The Republican Agenda 2021 and Forward

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Talking about what the GOP can do for the country is like promoting why we’d want the Mafia in charge.

Yeah the Rs don't talk about any specifics or sometimes even at all about what they're going to do. They're pitching CRIME and THEM. All negative and a lot of projection. Some of the ads I've seen don't even mention the name of a Republican candidate. They're trying to spread out their thinning funds by using generic fear mongering against the very idea of voting for any Democrats.

I got bored after only a couple days of repetitive GOP ads during my one-month re-up of YTTV for the baseball postseason... had to laugh though at the succession of political ads on a regional news station. First a scary CRIME/THEM ad for the generic Rs, and the next ad after that was by a specific Democrat running for Congress who grew up in the area and was talking about how friendly people are and the work ethic still so strong and how he will bring new jobs to the area to take advantage of a well educated and skilled workforce.​

The problem is, polarization of potential voters is so strong now that there's not much "indie" swing left on the issues, as far as I can tell. I only qualify it that way because pollsters admit they may not have it right yet again this year, especially throwing in the "new oddities" of redistricting and state-level legislative changes that may favor ability of Republicans to delay or overturn results they don't like.

So it may all come down to relative strength of vote turnout. Remains to be seen which party's voters are more galvanized or made complacent by the overturn of Roe v Wade, and whether "the economy, stupid" gets interpreted as good or bad --despite or because of the facts, in an allegedly now post-factual era.

Imagine being a pollster when more than half the country lets all phone calls go to vmail anyway.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/11/politics/tulsi-gabbard-leaves-democratic-party/index.html

What a tool. Nobody has the support of half the country. That bullshit line needs to stop. Most of the country doesn’t vote and out of those who do probably about 2/3rds are completely tuned out and just blindly issue party line votes or reflexively flip sides when they aren't happy with the current reality.

Last time Gabbard was actually a true-blue Democrat was when she stepped down from a honcho post in the DNC after (accurately) complaining about the 2016 national committee's premature and palpable pre-primary lean to Clinton.

After that it was pretty much all downhill with Tulsi Gabbard as far as mainstream politics go. She soon became very hard to figure out even among the Hawaiian voters in her House district.

If she now wants to be "indie" and expects a Dem following, she's not gonna get there hanging out with right-leaning conservatives. Dems who lean conservative still tend to be blue dogs inside the Democratic Party. It's the progressives are getting harder to hold there.

As far as policy goes, she sounds like a Trump Republican. After all, George Bush the son had hoped to pass practical immigration reform that is a lot like what today's Democrats want, including a lot of blue dogs in agricultural states. It's nothing like "open borders" at all, so Gabbard is just spouting R talking points.

Bottom line her "leaving the Democratic Party" is weak tea for social media boost to her podcast...

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

Outstanding video, although I disagree with one phrase, “Russians are mocking Republicans”. Instead I’d describe it as Russians manipulating, appealing to gullible STUPID (quite a lot of those around) in an attempt to turn them, reinforce their anti-US prejudices, make them feel like patriots instead of self serving, win at all costs, drive a stake into the heart of US democracy, poor lost souls.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Outstanding video, although I disagree with one phrase, “Russians are mocking Republicans”. Instead I’d describe it as Russians manipulating, appealing to gullible STUPID (quite a lot of those around) in an attempt to turn them, reinforce their anti-US prejudices, make them feel like patriots instead of self serving, win at all costs, drive a stake into the heart of US democracy, poor lost souls.

I do think Russian elites think a lot of right-wing voters are useful idiots, as seems to be the case many times. As the video points out many of them are so hopped up on anti-left conspiracy theories that they think people who want a better and more equitable outcome for most Americans are a bigger enemy than a country whose biggest aspiration is to destroy the US. At this point it's just self-perpetuating. Just be against whatever the left is for. No explanation or minimal thought needed.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
The best explanation I’ve heard of the freedom of religion and separation of church and state so far is you have the right to take on the burden of your religious beliefs. You and the state don’t have the right to put that burden on others. This is the intended purpose. The Christian right and Supreme Court are on an anti-American religious crusade that will not end well for them as their numbers dwindle as a result.

mac_in_tosh

Site Champ
Reaction score
Yeah the Rs don't talk about any specifics or sometimes even at all about what they're going to do. They're pitching CRIME and THEM.
But Republicans fare no better at controlling crime. From Do Republican or Democratic states have more crime?:

These are the top 10 most crime ridden states based on murders per 100,000 residents:
  1. Mississippi
  2. Louisiana
  3. Kentucky
  4. Alabama
  5. Missouri
  6. South Carolina
  7. New Mexico
  8. Georgia
  9. Arkansas
  10. Tennessee
Only No. 7 New Mexico and No. 8 Georgia voted for Biden. The remaining eight states are solidly Republican and voted for Trump.

Of states voting Democratic, New York, California, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Illinois are on par with the national crime average. Mississippi’s murder rate is four times that of New York and 2.5 times California. The five states with the highest murder rates are all Republican and Trump-voting states.

It turns out that crime is out of control, but the narrative is dead wrong. Based on the real numbers, Republican states that voted for Trump are where crime is out of control.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
But Republicans fare no better at controlling crime. From Do Republican or Democratic states have more crime?:

These are the top 10 most crime ridden states based on murders per 100,000 residents:
  1. Mississippi
  2. Louisiana
  3. Kentucky
  4. Alabama
  5. Missouri
  6. South Carolina
  7. New Mexico
  8. Georgia
  9. Arkansas
  10. Tennessee
Only No. 7 New Mexico and No. 8 Georgia voted for Biden. The remaining eight states are solidly Republican and voted for Trump.

Of states voting Democratic, New York, California, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Illinois are on par with the national crime average. Mississippi’s murder rate is four times that of New York and 2.5 times California. The five states with the highest murder rates are all Republican and Trump-voting states.

It turns out that crime is out of control, but the narrative is dead wrong. Based on the real numbers, Republican states that voted for Trump are where crime is out of control.

They just attempt to gerrymander reality into the United States of Chicago.

mac_in_tosh

Site Champ
Reaction score
Democrats in large part seem to still stick with "when they go low we go high" but I don't think it's the best strategy in the current environment. If Republicans are trying to use crime to scare people to vote for them, Democrats should come out forcefully with ads that show Republicans are not better, in fact worse, at controlling crime. Have they done so?

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Democrats in large part seem to still stick with "when they go low we go high" but I don't think it's the best strategy in the current environment. If Republicans are trying to use crime to scare people to vote for them, Democrats should come out forcefully with ads that show Republicans are not better, in fact worse, at controlling crime. Have they done so?
hell and commiting it and electing those who do.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
The best explanation I’ve heard of the freedom of religion and separation of church and state so far is you have the right to take on the burden of your religious beliefs. You and the state don’t have the right to put that burden on others. This is the intended purpose. The Christian right and Supreme Court are on an anti-American religious crusade that will not end well for them as their numbers dwindle as a result.
Exactly, freedom of religion includes freedom from religion, and definitely not a Christian Theocracy.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

1. Mississippi
  2. Louisiana
  3. Kentucky
  4. Alabama
  5. Missouri
  6. South Carolina
  7. New Mexico
  8. Georgia
  9. Arkansas
  10. Tennessee

The GOP base makes it easy when they can’t add 2+2. Duh, whatever you say boss, I’m mad as hell! He said I should be angry, and damn it, I am! :unsure:

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2