Thread: iPhone 15 / Apple Watch 9 Event

exoticspice1

Site Champ
Reaction score
Base/regular iPhones 15 will have just USB 2.0 ports due to not having a USB 3.0 or greater controller because of A16.

I expect USB 3.0 or greater on Pro models.
What are your predictions?

Can be about anything regarding iPhone 15.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
The other place had the suggestion that we might see Thunderbolt on the Pro models, showing alleged parts with TB retimers. As the iPad has a similar split of USB2 and TB, I wouldn’t be surprised. I’ll just be glad I it’s one less thing I need a one-off cable for to be honest.

I also wouldn’t mind the action button being a real thing so long as it is configurable.

Although really, I’m just trying to hold on upgrading until the iPhone is on USB-C.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I'm still on the 13 pro max and have been looking forward to this upgrade, seems more noticeable every 2 years.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Long back story that I am skipping, but I had to upgrade to the iPhone 14 Pro Max a day before my honeymoon because I dropped and shattered the back of my iPhone 13 Pro Max. I was impressed and I noticed a difference with my untrained eye on the photos taken for the short 7 days I had the 14 model, that is now probably in some trash heap in Nice France.

I am looking forward to the next leap in the camera on the iPhone 15 Pro, that hopefully I will be able to retain longer. If I am not impressed with the specs, I can see holding out on my newly repaired iPhone 13.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Long back story that I am skipping, but I had to upgrade to the iPhone 14 Pro Max a day before my honeymoon because I dropped and shattered the back of my iPhone 13 Pro Max. I was impressed and I noticed a difference with my untrained eye on the photos taken for the short 7 days I had the 14 model, that is now probably in some trash heap in Nice France.

I am looking forward to the next leap in the camera on the iPhone 15 Pro, that hopefully I will be able to retain longer. If I am not impressed with the specs, I can see holding out on my newly repaired iPhone 13.
My buddy got the 14 Pro Max and asked me to snap some photos with it and I could see a very clear difference both in screen brightness/pop and details in the photos, it was a pretty big upgrade. The main reason I didn't pull the trigger then was because I don't really use my iPhone for photography, it will still be nice to have (with any additional upgrades) on the 15 Pro Max though.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
My buddy got the 14 Pro Max and asked me to snap some photos with it and I could see a very clear difference both in screen brightness/pop and details in the photos, it was a pretty big upgrade. The main reason I didn't pull the trigger then was because I don't really use my iPhone for photography, it will still be nice to have (with any additional upgrades) on the 15 Pro Max though.

I've had my 14 Pro Max since release, coming from a 12 something (I forget). That felt like a huge upgrade camera wise. And works for 85% of my photography.

Fortunately, with the pandemic, I haven't been up to SF that much where having the extra 15% is needed for close-up impromptu street portraits where I want really nice (ie genuine) out of focus backgrounds that I get with my 35mm f/1.4 lens on a full-frame body.

Still... I'm curious to see what the iPhone 15 PM offers. Since I've only had my 14 PM for a year, I'm guessing I'll probably wait for the 16 and see what that's about.

Also wanting to see what Sony comes out with in small body full-frame "mirrorless" cams.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think most of us can agree that iPhone upgrades have become more about upgrading your camera than upgrading your phone and I'm not saying because that's generally what they make the most improvements on. I'm saying the big question has changed from "Do I need a new phone?" to "Do I need a new camera?".

Unless you are ultra geeky and into specs I don't really see why any of the other improvements matter as much unless you have a really old model. I know there are people who are really into screen quality but, man, on a screen that small is it really that important?

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
That’s interesting. Not to get off-topic, but do you have any info/rumors/links as to what might be on the horizon?

I don't. There was a discussion about cameras here a year or two ago. And one of the participants (it may have been @Cmaier) thought Sony might soon be releasing a new small FF cam - or maybe it was a follow on to the RX100 (not FF) - don't remember.

At the time I wasn't in the market for another "regular" camera, but today I *could* consider one.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I'm probably going to upgrade from my 12 Pro to a 15 Pro or Pro Max, depending on cost. My main motivation is to give my current phone to a family member who's still on an 8 Plus, which won't support iOS 17 and has been kind of flaky of late. Of all the reported changes, the improved camera system interests me the most. With each iteration, the iPhone's capabilities for photography and videography have gotten just a little bit closer to what I need for most ad hoc shooting.

Faster data transfer with USB-C also would be helpful. Over at the other place, the self-appointed cognoscenti are saying that very few people use a wired connection these days. Perhaps, but I rely on it for backups and transferring photos and videos to my Mac. Also, the car I drive only supports wired CarPlay.

Joelist

Power User
Reaction score
You won‘t see an iPhone with USB 2.0; it will just keep Lightning in that case. The Pros are more likely to use either USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt. As to other changes, Apple used to maintain a “tick-tock” cadence where every other release was a major one. But I have lost track of where that would sit right now.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
You won‘t see an iPhone with USB 2.0; it will just keep Lightning in that case. The Pros are more likely to use either USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt. As to other changes, Apple used to maintain a “tick-tock” cadence where every other release was a major one. But I have lost track of where that would sit right now.
Not unless Apple makes separate iPhones for sale in the EU, where USB-C will be required for charging by the end of 2024. Everything I've read suggests that all models of the iPhone 15 will have a USB-C port.

Apple used to denote lesser updates with an "S" suffix, but they dropped that years ago. Now, whether a release qualifies as minor is left up to the press and the user community. The consensus so far is that the iPhone 15 will be an S equivalent, though.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not unless Apple makes separate iPhones for sale in the EU, where USB-C will be required for charging by the end of 2024. Everything I've read suggests that all models of the iPhone 15 will have a USB-C port.

Apple used to denote lesser updates with an "S" suffix, but they dropped that years ago. Now, whether a release qualifies as minor is left up to the press and the user community. The consensus so far is that the iPhone 15 will be an S equivalent, though.
Pro sure won’t be. Titanium. USB-c. Massive camera improvement. Action button.

The s updates were always the best updates - most of the technology changes came in s updates. People thought they were “minor” because form factor changes were usually non-s. “It looks the same so it is a minor change!”

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Triple stacked sensor. Periscope lens (6x optical zoom, probably). 48MP. Bigger sensor.

So much better sensitivity, much better resolution, and more depth-of-field flexibility without losing resolution.
This is what it will take to actually improve their cameras reach, it seems like they've made huge leaps and bounds with software and sensors but without actual optical reach there's only so much you can do.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
This is what it will take to actually improve their cameras reach, it seems like they've made huge leaps and bounds with software and sensors but without actual optical reach there's only so much you can do.
Agreed. A bigger sensor with a better light sensing architecture will get you a lot more than all the software tricks in the world. Rumor is next year they add super zoom, and maybe an even bigger sensor.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Pro sure won’t be. Titanium. USB-c. Massive camera improvement. Action button.

The s updates were always the best updates - most of the technology changes came in s updates. People thought they were “minor” because form factor changes were usually non-s. “It looks the same so it is a minor change!”
This will be a minor update if you go by comments at the other place, where appearance >> function. But I agree that the 15 Pro Max will bring some great improvements. Although I'll be getting it mostly because I'm giving my 12 Pro away, I'm excited about the improved camera and USB-C.

I haven't had a larger iPhone since the 6 Plus. I was a bit wary of the size change until I compared the dimensions of the 15 Pro Max to my current phone — it's only about 0.5 inches taller and 0.2 inches wider. I made a cutout of the 15 Pro Max to gauge how it feels in my hand and fits in my shirt pockets, where I usually carry my phone, and concluded it'll be fine.

Top Bottom
1 2