Weather

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Serious question for the southern folks here. (I've been down south, but never in the late fall or winter.)

How far south do you have to be, before you even stop owning a heavy coat or parka?

What do you do on those rare occasions when it does get into the 30s or 20s? Just bundle up in your medium-weight jacket with maybe a sweatshirt underneath and call it even?

Do stores in the lowest states even carry winter coats in the fall?

And do you think your answers might be different in a few years, thanks to climate change?

We get a few 30s and 40s, a 20-something on rare occasion, wind chill can make a big difference, but generally, I rarely bust out a big coat. Hell, I barely wear long pants :D

On a recent low 40s (wind to upper 30s) day, long sleeve thermal and a lightweight wool jacket (jeans, wool sneakers). A lot of it is our lifestyle, we keep our house super warm, in the morning for school dropoff, I have whichever vehicle pre-warmed in the garage, if we do go out, it's usually the car to a destination in 100 feet or so.

Now, when we go to NY, to PA, where we're spending a lot of time walking, outside, 10s-20s, sure, we change our clothing protocols :D

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
That clipper coming through is supposed to give us less than an inch of snow.

So if we're only supposed to get an inch of snow, why did I just hear a plow go by with the blade down on the county road? They don't come out unless it's piling up. Maybe that clipper has turned into a park-and-dump. 😖

EDIT: sure enough, the wind is only 5mph and they've bumped the forecast to "moderate snow throughout the evening"...

Last edited:

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1485628463734214657/
ISTANBUL, Jan 25 (Reuters) - Flights were suspended for a second day at Istanbul Airport and private vehicles were barred from city streets on Tuesday, as heavy snowfall snarled traffic and left people stranded in Turkey's biggest city and across the country.

Snowfall began late last week and picked up in recent days in the city of 16 million people. Footage from the airport, among the world's largest, showed runways covered in a thick blanket of snow with aircraft and vehicles barely visible.

Istanbul Governor Ali Yerlikaya took the rare step of banning private cars until 1000 GMT (1 p.m. local) as emergency teams cleaned up streets, while many public workers were granted administrative leave to keep commutes to a minimum.

A video posted on social media showed a man skiing through city streets late on Monday, with people waving as he passed. Far away in Turkey's south, snow fell on the beaches of the resort city of Antalya for the first time in 29 years.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
So far we're just stuck with forecast of more truly bitter overnights and most of the weekend snow is supposedly staying east of the Catskills. I'll settle for that but can't wait for February to bring a little thaw for a few days at least. What a brutal January it has been up here as far as subzero temperatures go... and I'm a big fan of winter!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
From my BIL's car this morning ...

1643290155636.png

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen

I mean, the whole spectacle is stupid to begin with, and they do it over, and over, and over, and over again, but Phil is just a glorified rodent. I find myself deeply indifferent.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

I mean, the whole spectacle is stupid to begin with, and they do it over, and over, and over, and over again, but Phil is just a glorified rodent. I find myself deeply indifferent.
One day, PETA will learn how to pick their battles. On that day, they might be taken more seriously.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
This sounds awful.

The snow was falling at a rate of 2 to 4 inches per hour for several hours in many parts of the state and is expected to continue for the next couple of hours, Baker said. Southeastern Massachusetts may receive up to 30 inches of snow while the greater Boston area may get 2 feet, the governor said.

Two to four inches per hour is crazy enough. Now imagine if it were snowing like that in the middle of the night. With a 24-30" max, you'd be in (literally) deep trouble if you weren't out there with your snowblower at 2 am. And 3 am. And 4 am. And 5 am....

To make it worse, the power is out in some areas. How about coming in from that hourly, dead-of-night driveway plowing to a cold, dark house?

Not to mention ambulances even getting down your street, or fire trucks being able to locate and dig out a hydrant if needed.

Top Bottom
1 2