Weather

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well we definitely got close to 8" surprisingly. I had to literally dig my car out of a literal 4-5' snow drift. The whole front ¼ of my car was completely buried. It had become one with the snow.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
You have my sympathy. I used to dither during big snow dumps about whether I wanted to shovel the car out twice for about the same amount of trouble, or let it go until it was a truly impressive feat to unearth the vehicle.

I am happy not to have a car now to worry about digging out, believe me, even if there are moments when I miss the convenience of a car at my beck and call. It was hardly that when it had got well and truly snowed in.

We had about 8 or 10 inches snowfall here and some fat drifts when the snow fetched up against anything like the side of the house or barn. But all I had to do on Tuesday was shovel a little path from the plowed driveways to the back deck door, and the wind tends to sweep a little alleyway through one of those paths anyway, so that's handy. What I'd like is for January temperatures to let up already, the overnights have been colder this year than for quite a few recent winters, the rollercoaster highs during the day are also weird, and apparently there's more of this on tap for the rest of the month.

lemmeup already.jpg

D

Deleted member 215

*sigh* Such a promising fall here in California with above average rainfall, but so far a mediocre and disappointing winter. :( Essentially no rain so far in January. Sunny and dry and bouts of polluted air and no sign of it changing any time soon. Hope we get some rain in February, but there was no rain in February last year or the year before, from what I remember, so I'm not optimistic. It would be nice if we could just get the amount we're supposed to get instead of it always being below average, year after year...

Last edited by a moderator:

lizkat

Reaction score
Low of 4 tonight. :eek:

Ugh, that is frozen pipe territory for a lot of folks depending on pipe location and insulation. Canada's working overtime lately with plans to keep on trucking just to keep the eastern US air conditioned... It's supposed to be 15 below zero here overnight on Thursday, so subtracting a few more for right here means a temperature I haven't seen for 8 years.

the cold the hot and the lucky 50-50.jpg

D

Deleted member 215

Ugh, more above average temperatures in California...what else is new...

Bring some of that cold our way!

lizkat

Reaction score
It's cold! 48!

I think I could cook eggs on the hood of a car if it were that warm outside...

We're having a heat wave, it's all the way up to seven below zero right now. -16 when I woke up. Always a few degrees colder right here than forecast as I'm at the top of an east-west hill and halfway down a north-south one, Brrrrr.

ccccoldddd.jpg

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

We're having a heat wave, it's all the way up to seven below zero right now. -16 when I woke up. Always a few degrees colder right here than forecast as I'm at the top of an east-west hill and halfway down a north-south one, Brrrrr.
I don’t miss that. Not at all.

lizkat

Reaction score
I don’t miss that. Not at all.

I believe that. It is a pretty unusual winter though. The NOAA regional forecasters for Catskills and Central NY who operate out of Binghamton have been talking about models running out of guidance on the overnight temperature drops in this weather pattern.

As had been the concern in the lead up to early this morning,​
temperatures have dropped to the lowest end of available​
guidance, with most models struggling to handle this ideal​
radiational cooling situation under Arctic high pressure. From​
the Twin Tiers northward as well as Poconos-Catskills,​
temperatures have settled to a widespread 6 to 18 degrees below​
zero, with some locations in Central New York even achieving​
lower 20s below zero.​

Oh well. Motivated me to decide to press and trim scraps this morning. Not a fan of that in hot weather but on arctic mornings I don't mind standing over an ironing board for awhile. I'm sorry I ran that task to ground so fast!

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score

View attachment 11201

Damn, #ThoughtsAndPrayers lol

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Serious question for the southern folks here. (I've been down south, but never in the late fall or winter.)

How far south do you have to be, before you even stop owning a heavy coat or parka?

What do you do on those rare occasions when it does get into the 30s or 20s? Just bundle up in your medium-weight jacket with maybe a sweatshirt underneath and call it even?

Do stores in the lowest states even carry winter coats in the fall?

And do you think your answers might be different in a few years, thanks to climate change?

Top Bottom
1 2