The Democrat agenda 2022 and going forward

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
I think he's gearing up for 2024 should Biden not run. That ad he ran on Fox was just a start, though I think he needs to project a bit more anger and not smile/laugh as he did at 0:18 in the vid.
I'll be shocked if he doesn't run in 2024. I can't think of any other Dem that would be viable as of now. VP Kamala Harris is a nonentity and will have to kick her campaign into high gear.

Barring a very serious health issue/health crisis, Biden will run for reelection. And it probably doesn't even matter what happens in November. I think he thinks he's the only shot. And if another Dem candidate does earn the nod, running against him (Biden) will be a proving ground that earns the eventual nominee some points for the general.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I can see the commercials of him at the French Laundry now................ ;)

Seriously, that rules for thee, but not for me will be made an issue. Maybe not by a candidate, but PAC's for sure.

You’re probably right, but that was kind of a one off to hang your hat on. I would think the homeless (with poop and syringes in the streets) and sanctuary cities would be better targets. I was going to say high cost of living but a lot my former CA compatriots have already dispersed all over the country to make that a reality everywhere. It’s kind of like when Guiliani gave the NYC homeless bus tickets to CA. We’ve dispatched our highly paid professionals all over the country “Do you want your cost of living to be what it already is?!?” isn’t going to land too well.

Of course the right blew off a lot of potential red flags and disqualifiers with Trump in 2016, but also you couldn’t attach those to “while in office”.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think he's gearing up for 2024 should Biden not run. That ad he ran on Fox was just a start, though I think he needs to project a bit more anger and not smile/laugh as he did at 0:18 in the vid.

He is kind of the Democrats' equivalent to DeSantis, both can be seen as candidates acceptable to dethroning the current defacto party leaders and both will call Congress out on their shit and get their base riled up.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Let's be honest, anyone who commands the attention of more, is the one to get the criticisms more.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1544686702077259776/
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - A new poll on the race for the 2024 presidential shows California Gov. Gavin Newsom would do well if he should decide to run.

The recent Yahoo News/YouGov survey looked at hypothetical matchups between Newsom and potential Republican candidates for president in 2024.

Head to head against former President Donald Trump, Newsom received 40% support to 39% for Trump.

Against Florida Gov. Ron Desantis, Newsom came out ahead by 39% to 36%. More than 20% were undecided.

These results are fueling speculation about who Democrats may consider as a candidate two years.

"Right now, Democrats in Northern California have dominated the scene since Nancy Pelosi's been on the scene," said University of San Francisco political science professor James Taylor. "It shows Democratic strength against hypothetical Republican candidates, and that's a good sign for Democrats, but a lot has to happen between now and then."

Newsom's numbers were stronger against Trump than if Vice President Kamala Harris ran against him.

Taylor says that's likely because she is tied closely to president Biden, and those polled associate her with his unpopular administration.

The thing to bear in mind is the ire each governor gets from people that aren't their constituents & what that ire is based on. Is it talking points, or actual legislation done? Is something they would hold their own candidate accountable for, or is it as we paraphrase, "criticism for thee, but not for we"?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Let's be honest, anyone who commands the attention of more, is the one to get the criticisms more.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1544686702077259776/

The thing to bear in mind is the ire each governor gets from people that aren't their constituents & what that ire is based on. Is it talking points, or actual legislation done? Is something they would hold their own candidate accountable for, or is it as we paraphrase, "criticism for thee, but not for we"?
To me, the “reason” for Republicans to vote against Newsom as president would be that he’s from California. You cannot watch 5 minutes of Fox News without them taking a dump on California and/or Chicago.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
To me, the “reason” for Republicans to vote against Newsom as president would be that he’s from California. You cannot watch 5 minutes of Fox News without them taking a dump on California and/or Chicago.

That tells me the repubs are worried. Good. IMO, Newsom needs to tighten up his messaging. And not appear so jovial.

Another possibility: Stacey Abrams. Though similar to Newsom, she'd have to coordinate with her run for governor in Georgia.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
That tells me the repubs are worried. Good. IMO, Newsom needs to tighten up his messaging. And not appear so jovial.

Another possibility: Stacey Abrams. Though similar to Newsom, she'd have to coordinate with her run for governor in Georgia.
I think Abrams is out as a 2024 candidate. She's too invested in winning GA after being thwarted by voter suppression four years ago. All of her energy and resources are in GA. Win or lose she'll be too entangled. If she wins she'll have a lot to undo and probably with a hostile state legislature. Were she to try to run as a sitting governor, she would get tons of grief as the Governor's mansion just being a stepping stone for her. She'll be told to finish the job and not abandon the state. If she loses, some of the shine will be off her and she'll look less like a national contender.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Was watching the PBS News Hour this afternoon and there was a story about a recent poll of registered Democrats revealing 64% do not want Biden running again.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Was watching the PBS News Hour this afternoon and there was a story about a recent poll of registered Democrats revealing 64% do not want Biden running again.
There is discontent among many. One aspect of such a poll is that many people compare Biden to an ideal candidate that only exists in their mind. When you see polls in which they ask about Biden vs some actual people, things look quite a bit better for him.

