Top tips thread

U

User.191

I created one of these on our Slack instance it it very quickly devolved into silliness - and by quickly, I actually mean it was from the very first post I made. 😂

So, in the spirit of that, my first Top Tip...

Never eat a hot Chili con Carne (the sort the opens all the airways and makes you tear up), then take a shot of Bourbon.

Holy cow!

1625011606579.gif

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Never eat a hot Chili con Carne (the sort the opens all the airways and makes you tear up), then take a shot of Bourbon.

Holy cow!

Well, for me, this is basically like saying, YOU SHOULD DO THIS NOW :D

Checks all the right boxes:

- Love chili
- Love bourbon
- Glutton for punishment

U

User.191

All this talk makes me wanna throw a batch of skyline chili together.

But send me a sipping tequila, not bourbon.
Wha...Wha...Wha...? Wait - how do you know about Skyline? Where are you geographically 'cause outside of Kenhicky, Ohio, Indiana or Floooreeda, not sure where else you can get that!

B S Magnet

Site Champ
Reaction score
Wha...Wha...Wha...? Wait - how do you know about Skyline? Where are you geographically 'cause outside of Kenhicky, Ohio, Indiana or Floooreeda, not sure where else you can get that!

On the internet (a thing where computers can connect), there are whole recipes out there. :)

I am cosy with a whole mess of foods, having lived in a bunch of regions in my day. I rely mostly on recipes and my memory these days, because where I am, most of the foods I’ve known in all those places can’t really be found in earnest around here.

That said, my cajun turkey has a reputation with friends locally who attest it’s one of the best, juiciest, most lively turkeys they’ve ever tried.

U

User.191

On the internet (a thing where computers can connect), there are whole recipes out there. :)

I am cosy with a whole mess of foods, having lived in a bunch of regions in my day. I rely mostly on recipes and my memory these days, because where I am, most of the foods I’ve known in all those places can’t really be found in earnest around here.

That said, my cajun turkey has a reputation with friends locally who attest it’s one of the best, juiciest, most lively turkeys they’ve ever tried.
There's "Cincinnati Chili" (I lump Goldstar into that group personally) and then there's Skyline and the two are never the same.

Bit like there's "Yeast Extract/Vegimite etc.) and then there's British Marmite. Just no comparison really.

B S Magnet

Site Champ
Reaction score
There's "Cincinnati Chili" (I lump Goldstar into that group personally) and then there's Skyline and the two are never the same.

Bit like there's "Yeast Extract/Vegimite etc.) and then there's British Marmite. Just no comparison really.

Here’s one of the recipes I rely on as a general guide.

Meanwhile, feast your eyes on homemade key lime (cheesecake) and key lime (iBook with an XGA LCD).

Attachments

• 1625067408818.png
    1625067408818.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 52
  • 1625067716758.png
    1625067716758.png
    1 MB · Views: 56

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Meanwhile, feast your eyes on homemade key lime (cheesecake)...

Perhaps it's too early in the morning. I want to say "You had me at cheesecake!". But that's the last thing you said (about this marvelous dessert), so I'm not sure the "you had me" thing plays well here. Then I look at the picture again and my brain says "yum, you had me at cheesecake!". So I'm just going to go with it for now until my brain is more awake. Regardless, it looks amazing. :love:

B S Magnet

Site Champ
Reaction score
Perhaps it's too early in the morning. I want to say "You had me at cheesecake!". But that's the last thing you said (about this marvelous dessert), so I'm not sure the "you had me" thing plays well here. Then I look at the picture again and my brain says "yum, you had me at cheesecake!". So I'm just going to go with it for now until my brain is more awake. Regardless, it looks amazing. :love:

It was wonderful.

I bake a key lime cheesecake about once a decade, given the high labour involved. That one was from a couple of years ago, so the next one won’t be happening before late this decade.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
It was wonderful.

I bake a key lime cheesecake about once a decade, given the high labour involved. That one was from a couple of years ago, so the next one won’t be happening before late this decade.

And what do you do the rest of the decade? I'm presuming there are other baked goods during that stretch?

Since I've been staying at home a lot this past year, I somehow got into baking shows/contests. I'm watching Nailed It! now and I just keep thinking "oh come on, it can't be THAT hard". So just out of curiosity, I'm thinking of trying to make a cake from scratch at some point. Of course no one in this house bakes, so first up will be picking up some supplies like cake pans and such.

Top Tip: Always find something, no matter how lame, to keep the conversation On Topic.

B S Magnet

Site Champ
Reaction score
And what do you do the rest of the decade? I'm presuming there are other baked goods during that stretch?

Anything but key lime cheesecake. Usually just dollar store box cake, since that’s often the extent of my budget.

Since I've been staying at home a lot this past year, I somehow got into baking shows/contests. I'm watching Nailed It! now and I just keep thinking "oh come on, it can't be THAT hard". So just out of curiosity, I'm thinking of trying to make a cake from scratch at some point. Of course no one in this house bakes, so first up will be picking up some supplies like cake pans and such.

There’s a lot of work involved in baking. Also, unlike the science of cooking, baking is a dark art.

I spent much of last year making bread from scratch, and it was rare to ever repeat a desired result.

Top Tip: Always find something, no matter how lame, to keep the conversation On Topic.

Everybody eats.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
There’s a lot of work involved in baking. Also, unlike the science of cooking, baking is a dark art.

I spent much of last year making bread from scratch, and it was rare to ever repeat a desired result.

That's just more tempting. I think I've done 1 box cake in my life. It was a disaster. So a first attempt at a real cake, from scratch, sounds like a fun challenge. If it comes out well, I'll blow people's minds. If it doesn't come out well, hey, it's my first try and we'll have a fun laugh. Either way, I can't lose! Other than not getting a selfie with Nicole and Jacques of course.

Top Tip: If you've spent the past year at home and are just returning to the world, remember, it's socks then shoes.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
What about sandals? Socks then sandals? Sandals then socks? Sandals no socks? Socks no sandals? No socks no sandals?

I'm the dork wearing Levi's when it's 115 out. Do I really need to answer a question about... sandals? :ROFLMAO:

Top Tip: If you're a redhead, cover every inch of skin you can when that bastard in the sky shows his face.
Bonus Tip: Don't be a dork like me! Dress for the weather! Even if that means sandals.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score

That photo hits WAY too close to home. The big one is 8-10 months old maybe and the small one is still a puppy. I've lost track of how many times I've taken a shoe from her this week. And right in the middle of typing that, I heard from another room "DON'T... CHEW... MY... SHOE..."

This is from April 30th, so she's a bit bigger now. For the animal people, the big one is a Pit Bull and the baby is a 1/4 Pit and 3/4 Lab.

Top Tip: Don't wait till you finish potty training to decide your new puppy needs a playmate.

Attachments

• IMG_6001.jpeg
    IMG_6001.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 45
Top Bottom
1 2