Weather

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
OMG, it's glorious today, actually starting getting a touch warm. Left the house this morning about 9:30a, it was in the mid-low 50s, of course, TNU even at 5x :D Wound up back at the house about 11a, mid-upper 60s, really sunny, had to shed the hoodie!

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
OMG, it's glorious today, actually starting getting a touch warm. Left the house this morning about 9:30a, it was in the mid-low 50s, of course, TNU even at 5x :D Wound up back at the house about 11a, mid-upper 60s, really sunny, had to shed the hoodie!
I went and sat on the deck today for the first time in over a week. Glorious is right!

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Snow gods gettin' ready to party down. Going to slide farther inland than earlier forecasts. Could get pretty messy with up to two feet of snowfall in the western reaches, ugly mix of snow and rain easterly. And on Beethoven's birthday, gee. No manners.

noreaster 2020 Dec 16-17.jpg

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Snow gods gettin' ready to party down. Going to slide farther inland than earlier forecasts. Could get pretty messy with up to two feet of snowfall in the western reaches, ugly mix of snow and rain easterly. And on Beethoven's birthday, gee. No manners.

View attachment 1887
My daughter said yesterday that she was waiting until after the storm to go to the drug store. I said “wait, what storm?!” Looks like you guys are in for a rough time. Stay warm!

lizkat

Reaction score
My daughter said yesterday that she was waiting until after the storm to go to the drug store. I said “wait, what storm?!” Looks like you guys are in for a rough time. Stay warm!

Here it will be all snow, starting late afternoon and mostly during the overnight, supposed to add up to around 14" but the winds will make for a lot of drifting, so the plowing crews will be making overtime for sure.

lizkat

Reaction score
Well we certainly overshot the mark on the forecast of snow for this weather system... official NWS reports are snowfall of 2 or 2.5 feet around this part of the western Catskills, 3 feet at points about ten miles west of here, and a whopping 41" inches over in Binghamton. No one's going anywhere any time soon although the county road has been kept more or less plowed... it's the damn driveways are the issue and will promptly set up with speedbumps at their ends when the temperatures fall later on.

Power stayed on here except for a brief outage when they switched us to or from a substation, a typical thing for some reason. But we did lose phone and net service for awhile. That was restored around 10am. Happy camper here, and not least for having a topped off pantry. "See y'all in the spring!" will be the watchword hereabouts for awhile.

Hope everyone else in the path of this thing has fared ok. Biggest challenge for some of us will be finding out how our kin are doing, or letting them know we're ok. When communications capabilities drop then my tribe always figures we all have at least the wit of a barn cat to try to look after ourselves, so we resort to "assume we're ok until someone you don't know calls to say otherwise."

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Well we certainly overshot the mark on the forecast of snow for this weather system... official NWS reports are snowfall of 2 or 2.5 feet around this part of the western Catskills, 3 feet at points about ten miles west of here, and a whopping 41" inches over in Binghamton. No one's going anywhere any time soon although the county road has been kept more or less plowed... it's the damn driveways are the issue and will promptly set up with speedbumps at their ends when the temperatures fall later on.

Power stayed on here except for a brief outage when they switched us to or from a substation, a typical thing for some reason. But we did lose phone and net service for awhile. That was restored around 10am. Happy camper here, and not least for having a topped off pantry. "See y'all in the spring!" will be the watchword hereabouts for awhile.

Hope everyone else in the path of this thing has fared ok. Biggest challenge for some of us will be finding out how our kin are doing, or letting them know we're ok. When communications capabilities drop then my tribe always figures we all have at least the wit of a barn cat to try to look after ourselves, so we resort to "assume we're ok until someone you don't know calls to say otherwise."
My best friend is sending me pictures of his backyard covered in snow.

I of course had to taunt.

"Do you have to wear some sort of heavy coat when you try to remove all that stuff?" "I don't remember."

lizkat

Reaction score

Supposed to be one degree above 0ºF here tonight, which usually translates five or eight degrees lower... not what you want to hear as the end of the month approaches and no one can even get out to their gas tanks to see how much fuel is left, gee. Some places around here have eight-foot drifts wherever something put a pause on the wind and the stuff piled up.

lizkat

Reaction score
It finally dropped down below 60 here. I hate it so much. :mad:

Yeah but now you get to flaunt your winter-weather clothes! Or cheat the season and put on thermal underwear... that way you can get back to some serious sweating while mowing the lawn. Here we just about do a dance when the snow buries the pesky grass under a couple feet of "mulch". I can't even imagine living someplace where ya have to mow the lawn all year round.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
We’ve had crazy cold weather here. I know it doesn’t compare, but it’s gotten down into the 30s and 40s overnight for the last week. That worries me, since we don’t usually get winter until late January or early February.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
We’ve had crazy cold weather here. I know it doesn’t compare, but it’s gotten down into the 30s and 40s overnight for the last week. That worries me, since we don’t usually get winter until late January or early February.

Yeah, it's been weird. I might even see a white Christmas this year.

lizkat

Reaction score
Yeah, it's been weird. I might even see a white Christmas this year.

And yet y'all still seein' fit to ship your tsuris up here for us... even got mention in our local forecast discussion

Now, into Thursday: A deep trough digs into the central US. Strong​
south/southwesterly flow over our area (up to 60 to 70 knots) will​
help to advect in some Gulf moisture, aiding in touching off a few
rain/snow showers by early Thursday morning which should change over
to all rain into the daytime hours as temperatures climb up well
into the 40s. Rain becomes most likely for the afternoon and evening​
ahead of a strong frontal passage as the trough takes on a negative​
tilt.​
This will cause a shift to rare cold southwesterly flow, and a
rapid drop in temperatures Thursday evening and night. With guidance
hinting at a potential for higher precip rates and accumulations, we
will need to keep an eye on this system. We have the existing
significant snowpack to consider, and the implications for
additional runoff.
Said "significant snowpack" sits currently at 2.5 to 4 feet before drifts in my county. What we don't need is rain on top of that and 40ºF temperatures. Last time the weather gods ran something like that around here we lost a lot of maple trees in our local yards due to their not caring for drowning in lakes and then sitting in slush or ice in the overnights. Made great firewood though... and fewer leaves to rake...

So keep yer potentially white Christmas where it belongs, we already got enough to fix Canada's wagon if we could just do what y'all plan on doing and ship it north!

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what it is that I dislike most about hailstones: The cold (hailstones are a form of frozen water, after all), the wet (they are not solidly frozen, but damp yet freezing), but above all, that threatening, lowering, charcoal coloured sky, that dreary, light-deprived darkness of this time of year.

lizkat

Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what it is that I dislike most about hailstones: The cold (hailstones are a form of frozen water, after all), the wet (they are not solidly frozen, but damp yet freezing), but above all, that threatening, lowering, charcoal coloured sky, that dreary, light-deprived darkness of this time of year.

What auto insurers don't like about them are the claims!!

Top Bottom
1 2