Weather

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I got stuck in my driveway this morning. Three decades living here and it’s the first time ever. Even turfed a piece of the lawn when the car decided where it wanted to go.

It’s too deep for my snow thrower. I really should’ve done it last night before it got this high. My bad. And I can’t get a snow plow company on the phone.

I’ll wait till later. I’m resigned to the fact I am not getting to work today.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey it almost froze here last night and I think again in a day or too, I might have to wrap my lemon tree again!!
I looked at the weather and it seems we may break freezing next weekend. It’s crazy to have such low overnight temperatures and return to moderate to warm during the day.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I looked at the weather and it seems we may break freezing next weekend. It’s crazy to have such low overnight temperatures and return to moderate to warm during the day.

No kidding. Here for January 2022 so far (well not here but nearest regional climate tracking center 60 mi from here) there have been exactly zero days where both the high and low air temperatures landed in the normal range. We're not getting record highs or lows but the daily range is way out of whack sometimes. There were even two days when both the high AND the low were out of normal and apparently there will be more like that ahead this month. Right around here we have to subtract about six to eight degrees from the forecast lows and our highs are a few degrees lower too, but the rollercoaster effect has been on the money. Needless to say the shrubs and perennial flowers don't like this even when they've been mulched.

temps rollercoaster jan 2022.jpg

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I got stuck in my driveway this morning. Three decades living here and it’s the first time ever. Even turfed a piece of the lawn when the car decided where it wanted to go.

It’s too deep for my snow thrower. I really should’ve done it last night before it got this high. My bad. And I can’t get a snow plow company on the phone.

Back in the good ole Minnesota days I used to enjoy the routine, I had my snow pants, snow jacket with hoody, insulated gloves, insulated boots, and full face mask, including goggles if required and I used to enjoy breaking out the snow blower, not one of those little single stage jobs, but the manly 2 stage and I’d marvel at the technology under my control as it blew the snow 15’ out onto the lawn off the drive way. And that was on a sloped driveway so more than once I fell on my keister or ended up hanging onto the handles while clearing the snow. :)

However, I do remember several times when the snow had actualy gotten to high for it, +12” or so, and not as fun, especially if it was wet and heavy, I’d have to alternate with a shovel to get the snow low enough for the blower intake And sometimes had to clear the throat of the blower.

And what got a bit annoying was when it snowed a couple of inches every day. I did have a pusher shovel and a bent handle shovel, too for that occasion.

Now I gripe about wrapping my lemon tree. In the big freeze last year a friend lost 3 of this trees... the hardship of living not quite in a tropical zone. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Oh, this is probably a better place for this pic, from the BIL last night, up in the PA area (about 30 miles south/southeast of Pittsburgh):

PXL_20220117_001031548.jpg

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Oh, this is probably a better place for this pic, from the BIL last night, up in the PA area (about 30 miles south/southeast of Pittsburgh):

From that glow, I'm thinking you might have some high grade radioactive waste in your front yard. I'd call the authorities.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I think that's some sort of alien probe, I guess next time I see the BIL, I have to assume he's some sort of replicant ...

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
From that glow, I'm thinking you might have some high grade radioactive waste in your front yard. I'd call the authorities.

I think that's some sort of alien probe, I guess next time I see the BIL, I have to assume he's some sort of replicant ...

Just part of the home security system, a laser grid like in heist movies, you know.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

Our wasn't that deep (6"), but it was heavy. Snapped a shear pin on my snowblower. Had to finish with basically a 13.5" snowblower instead of a 27". Got some new ones ordered. Hopefully they get here before the next snow.

Edit: Probably not. This is scheduled for Wednesday:

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1483119073458368515/

Last edited:

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
LOL. I got one plow service to call back. He was nice but apologetic: his schedule is full. How about tomorrow? Sorry, but I really don't want to miss two days of work.

So I'm resigned to shoveling just enough to get myself out, however slowly. And lo and behold, the neighbor next door is getting his driveway plowed. So I flagged the guy down and got him to clear mine. He wanted $30 for the job, I had only twenties, so I gave him $40. Well worth it.

But what a piece of luck. :)

Top Bottom
1 2