Top tips thread

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
On the internet (a thing where computers can connect), there are whole recipes out there. :)

I am cosy with a whole mess of foods, having lived in a bunch of regions in my day. I rely mostly on recipes and my memory these days, because where I am, most of the foods I’ve known in all those places can’t really be found in earnest around here.

That said, my cajun turkey has a reputation with friends locally who attest it’s one of the best, juiciest, most lively turkeys they’ve ever tried.
If you make it yourself, you miss out on the soggy overcooked noodles they give you at Goldstar or Skyline... but the Chili is good enough that you overlook it.

B S Magnet

Site Champ
Reaction score
If you make it yourself, you miss out on the soggy overcooked noodles they give you at Goldstar or Skyline... but the Chili is good enough that you overlook it.

Ah, but see it’s easy to overboil the pasta to make it al pastoso (mushy).

Anyway, here’s a 5-way:

Attachments

• 1625081065304.png
    1625081065304.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 38

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
There's "Cincinnati Chili" (I lump Goldstar into that group personally) and then there's Skyline and the two are never the same.

Bit like there's "Yeast Extract/Vegimite etc.) and then there's British Marmite. Just no comparison really.
One of my favorite restaurants back in Ohio was the Spaghetti Warehouse. The first couple of times I served Cinci Chili down here, my guests were appalled. Then they decided that was the only chili they wanted to ever eat again.
I'm the dork wearing Levi's when it's 115 out. Do I really need to answer a question about... sandals? :ROFLMAO:
My gods, you sound like my husband. Overalls. All. Year. Round.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
My gods, you sound like my husband. Overalls. All. Year. Round.

That would not be a good look on me. I've not trimmed my beard since about last June. I've not had a hair cut since last March. It's not worth the risk of a barber to impress all the people downstairs in the living room. If I put on overalls at this point, the only thing missing to complete the outfit would be a red hat and a cheap beer in my hand. Then I could be a spy behind enemy lines. Or go back to Ohio to visit relatives. Same difference more or less.😁

D

Deleted member 199

Hahaha. They’re usually coming from a place where they expect turkeys to be extremely dry and not very flavourful.
Nothing wetter or tastier than a turkey running around the room pissing itself in fear lol.

Sorry. Ignore me. I'll just be giggling away to myself IRL about that mental image for a while.

U

User.191

Nothing wetter or tastier than a turkey running around the room pissing itself in fear lol.

Sorry. Ignore me. I'll just be giggling away to myself IRL about that mental image for a while.
No conversation about Turkey's is complete with a reference to the Classic WKRP In Cincinnati episode....

B S Magnet

Site Champ
Reaction score
Ah, but see it’s easy to overboil the pasta to make it al pastoso (mushy).

Anyway, here’s a 5-way:

Because this day has been rainy and mild, but very rainy, it seemed a good time to throw together a vat of skyline chili with 2kgs of ground beef I had in the freezer. For fun, I’m adulterating it by using some frozen turkey broth in lieu of water, mostly to make more room in the freezer for things like ice cream bars and ice cubes.

I’ll be sure to overboil my pasta later for that authentic aesthetic.

B S Magnet

Site Champ
Reaction score
Because this day has been rainy and mild, but very rainy, it seemed a good time to throw together a vat of skyline chili with 2kgs of ground beef I had in the freezer. For fun, I’m adulterating it by using some frozen turkey broth in lieu of water, mostly to make more room in the freezer for things like ice cream bars and ice cubes.

I’ll be sure to overboil my pasta later for that authentic aesthetic.

Update: the vat is cooling down, but after I add in the vinegar and cocoa, I like to sample it with a small mixing bowl.

As it usually is, this is a good batch. 🍲

I wanted to use my requisite amount of garlic. In this instance, it would have been two bulbs, but I only had one (which is still slightly more than the recipes I rely on call for). I’ll let it cool for a bit in the fridge before heating up a small batch to make a 4-way (onion/cheese) later. 🍝

U

User.191

Update: the vat is cooling down, but after I add in the vinegar and cocoa, I like to sample it with a small mixing bowl.

As it usually is, this is a good batch. 🍲

I wanted to use my requisite amount of garlic. In this instance, it would have been two bulbs, but I only had one (which is still slightly more than the recipes I rely on call for). I’ll let it cool for a bit in the fridge before heating up a small batch to make a 4-way (onion/cheese) later. 🍝
One day I should actually get off my keister and pick me up a 4 way. Given we've 3 Skylines and 2 Goldstars all within a 5 mile radius it's not like they're hard to get to.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Top tip? Here's mine for pantry maintenance: You may never decide for sure whether you more often think "Why didn't I get enough of these?" or "Why the hell did I get so many of these?" On balance though it's good to err on the side of having an extra jar or can of most things you do tend to use often. Not everything has a good substitute that you're likely to have on hand, and you can donate unwanted jarred or canned items before expiry date to a food pantry.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
Buy low, sell high... I give you San Francisco

yztg7uxk31c71.png
Years ago, my wife and I were visiting San Jose, and decided to see what houses were available. We found a converted, 500 square foot former chicken coop on the corner of another house's lot going for half a million. We walked past.

Top Bottom
1 2