The Republican Agenda 2021 and Forward

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Watching as Chris Hayes covers this disturbing story...

What caught my eye was something that was found amongst the men's possessions.

View attachment 7200

What caught my attention was in another thread there's lamenting about identifying some 45 supporters as racists, when SOME proudly want everyone to know they are. Like these guys who decided against going after George Soros, and instead blowing up DNC headquarters...

WTF?!!!

This is the group crying about progressives? Who's trying to blow up shit & possibly kill, based on a lie?
Waitaminit…Scott Free—Mr. Miracle—has one of these cards?

I mean, I know the guy was raised on Apokolips, but he always struck me as more of a liberal type.

Darkseid, on the other hand, would definitely have one of these white privilege cards.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Can't these guys in the GOP come up with some reasonable alternatives to Trump lackeys if they're moving on from The Don himself?

OK I admit that in this piece about potential GOP candidates starting to make the rounds already in Iowa, the array of photos at the top triggered me. Way too soon ever to see even one of Pompeo's mug shots in a piece about future of GOP politics. The AP had to go and lay in six of them. And I was dumb enough to scroll through them. Anyway, some Iowans may be ready to move on from Trump, but one could hope they'd find a candidate more worthy of what used to be the Republican banner than Mike Pompeo or for that matter some of Trump's other erstwhile lackeys now trying to emerge from the shadow of their former boss.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I actually feel bad for conservatives. They aren't all lunatics, but even for the ones who aren't it's like a never ending parade of "Well, I guess I need to align myself with this idiot because it's all we got."

And it's not as simples as just switching teams. As an example, let's say the Democrats did something crazy like align themselves with Wall St., corporations, and the military. Of course that would neeeeever happen because they are the party of the working class, but lets say did. As crazy and unlikely as that is, are going to go join the Republican party as a result? Fuck no. There's countless reasons you wouldn't and the same can be said for Republicans towards the Democrat party.

lizkat

Reaction score
I actually feel bad for conservatives. They aren't all lunatics, but even for the ones who aren't it's like a never ending parade of "Well, I guess I need to align myself with this idiot because it's all we got."

And it's not as simples as just switching teams. As an example, let's say the Democrats did something crazy like align themselves with Wall St., corporations, and the military. Of course that would neeeeever happen because they are the party of the working class, but lets say did. As crazy and unlikely as that is, are going to go join the Republican party as a result? Fuck no. There's countless reasons you wouldn't and the same can be said for Republicans towards the Democrat party.

It's true that it's hard to switch parties. It's probably why the drift is to ditching party reggie and going out as independent, except in states where primaries are closed and "permanent" registration switching is intentionally made difficult.

It's the combination of long tradition of just two major parties, often having policy alignments at 180º, so the general attitude towards third parties is negative: "this is just not the right time" -- well it's never going to be the right time from the standpoint of the Rs or Ds, eh?-- and only now more states are starting to experiment with ranked choice voting... all that has added up to keeping just two parties jockeying for the upper hand, while industries give to both sides -- they found a way of legalizing bribery, basically-- and so it's a long time already that actual governance has been divorced from outcome of elections on big ticket issues.

It's exiciting to think that we could be on the verge of switching that up with more ranked choice voting, and as people become more disgusted with the stagnating effects of gerrymandering efforts to keep one or the other of two parties in power ad infinitum while "nothing happens" no matter who wins.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's true that it's hard to switch parties. It's probably why the drift is to ditching party reggie and going out as independent, except in states where primaries are closed and "permanent" registration switching is intentionally made difficult.

It's the combination of long tradition of just two major parties, often having policy alignments at 180º, so the general attitude towards third parties is negative: "this is just not the right time" -- well it's never going to be the right time from the standpoint of the Rs or Ds, eh?-- and only now more states are starting to experiment with ranked choice voting... all that has added up to keeping just two parties jockeying for the upper hand, while industries give to both sides -- they found a way of legalizing bribery, basically-- and so it's a long time already that actual governance has been divorced from outcome of elections on big ticket issues.

It's exiciting to think that we could be on the verge of switching that up with more ranked choice voting, and as people become more disgusted with the stagnating effects of gerrymandering efforts to keep one or the other of two parties in power ad infinitum while "nothing happens" no matter who wins.

I'd like to see a new progressive party form but more than likely if we get a viable 3rd party it will be centrists moderates. I feel like that will just usher in the era of polite obstruction and snail pace incrementalism. Of course an insatiable greed at the top will mostly likely force a far left or far right to take hold. I fully believe we'll probably have to put a 3d of their population in pine boxes before they throw up the white flag and go "OK, we get it. We got a little greedy. Take what you need."

lizkat

Reaction score
Well I think it was the prospect of hordes of homeless and starving people in the streets -- and so the spectre of "no wall high enough"-- that persuaded Republicans to go along with the level of stimulus plans that have so far been deployed in the USA versus effects of the pandemic.

