Thread: iPhone 15 / Apple Watch 9 Event

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score
Depending on how much the ray tracing was bogging down the scores a 4x uplift could in theory turn into 1.5x for a scene - Amdahl’s law. Having said that if it’s a ray tracing heavy scene which given the name and purpose of the benchmark I would presume it is then yes it seems a little odd. Again the only thing I can think of is offscreen vs onscreen, but otherwise 🤷‍♂️
Onscreen limiting it makes sense.

leman

Site Champ
Reaction score
Regarding raytracing: this is difficult to quantify properly simply because we lack good testing tools. Solar Bay only uses raytracing for some effects, from what I understand it is still very much a rasterisation-dominated test. Ideally we'd need some benchmark that is really heavy on RT to evaluate how well this hardware performs in practice.

Altaic

Power User
Reaction score
I think Solar Bay would have to go up to 8x-16x with their ray tracing engine to properly sample A17 ray tracing. It only goes to 3x currently; regardless, the rest of the pipeline is bad; not sure if that’s Apple or UL.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Regarding raytracing: this is difficult to quantify properly simply because we lack good testing tools. Solar Bay only uses raytracing for some effects, from what I understand it is still very much a rasterisation-dominated test. Ideally we'd need some benchmark that is really heavy on RT to evaluate how well this hardware performs in practice.

I think Solar Bay would have to go up to 8x-16x with their ray tracing engine to properly sample A17 ray tracing. It only goes to 3x currently; regardless, the rest of the pipeline is bad; not sure if that’s Apple or UL.
So it’s just Amdahl’s law effectively.

somerandomusername

Power User
Reaction score
Apple released a new iPhone with Titanium. It is Grade 5 Titanium. Grade 5 is stronger and more durable. Grade 5 is more expensive. Apple used solid state diffusion to create a single structure from two different metals, aluminum and titanium. Solid state diffusion is more expensive than traditional processes.

Samsung released a new phone with “titanium.” It is Grade 2 Titanium. Grade 2 is weaker and less durable than Grade 5. Grade 2 is way less expensive than Grade 5. Samsung used plastic framing alongside some aluminum framing with clips to hook onto the titanium metal side. Attaching multiple structures together via clips is less expensive than Solid State Diffusion and is weaker.

Apple sells their 256 GB base model Pro Max For $1199, $100 cheaper than Samsung.

Samsung sells their 256 GB base model Ultra for $1299, $100 more expensive than Apple.

Guess which one got the ire and outrage from the internet, and which one got a pass.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
It’ll be great if before the next set of redesigns if Apple can scale the titanium process to fit the needs of the Mac laptops. Shaving off what was it estimated, 15%?, of the body weight while overall maintaining the Mac-metal look and feel would be very nice.

Naturally there are difficulties and expenses with the new process and a Mac laptop requires much more material than a phone so it may not happen (soon). When and if the iPad gets it will be a good indicator that Apple is ready to expand it.

Edit:
Apple released a new iPhone with Titanium. It is Grade 5 Titanium. Grade 5 is stronger and more durable. Grade 5 is more expensive. Apple used solid state diffusion to create a single structure from two different metals, aluminum and titanium. Solid state diffusion is more expensive than traditional processes.

Samsung released a new phone with “titanium.” It is Grade 2 Titanium. Grade 2 is weaker and less durable than Grade 5. Grade 2 is way less expensive than Grade 5. Samsung used plastic framing alongside some aluminum framing with clips to hook onto the titanium metal side. Attaching multiple structures together via clips is less expensive than Solid State Diffusion and is weaker.

Apple sells their 256 GB base model Pro Max For $1199, $100 cheaper than Samsung.

Samsung sells their 256 GB base model Ultra for $1299, $100 more expensive than Apple.

Guess which one got the ire and outrage from the internet, and which one got a pass.

If I remember right, a lot of the angry grumbling was from people incorrectly attributing the iPhone 15’s initial overheating issues to the new titanium body. Once it became apparent that the issue was largely fixed with driver updates, the heated arguments dissipated. You could say their ire cooled. 🙃 I have more …

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2