What’s on TV?

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Probably starting it this weekend. Getting a lot of buzz in my circles.

There should probably be even more buzz about the couple of states where the courts have overturned settlements with big pharma over marketing opoids as a factor in the crisis... California and Oklahoma are two and there's wonderment over whether it's a trend. The grounds cited appear to be that existing laws underwriting the prosecution were misapplied and so the settlements are invalid.

Not to derail this thread though, I too want to have a look at the Dopesick series. It sure as hell will be an improvement on my most recent glance-in at a TV series. I had watched more than a few episodes of The Good Wife when it was first airing... and had enjoyed them, so recently decided to have a look at a spinoff called The Good Fight, which features the Diane Lockhart character from that earlier series. Well... this one has had its moments but already feels too much like a soap opera and I'm still only in Season 1, sigh...

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
There should probably be even more buzz about the couple of states where the courts have overturned settlements with big pharma over marketing opoids as a factor in the crisis... California and Oklahoma are two and there's wonderment over whether it's a trend. The grounds cited appear to be that existing laws underwriting the prosecution were misapplied and so the settlements are invalid.

Not to derail this thread though, I too want to have a look at the Dopesick series. It sure as hell will be an improvement on my most recent glance-in at a TV series. I had watched more than a few episodes of The Good Wife when it was first airing... and had enjoyed them, so recently decided to have a look at a spinoff called The Good Fight, which features the Diane Lockhart character from that earlier series. Well... this one has had its moments but already feels too much like a soap opera and I'm still only in Season 1, sigh...
Our justice system truly favors the rich. Wells Fargo defrauds its customers egregiously. Does anybody there do jail time? Do the customers even get their money back? Maybe… and the company gets a small fine.

Bernie Madoff tricks a bunch of rich people into his Ponzi scheme and goes to jail for the rest of his life.

Elizabeth Holmes (of Theranos infamy) ripped off a LOT of rich people. She’ll do time.

Kill millions with opioids? That’s cool, as long as none of them were rich. Here’s your speeding ticket, Sackler family. Remember to drive slower next time, ya hear?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Our justice system truly favors the rich. Wells Fargo defrauds its customers egregiously. Does anybody there do jail time? Do the customers even get their money back? Maybe… and the company gets a small fine.

Bernie Madoff tricks a bunch of rich people into his Ponzi scheme and goes to jail for the rest of his life.

Elizabeth Holmes (of Theranos infamy) ripped off a LOT of rich people. She’ll do time.

Kill millions with opioids? That’s cool, as long as none of them were rich. Here’s your speeding ticket, Sackler family. Remember to drive slower next time, ya hear?

Right... and why should we be surprised, when special interests have such a high hand in drafting laws ostensibly passed on our behalf by a too often bought and paid for Congress.

As far as TV goes, there's also usually a limit on what the average US-made TV series will really home in on, in the way of corruption of the lawmaking process. Not enough asking us why we allow it to happen, for one thing. But anyway maybe corporations are people. They sure do seem to have pretty thin skin when it comes to sponsoring TV shows, including the news.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I maybe confused with Oppressive Mac Rumors, but has Squid Game (2021) been mentioned here? I can’t find it in a search. It’s good, it’s a story based in Korea, filmed in Korean, but thankfully dubbed in English unless you enjoy reading while watching… It‘s about people in serious financial jeopardy are given a chance to participate in life and death children games for example red light, green light, in a tournament, and the final winner becomes a millionair/billionaire (not sure about Won, but it’s a lot of money). There is drama there, but even though I was happy I did not have to read subtitles, I admit that not hearing the actor's true voice is a detriment.

E83060E2-1563-4D57-8F6D-C01FC45CD44B.jpeg
Squid Game

U

User.45

I maybe confused with Oppressive Mac Rumors, but has Squid Game (2021) been mentioned here? I can’t find it in a search. It’s good, it’s a story based in Korea, filmed in Korean, but thankfully dubbed in English unless you enjoy reading while watching… It‘s about people in serious financial jeopardy are given a chance to participate in life and death children games for example red light, green light, in a tournament, and the final winner becomes a millionair/billionaire (not sure about Won, but it’s a lot of money). There is drama there, but even though I was happy I did not have to read subtitles, I admit that not hearing the actor's true voice is a detriment.

View attachment 9718
Squid Game
I've always liked Korean movies. They have a dark sense of humor that I dig. Squid game captures this too.

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score

View attachment 9718
Squid Game

I thought it was a solid watch but the drama seemed rather artificial at times. I’ll give it a 7/10.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
...and the final winner becomes a millionair/billionaire (not sure about Won, but it’s a lot of money).

It was 45.6 billion won which is about $38 million. And it was a very good show. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I opted for reading. I'd rather hear the original performance and read. But I totally understand those who don't care to read. As long as you're enjoying it, then it seems to be doing its job as entertainment.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Looking forward to another episode of Foundation tonight, then the new Invasion to doze off to.

Am I the only one who gets new episodes on Thursday evening? I've always gotten my new episodes on Thursday evenings. Around 6 if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, I watched both last night. I enjoyed both. I was somewhat surprised I enjoyed both to be honest, but that's how it worked out. 🤷‍♂️

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
It was 45.6 billion won which is about $38 million. And it was a very good show. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I opted for reading. I'd rather hear the original performance and read. But I totally understand those who don't care to read. As long as you're enjoying it, then it seems to be doing its job as entertainment.
Fully agree except I think watching with dubbing is unacceptable. Subtitles or nothing.

Squid Game was great, I thought. Lived up to the hype.

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
Am I the only one who gets new episodes on Thursday evening? I've always gotten my new episodes on Thursday evenings. Around 6 if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, I watched both last night. I enjoyed both. I was somewhat surprised I enjoyed both to be honest, but that's how it worked out. [emoji2369]

Foundation I find really well done, invasion I just have invested too much time to quit now - hope it picks up the pace.

I always get the notifications for new episodes on Friday hence never checked prior.

U

User.45

Foundation I find really well done, invasion I just have invested too much time to quit now - hope it picks up the pace.

I always get the notifications for new episodes on Friday hence never checked prior.
They might as well pull this Foundation series off.

This was the first episode that hit the spirit of the books through and through.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Looking forward to another episode of Foundation tonight, then the new Invasion to doze off to.
Watched both a few hours ago. We seem to have gotten a number of questions answered on Invasion including what they look like…almost. Honestly, I think shooting horror scenes in the dark is chickenshit.

I also watched the first two episodes of The Shrink Next Door. Holy cow! I think I’ve underrated both Ferrell and Rudd. They are really good in this!

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Anybody watching Dopesick on Hulu? I really didn’t know much about the OxyContin story but this is blowing my mind. Good show.
Heard a report on NPR about this. From what I know about it someone, some should be in jail... Btw Dopesick is a reference to drug/opiod withdrawal symptoms.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I tried to read the novel recently knowing this was coming out and lost interest in it. That's not to say it was a bad book, it just did not click for me, and I know it's considered a Scifi Classic. If the reviews are super, I'll consider giving it a try.:oops:

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
Watched both a few hours ago. We seem to have gotten a number of questions answered on Invasion including what they look like…almost. Honestly, I think shooting horror scenes in the dark is chickenshit.

I also watched the first two episodes of The Shrink Next Door. Holy cow! I think I’ve underrated both Ferrell and Rudd. They are really good in this!

Yes I agree Invasion picked up the pace, thank god. We’ll have to see how it goes from here.

The shrink looks interesting- maybe in the coming days I’ll give it a shot.

Top Bottom
1 2