion, people underestimate how traumatic it is to have your sense of security stolen- and that’s was without someone trying to kill me.

I think it’s hard to believe that this was not politically motivated. Why else would you try to kill Pelosi and her husband? That said, I think it’s important to recognize that killing domestic political opponents is not an explicit or implied policy endorsed by the Republican Party though. Guilt by association in these cases of extremism is far too often used to promote partisanship. It’s partisanship that incites people, often mentally disturbed individuals, to such extreme actions.

I have a suspicion we will find out that this perpetrator was not mentally well, but we shall see. Most sane people do not commit this type of crime and if they did, they’d probably be organized enough in their planning to ensure Nancy was actually home and not 3000 miles away in DC. If he brought the hammer, that’s an interesting choice of weapon, probably not most people’s top choice. Also, it’s odd to attempt a political hit on someone who could very possibly lose her position as majority leader in a matter of weeks. Given the risks involved with murdering someone, you’d think one would wait until after the elections.

In addition to extreme partisanship, this situation highlights the crime issue America is experiencing. If this guy has a long history of crime expect the right to jump on this opportunity.

I certainly do worry about political violence in the coming elections. From both sides but particularly the far right.

———
Not to sound like I’m “blaming the victim”, but how did this man get anywhere near the Pelosi house, let alone inside of it. You’d think being Speaker and 3rd in line to the presidency, not to mention the current political climate, they’d have some security provided from the government. And it’s not like she and her husband couldn’t afford private security. It seems entirely reasonable to me to provide security to our highest level leaders.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
I don't even know where to start with this asshat. You need to check his Twitter page to get the full effect of his insanity.
ETA: He's now deleted the tweet so you can't read the thread but my page was still open so caught this screen grab.

Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 2.35.20 PM.png

Plus this now deleted tweet that someone was able to screen grab prior. The internet truly is forever.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1586087260013072384/

Last edited:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I don't even know where to start with this asshat. You need to check his Twitter page to get the full effect of his insanity.
https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1586051815459938304/

Plus this now deleted tweet that someone was able to screen grab prior. The internet truly is forever.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1586087260013072384/
They fuel the anger in those who commit these crimes. Not sure what we can do at this point but a huge portion of the Republican party is basically a hate group with violent tendencies.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
I think it’s hard to believe that this was not politically motivated. Why else would you try to kill Pelosi and her husband? That said, I think it’s important to recognize that killing domestic political opponents is not an explicit or implied policy endorsed by the Republican Party though. Guilt by association in these cases of extremism is far too often used to promote partisanship. It’s partisanship that incites people, often mentally disturbed individuals, to such extreme actions.

It would be one thing if party leadership properly condemned and distanced themselves from active members of Congress that get themselves wrapped up in all this. But McConnell is holding an alliance with members of his party that have supported the election fraud claims while trying to cover his own ass out of political expedience, and McCarthy is out there saying Democrats are dismantling our democracy over Mar-a-Lago, and he’s not alone in the house on this point. Trumpism has infested the party, for sure, but the ones with integrity have been increasingly handed their hat during Trump’s term. And this year’s primaries are full of more Trumpism and claims that the 2020 election was stolen.

I honestly see events like this as examples of stochastic terrorism.

Not to sound like I’m “blaming the victim”, but how did this man get anywhere near the Pelosi house, let alone inside of it. You’d think being Speaker and 3rd in line to the presidency, not to mention the current political climate, they’d have some security provided from the government. And it’s not like she and her husband couldn’t afford private security. It seems entirely reasonable to me to provide security to our highest level leaders.

Out of 46 presidents, we’ve had 4 assassinations that were successful, and another 2 attempts that put a bullet in the target. Plus a handful more attempts where the perpetrator got close enough to do the deed, but either missed (and others have been killed in these cases), or had their weapon fail at the critical moment. These acts have been done despite security being available, and the president getting more security than speaker of the house would.

And I’d imagine the bulk of Speaker Pelosi’s security would have been in DC at the time of this incident… with Speaker Pelosi.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
They fuel the anger in those who commit these crimes. Not sure what we can do at this point but a huge portion of the Republican party is basically a hate group with violent tendencies.
Looks like the first tweet has been deleted. I should have screen grabbed that one too.

ETA: Hee hee. I still had the page up before he deleted it. I added it in my above post.

Last edited:

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
It would be one thing if party leadership properly condemned and distanced themselves from active members of Congress that get themselves wrapped up in all this. But McConnell is holding an alliance with members of his party that have supported the election fraud claims while trying to cover his own ass out of political expedience, and McCarthy is out there saying Democrats are dismantling our democracy over Mar-a-Lago, and he’s not alone in the house on this point. Trumpism has infested the party, for sure, but the ones with integrity have been increasingly handed their hat during Trump’s term. And this year’s primaries are full of more Trumpism and claims that the 2020 election was stolen.

I honestly see events like this as examples of stochastic terrorism.

Out of 46 presidents, we’ve had 4 assassinations that were successful, and another 2 attempts that put a bullet in the target. Plus a handful more attempts where the perpetrator got close enough to do the deed, but either missed (and others have been killed in these cases), or had their weapon fail at the critical moment. These acts have been done despite security being available, and the president getting more security than speaker of the house would.

And I’d imagine the bulk of Speaker Pelosi’s security would have been in DC at the time of this incident… with Speaker Pelosi.

I will say this, while Trump didn’t tell people to raid the capitol, he promoted a conspiracy that incited a riot. He should have known and was told was untrue, and therefore bears responsibility. Trump should have been booted from office.

Also bearing responsibility are all of those that perpetuated these claims despite the evidence and those that continue the claims to this day.

As for Republicans saying Dems are “dismantling our democracy”, that’s really par for the course in todays politics. Democrats say this kind of stuff all the time too. I think it’s more often than not completely hyperbolic and inappropriate language whoever is using it. Polling shows overwhelmingly both parties think the other is “destroying” the country. I suppose it just depends on what you think the country is and your vision for it.

But I would be remiss to say the left is not immune to violence. The Summer of 2020 had an incredible amount of destruction and people injured due to BLM protest-adjacent riots. Much private property (owned by innocent individuals and businesses) and a number of governement buildings (including court houses) were damaged or destroyed. Some democrat politicians made statements that could be interpreted as subtly perpetuating the violence, some promoted charities to bail out arrested protesters, but perhaps most troubling of all was the overwhelming silence when it came to condemning violence from democrat leaders.

I’m all for people utilizing their first amendment rights as the majority of people did involved in BLM protests. But destroying innocent peoples property and the economic future of your community is completely unacceptable.

This isn’t to say the issues on either side are the same, they’re generally not. But ignoring or rationalizing the actions of one side while condemning the other only drives the division and extremism deeper.

In my opinion is no place for political violence and both sides need to learn to work together to create a more harmonized country. The reality is both sides tribalism is destroying the country the fastest.

Top Bottom
1 2