The Trump Indictment Thread

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
There's a vast difference between me not being up to come up with half a billion dollars, and a multi-billionaire not being up to come up with half a billion dollars. I have no sympathy. Sell something. If you can't get a good price, tough shit. You should have started working on that immediately, not towards the end. I'd LOVE to see the government seize some assets. I don't see it happening, but that would be fantastic. It's what they'd do to me (or worse).

He's a BINO.

Or a BOPO - Billionaire on paper only.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
More good news:

WaPo: " Donald Trump has been unable to finance an appeal bond for at least $450 million to cover a judgment in the New York attorney general’s business fraud case against him and is seeking a reprieve from an appellate court to keep the state from seizing assets, according to a court filing Monday."

ya so far no one has felt sorry for him. poor trump time for a gofundme.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
" Donald Trump has been unable to finance an appeal bond for at least $450 million to cover a judgment in the New York
ya so far no one has felt sorry for him. poor trump time for a gofundme.
speak of the devil

Here is how you promote a cause:

Stand with Trump; Fund the $355M Unjust Judgment
78329481_1708118272902334_r.jpeg

They are currently at $1.36M of their $355M goal (no, I choose not to link to it). But, why would you want to "fund the unjust judgement" (especially with those two sad-sacks getting your money)? Does no one understand how language works?

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
speak of the devil

Here is how you promote a cause:

Stand with Trump; Fund the $355M Unjust Judgment
78329481_1708118272902334_r.jpeg

They are currently at $1.36M of their $355M goal (no, I choose not to link to it). But, why would you want to "fund the unjust judgement" (especially with those two sad-sacks getting your money)? Does no one understand how language works?
ya its not going to do jack and how much you wanna bet she bails with the money? like this random woman is going to just hand over that money to trump. can she even legally do that?

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
ya its not going to do jack and how much you wanna bet she bails with the money? like this random woman is going to just hand over that money to trump. can she even legally do that?

Since it’s a GoFundMe or whatever, the money will have to go to the legal expenses or campaign. If it doesn’t, her hero will be the first one in line to sue her!

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
He’d need to pay taxes on it

Speaking of taxes, and looking ahead a year or so... Let's say trump's assets are eventually seized to satisfy the judgement against him.

As those assets, say buildings/property, were purchased decades ago, I'm guessing trump would be subject to paying a large capital gains tax on the gain - even though he doesn't actually end up with any proceeds from the seizure and sale? Seems like he should be liable for the tax on that gain.

If so, that's likely another boatload of money he'll need to come up with. Kinda funny.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
“As far as the Court can infer, sureties may have refused to accept defendants’ specific holdings as collateral because using Mr. Trump’s real estate will generally need “a property appraisal’ … and his holdings are not nearly as valuable as defendants claim.”

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
1710954809303.png

I also enjoy the dig at Alan Garten. I’ve mentioned it before, but he’s the son of Jay Garten, who was a vice president at the small Manhattan electrical contractor where my father was also a vice president (I used to work there every summer). My dad never really got along with this guy’s dad. Anyway, small world.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
“As far as the Court can infer, sureties may have refused to accept defendants’ specific holdings as collateral because using Mr. Trump’s real estate will generally need “a property appraisal’ … and his holdings are not nearly as valuable as defendants claim.”

It's kind of funny he wants to use property as collateral when the entire reason he was fined so much is lying about property values.

I'm sure this will never happen, but if he can't pony up the money couldn't they throw him in jail?

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen

This editorial suggests that that might not be exactly the situation

In an unregulated insurance market, Trump would have been able to come up with a surety bond with ease because his net worth far exceeds the size of the bond he needs. Some enterprising business would have asked him to put up some of his real estate holdings — say, $1 billion worth — as collateral. For good measure, it would have charged him a high premium on the bond.

But the state insurance departments that regulate surety bond companies don't allow that kind of business. It would be highly risky for insurers to accept real estate as collateral because its value is unpredictable and it's hard to sell on short notice. Regulators don't allow insurance companies to charge high premiums for taking on that kind of risk; they want insurers to charge low premiums for low risk.

He cannot use his properties as collateral – he has to sell them first.

Of course, his Trvth.soc site is worth $10B. Way more that enough. But could he actually get $50M out of it?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
This editorial suggests that that might not be exactly the situation

In an unregulated insurance market, Trump would have been able to come up with a surety bond with ease because his net worth far exceeds the size of the bond he needs. Some enterprising business would have asked him to put up some of his real estate holdings — say, $1 billion worth — as collateral. For good measure, it would have charged him a high premium on the bond.
But the state insurance departments that regulate surety bond companies don't allow that kind of business. It would be highly risky for insurers to accept real estate as collateral because its value is unpredictable and it's hard to sell on short notice. Regulators don't allow insurance companies to charge high premiums for taking on that kind of risk; they want insurers to charge low premiums for low risk.
As pointed out in the AG’s motion, though, in response to essentially this argument made by Trump’s expert, there are many examples of very high bonds being secured with real estate

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Saw an interview on CNN where they were questioning how much debt he currently has against said properties, and how many other stakeholders there are. There seems to be a bit of speculation that his only way out will be to file bankruptcy, then blame it all on Democrats, you know, witch hunts and all.

Top Bottom
1 2