Even now we are not out of the woods on housing issues. The moratorium on eviction is ending, landlords want their money, not everyone even with past unemployment assistance, a current job (and monthly checks to provide for kids in the household), can necessarily come up with back rent or mortgage payments while paying the current housing costs with utilities.

Meanwhile the housing that's being built is often not affordable, or not in the right place to house people working in lower income jobs where higher income people work or visit and expect restaurants, hotels, fast food and etc facilities to be staffed up. This puts extra stress on roads and bridges as well as public transportation facilities, on which the USA is perennially behind the curve.

And it's true that crime is rising and no one's sure what the root causes of its exacerbation are at this point. Philadephia just hit the 300 mark on homicides for this year. This is July. That's a figure that a lot of cities used to try hard to manage not to hit by year's end for god's sake. A lot of it is down to proliferation of guns. Some of it is reactive to stressors of covid-19. Vaccination efforts continue but meanwhile Rs resist Biden's efforts to improve vaccination rates, some of them getting into fear-mongering against door-to-door face to face efforts to inform people of benefits of vaccination:

South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster last week sought to prohibit door-to-door vaccination outreach in his state, while North Carolina Rep. Madison Cawthorn baselessly suggested that the canvassing would lead to the creation of a system to seize citizens’ firearms or Bibles. Tweeted Ohio Rep. Jim Jordan: “What’s next? Knocking on your door to see if you own a gun?”

That kind of stuff is not helpful. The door-knocking information provision gig is volunteer based and not some centralized operation. These guys like Cawthorn and Jordan are just opportunists looking to rouse knee-jerk reflexes via social media and keep their own names famliar in advance of the next round of elections. Their own constituents should be calling them out on this when it comes to attempts to interfere with a public health initiative.

The federal government can't micromanage big ticket items like housing or transportation or even public health campaigns, we know it's terrible at that. It can provide incentives and guidance and assistance and funds when that's what's missing.

But the Constitution does say that government's job is to provide for the general welfare of the people. It's meant to do that where it's inefficient or impossible for states to manage certain aspects of that welfare. The Republicans need to back off from their idea of shrinking government down to the point where all it does is provide a military force and diplomatic service. National security depends also on public health, which certainly includes adequate shelter and basic sustenance.

We are free to travel from state to state in the USA, but much of the population has lost economic mobility and is stuck wherever they are with whatever state laws govern their plight in terms of food, shelter and often wages as well. So it's laughable to think our mighty military, which is all volunteer, is endlessly capable in terms of its human resources to keep defending the USA abroad, when the Republican party thinks the key to everything is bootstrapping yourself from the cradle to status of an entrepreneur ready to climb high up the ladder and bitch about taxes.

So we have some problems and a lot of them are attitudinal and should not be partisan in the sense they are right now. Maybe we do need a centrist party, or at least two major parties who can get back to conducting business in civil fashion instead of ill-advisedly leading their partisans to verbal battles royal over who's a bigger piece of sh^t on Twitter or Facebook in an endless campaign of opposition to "the other side".

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

If your Conservative party breaks bad, you need to find or create something that aligns with your views, and stay away from a bunch of self destructive, nation destructive, democracy destructive, liars, cheats, and thieving fascists.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

"In Holland you can smoke weed while fucking a hooker in front of a cop". :ROFLMAO:

So many threads I could have put this in but I put it here because the right is so obsessed with FREEDOM right now. Also important to note this came out before Trump won...oh how we've evolved, no.

lizkat

Reaction score
Hope the Dems are paying attention to something besides whether the filibuster will yet come into play in the Senate... because the Rs ain't just playin' when it comes to advancing their agenda outside the realm of the FEDERAL government...

Given the size of the electoral map — there are 38 governors races on the ballot in 2021 and 2022 — top Republicans say they are looking for an avenue to raise more money.

The move comes as Christie openly ponders a 2024 presidential bid. During a May appearance on the conservative “Ruthless” podcast, Christie said that should he run, he would not defer to former President Donald Trump, who is weighing a comeback.

The RGA position is a potentially valuable one for Christie, giving him entrée to the party’s most sought-after donors as other would-be 2024 hopefuls begin to cultivate finance networks. Christie chaired the RGA following his 2013 reelection win, which preceded his unsuccessful 2016 presidential effort several years later.