Right now, Biden’s best bet would be another Trump run in 2024. As lukewarm as most might be about Biden, people will show up to make sure Trump never gets back into the White House.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Right now, Biden’s best bet would be another Trump run in 2024. As lukewarm as most might be about Biden, people will show up to make sure Trump never gets back into the White House.

I'm counting on a trump indictment and conviction. I suspect DeSantis will then be the gop nominee. Even without a trump conviction; as a lot of republicans are sick and tired of the trump clown show.

Two years from now, when he'll be 81, Biden will appear even more elderly; especially in how he walks and speaks, which is questionable now. The optics would be devastating sharing a debate stage with DeSantis who appears healthy and fit, and will be 45. And then there's inflation which will be blamed on Biden.

I'm looking for another dem option, one who is more aggressive, and can win.

Last edited:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I'm counting on a trump indictment and conviction. I suspect DeSantis will then be the gop nominee. Even without a trump conviction; as a lot of republicans are sick and tired of the trump clown show.

Two years from now, when he'll be 81, Biden will appear even more elderly; especially in how he walks and speaks, which is questionable now. The optics would be devastating sharing a debate stage with DeSantis who appears healthy and fit, and will be 45. And then there's inflation which will be blamed on Biden.

Who do you suggest?

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Who do you suggest?

Off the top of my head, here are some people I could get behind, in no particular order: Gavin Newsom, Stacey Abrams, Pete Buttigieg, and Cory Booker. Newsom is the only one I feel confident would run, assuming Biden doesn't. Though he and Abrams have their governor elections to deal with.

No doubt there's more.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I read an article interviewing a psychologist that determined that Democrat voters and politicians are conflict adverse which is exactly what you don’t need when the opposing side thrives on conflict and bullying. All that leads to is a perpetual state of shock from those left of center, and possibly a good amount of those in the center.

But I’ll add to that, while Democrats may be conflict adverse they don’t put politicians into office to get steamrolled by the right. They vote them in at minimum to protect them from the downstream bullying and their agenda.

Establishment Democrat politicians aren’t completely conflict adverse. They have no issues taking swings at the left, in essence punching down and being a bully against those who support what once was Democrat views and values now labeled by both the right and establishment Democrats as extreme. Suddenly wanting a better outcome for more people in a country with vast wealth (mostly hoarded by those at the top) is extreme and must be crushed. At best they are defenders of an ever shrinking middle class while doing nothing to reduce that decline.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score

DeSantis would be a formidable opponent. He's like Trump but smarter which makes him probably more dangerous. I don't know if Biden would be able to win against him.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
DeSantis would be a formidable opponent. He's like Trump but smarter which makes him probably more dangerous. I don't know if Biden would be able to win against him.
He’s smart... compared to Trump.

I don’t think he’s a huge threat on the national level to be honest. He only won the governor’s race in Florida by 0.4%. So he might actually lose his home state if he runs for the White House.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Make some progress?

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1546989529789353986/

Of course, here's a couple of posts at the linked (in the Tweet) article at FuckwitNews:

1657738717312.png

1657738725606.png

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Younger, more progressive Dems have their work cut out. But they can win. Patel almost beat Maloney two years ago, losing by about 4%. With Nadler and Maloney possibly splitting older voters between themselves, Patel needs to get younger, more progressive voters involved.

He'll have to overcome malaise among that cohort.

“We just need new blood,” said [Vanessa] Chen, a [35-year old] software engineer. “The Boomers are going. They don’t know how the new world works.”

But does she plan to vote in August?

“Probably,” she laughed, adding that she had not been aware of the primary date until a reporter informed her.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Younger, more progressive Dems have their work cut out. But they can win. Patel almost beat Maloney two years ago, losing by about 4%. With Nadler and Maloney possibly splitting older voters between themselves, Patel needs to get younger, more progressive voters involved.

He'll have to overcome malaise among that cohort.
We have the technology to make voting-by-phone secure. The sooner it is adopted, the better. Democracy is better when more people participate.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
We have the technology to make voting-by-phone secure. The sooner it is adopted, the better. Democracy is better when more people participate.
The GOP will never go for that. They don't want voters voting as they'll never win another election with free, fair, open elections. They're even reverting back to non-scanning ballot machines. And with the obvious legislation allowing them to discard election results, there's no telling what will happen this midterm and in 2024 if they take back the House and/or Senate.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Which is exactly why republicans are so against any such concept. The only way it would be considered an option is if ONLY republican voters were allowed to vote by phone, vote instantly counted. While the rest of America had to vote by a crippled USPS on time, after they've received their ballots 3 days before due, but need to be in 1 week before the election. As we learned with mail in voting, once a greater portion of Americans use any convenient form of voting, it somehow magically becomes susceptible to voter fraud. Borne out as mentioned by republicans in AZ by the feelings in their hearts.

Top Bottom
1 2