Weather

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Today it was 71ºF here (forecast was for 68). And for rest of the weekend the forecast remains more like August around here than November. Insanity for the Catskills this time of year. The lows will set recordbreaking highs. Should be in the low 30s here now overnight and with an inversion settling in, it won't even get down into the high 40s. Not complaining... just wondering!!

november insanity.jpg

sgtaylor5

Power User
Reaction score
Screen Shot 2022-11-04 at 14.27.33.png

Very warm summer and early fall, then the hammer dropped after a week or two of "fall" and suddenly we're in winter. 2-3" of heavy wet snow fell last night, and it turned to constant rain all today (Friday). This isn't the last time we had almost no fall weather, and it won't be the last.

Trees are all confused and they still have all their leaves. Some of the neighbor's branches have broken, but the news channels haven't broken in to local TV with "all the trees are falling down" like they usually do.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Man I hope that's not how Indian Summer comes to an end around here. I haven't even made sure my furnace will kick in... and the techs aren't due here for a tune-up or whatever until mid-November since they got behind doing new installations this summer. Heh, well there's always the piano, and an old woodstove in the kitchen... 😒

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Man I hope that's not how Indian Summer comes to an end around here.
We have not had a real Indian Summer in a long while. Just warm, sunny weather that makes absolute certain that we want no more of that, makes some rain, then some more rain, gets very cold, rains some more, and so forth, sometimes like that all the way into July. Except, of course, about 8 or 10 days in January that tease at summer. At least, it feels like summer, relative to what we had been having.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
sandy river is really high with all the rain we had this week. its really early for it to be this high. the fist video is about 40 miles from us and the second is 12 miles from is and maybe a mile or so from the Columbia river it empties into.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
We had some not-messing-around wind these past few days. The tree tried to nail my car with a couple branches but failed to get a solid hit. When I go out probably tomorrow there will be crap lying all over the place. Thankfully it has died down – for a week or two anyway.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
We had rain yesterday! A full day of nice, normal rain. And it looks like it will be a gorgeous day today with a high of 80. If the water’s not too cold, I’ll be able to get in a swim.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We've got this brewing ...

Subtropical Storm Nicole has prompted hurricane, tropical storm and storm surge watches as a a prolonged period of coastal flooding, beach erosion, strong winds, high surf, rip currents, and heavy rain is expected in Florida and parts of the Southeast this week.

Nicole became the 14th storm of the Atlantic season early Monday morning and is centered several hundred miles east of the Bahamas.

The storm has been classified as subtropical for now, which means it's a hybrid type system that has characteristics of both a tropical and non-tropical storm. Nicole is forecast to transition into a fully tropical storm in the next couple of days.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Ugh, this storm might have a little more impact than previously suggested - and it's hitting during a "king tide", a period of super high tides - well, that's just swell.

Looks like landfall on early Thursday, this is 3am:

1667913715851.png

We're about midway between Jacksonville and Palm Coast.

Last edited:

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Wind storms have been hitting our part of the PNW last few days. Not as bad as some we’ve had in the past, but still a strong one.

Surprisingly we only lost power for a minute or so on Friday night, so a bit lucky there. But yesterday the office building lost power in the afternoon, and so I decided it was a sign telling me to go and beat the evening rush out, especially when I was the only one on the team in the office at the time.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
Please ignore the ancient 1940's window and torn screen. I'm swimming in alligators paying off two unexpected emergency hospital stays so other things are on hold. But this is the visibility (or lack thereof), I had out my window today from today's storm on the westside of L.A.

Pretty nuts!

IMG_3182_Play.jpg

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
And there we go, from the school district:

As we continue to monitor Tropical Storm Nicole with the Emergency Operations Center, it is evident that our county will be impacted by tidal flooding, wind, and rain. These conditions may restrict access to coastal and low-lying regions.

Due to the storm’s projected timeline, schools will remain open on Wednesday with a regular early dismissal. Extended day services will operate as usual. There will be no afterschool activities, events, or athletics.

We will close all schools and district offices on Thursday, November 10th. Please be reminded that Friday is a holiday honoring Veterans Day.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
OK, took it slow, plenty of time and daylight and no rain, made everything easier. Everything is out of potential flood harm, a few things wrapped in the garage (car, generator), things that could get wrecked stored, moved upstairs, etc., much more organized this time, nothing is in the way.

Like I mentioned, the daughter had school cancelled tomorrow, open today, but we wound up bringing her home this morning, we were getting bridge closing warnings (sustained wind speeds ) and we’ve had the ocean breach across A1A already this morning (after we saw this, we hit Publix, got a few more supplies and came home).

1668015086568.png

I know we could make it to the school in the Jeep, but things might get shut down, I was not going to risk anyone getting stranded.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Whew.

Will update later, everything is pretty good, staying locked down through the 10p high tide (much lower, no surge, will be no issue). The A1A south of us is devastated, blocked off (also blocked before the bridge on the other side), so no escape from this area anyway. Pretty close to Ian in terms of flooding, i.e., pretty bad, but we were pretty much expecting that, had a good plan.

Power, connectivity, etc., all up, lots of eatin' and drinkin' going on (we have tons of supplies), probably a couple of Castle Panic games later on.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We can see a tiny patch of dry road ... :D

Yuck, what a mess, most've been a good amount of river sludge, and/or, remnants from Ian. 😬

I thought A1A was closed due to water and debris, but holy shit, the road washed out underneath and collapsed ... we're just up the road about 1/2 a mile, that's how the get off this side of the river, otherwise it's a 45 minute trip north and back south.

This will be a lengthy clusterfuck to sort out.

1668112993911.png

Cleaned up the driveway a little, basically got blew all the leaves that had washed up, pushed them into a pile, but leaving that for another day.

My tether worked for the Hyrda-Barrier, used a couple of lengths of paracord attached under the garage door to the frame, hahaha, during Ian it floated down the street :ROFLMAO:

There was a classic Florida Man moment, good old Andy, tried to get to Carmela's for some smokes in his (now submerged) golf cart ... I think the cherry on top is the Danzig shirt :D

IMG_2187.jpg

Top Bottom
1 2