The job will also keep him in the national spotlight. Christie has been a regular guest on ABC’s “This Week,” and recently announced he would be authoring a forthcoming book, “Republican Rescue: Saving the Party from Truth Deniers, Conspiracy Theorists, and the Dangerous Policies of Joe Biden.” The book is to be published in November by Threshold Editions, an imprint of Simon & Schuster.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score

lizkat

Reaction score
The Republicans are still in thrall to Trump and to the vocal contingent of their electorate that supports him, but they're starting to realize that their "agenda" (as policy-free as it still really is) needs to do an about-face on vaccination. So they've lined up a bunch of their front-facing elected officials to roll out the new pitch that goes like "it's a free country yeah so we're against vax passports and other coercions but it's responsible to get vaccinated..."

And then there's the entertaining Sean Hannity, trying to make Fox's late hit on supporting vaccination sound otherwise:

Just like we’ve been saying, please take COVID seriously. Enough people have died. We don’t need any more deaths. Research like crazy. Talk to your doctor,” Fox News’s Sean Hannity said last night. “It absolutely makes sense for many Americans to get vaccinated.”

Hannity’s “just like we’ve been saying” is doing a lot of work. He reportedly called the pandemic a “hoax” early on, and his colleague Tucker Carlson continues to cast doubt on vaccines, including on yesterday’s program. But Hannity is not alone now. His statement comes as several other major conservatives are speaking up too.

Anyway it probably boils down to the fact that if covid variants continue to catch on with more contagious effect, even Republicans realize their voters' anti-vax bias could end up with the Rs being blamed for any necessary shutdowns of parts of the economy as we go forward towards midterm elections...

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
The Republicans are still in thrall to Trump and to the vocal contingent of their electorate that supports him, but they're starting to realize that their "agenda" (as policy-free as it still really is) needs to do an about-face on vaccination. So they've lined up a bunch of their front-facing elected officials to roll out the new pitch that goes like "it's a free country yeah so we're against vax passports and other coercions but it's responsible to get vaccinated..."

And then there's the entertaining Sean Hannity, trying to make Fox's late hit on supporting vaccination sound otherwise:

Anyway it probably boils down to the fact that if covid variants continue to catch on with more contagious effect, even Republicans realize their voters' anti-vax bias could end up with the Rs being blamed for any necessary shutdowns of parts of the economy as we go forward towards midterm elections...
It’s also hard to win elections when all your usual voters are dead.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

The cynical view here is that the only reason they are doing this is so they can get some soundbites to counter the left advertising that nearly the entire right is telling people to not get vaccinated as things get worse. They can dig up that soundbite and go "No we didn't!". Pretty close before and after that soundbite they're still sowing distrust and hesitancy about getting vaccinated.

They're playing both sides and if nothing else has been proven over the last 5 years it's that their voters are pretty immune to blatant contrary facts that don't fit their narrative. You could have a representative on camera saying "You should get vaccinated. But I sure as hell wouldn't" and in hindsight they'll only give credit to the half that fits their narrative outcome and completely ignore the half that contradicts it.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Last edited:

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I might be becoming a bigot of white male politicians of the conservative bent, they are starting to look alike to me. The man visually strikes like an idiot, I expect to see a confederate flag, camo, and an AK mounted over his fireplace. He’s got the same angry, I’m a wannabe Nazi face as Matt Gaetz. :oops:
There's a bit of a similar type who are running these days. It isn't just white haired cynical old White businessmen running anymore. No we have younger zealots who believe they've been wronged by women, LGBTQ, and PoC who dare to demand to be treated they way they have been all this time.

lizkat

Reaction score
There's a bit of a similar type who are running these days. It isn't just white haired cynical old White businessmen running anymore. No we have younger zealots who believe they've been wronged by women, LGBTQ, and PoC who dare to demand to be treated they way they have been all this time.

And let's not forget that J.D. Vance has a book out that he wants to keep making royalties on.

But another thing to remember is he does have some connections to Republican power structures... his wife is a lawyer who has clerked for both Kavanaugh (before he came to the high court) and for Chief Justice John Roberts.

Vance has also gotten support from conservative high dollar donor Robert Mercer. Mercer has a lot of claims to fame including his knowledge of AI, his skills at poker and his former stewardship of hedge fund Renaissance Technologies, but he's best known in political circles as having deep pockets for right wing causes and associated media operations.

In short J.D. Vance probably already looks like he'd make a great pawn in the Senate for ultra right movers and shakers in the USA. Anyway his name-dropping value as far as connections go certainl appear to leave those of the likes of Matt Gaetz in the dust. What might do him in though is sticking to Donald Trump after initially not thinking much of The Don...

Top Bottom
1 2