What’s on TV?

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
U

User.45

I've watched all the Foundation episodes except for the finale, and it has grown on me. I also watched Dune '21 on HBO Max today and liked it. (I didn't realize it was available there until today, which was the last day.)
Episode 9 was fantastic and should have been the season finale. The actual finale was underwhelming at best. I don't even understand these the makers' decisions because they did make material that could have been really good. It's like someone steals the ball in a basketball game where their team is 1 point down, goes up in the air for a dunk, does a 360 windmill and misses.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
The first season of The Morning Show was ok, but was hoping for better. I’ve watched most of season 2 and I give up. It’s an unequivocal disaster.

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
Episode 9 was fantastic and should have been the season finale. The actual finale was underwhelming at best. I don't even understand these the makers' decisions because they did make material that could have been really good. It's like someone steals the ball in a basketball game where their team is 1 point down, goes up in the air for a dunk, does a 360 windmill and misses.

I actually enjoyed all episodes so far. Compared to Invasion this one is a masterpiece. I agree that the last one wasn’t as much of a firecracker as the one before.
In my opinion the middle aged actor for the emperor is brilliant.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
“How the Grinch Stole Christmas” (NBC), although it hurts to see how heavily edited it is.

I mean, the edits are done fairly well. They shaved off two seconds here, five seconds there… If you didn’t know every moment of it by heart you’d probably not notice them.

On the other hand, the restored cartoon cels are gorgeous. Kudos to whoever did that job.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Yes I agree Invasion picked up the pace, thank god. We’ll have to see how it goes from here.

The shrink looks interesting- maybe in the coming days I’ll give it a shot.
Loved Foundation all the way through but can't say the same for Invasion:
Just way too melodramatic for my taste, they spend far too much time on these stories and not nearly enough on the actual invasion. Even as of the last episode we're still left guessing basic questions about the aliens and why are there literally no people/bodies in all of these population centers?

Instead, they're focused on infidelity from a failed marriage, the soldier who can't reconnect with his lover that he never wanted to be with and the Japanese woman who is never quite able to get the message out to her lover and the aliens. Feels like a lot of time was wasted getting to where we are, just not sure if it's even worth watching whatever episodes are left.

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
Just way too melodramatic for my taste, they spend far too much time on these stories and not nearly enough on the actual invasion. Even as of the last episode we're still left guessing basic questions about the aliens and why are there literally no people/bodies in all of these population centers?

Instead, they're focused on infidelity from a failed marriage, the soldier who can't reconnect with his lover that he never wanted to be with and the Japanese woman who is never quite able to get the message out to her lover and the aliens. Feels like a lot of time was wasted getting to where we are, just not sure if it's even worth watching whatever episodes are left.

I have to agree with your assessment, overall it’s a waste of time so far.

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
It's the "so far" that keeps my coming back. I don't expect it to suddenly become a good show. I just have hope that it might. That said, I absolutely expect to be disappointed.

I feel similar and the same thoughts apply to For All Mankind, to a degree.

I have given up on See on the other hand.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
It's the "so far" that keeps my coming back. I don't expect it to suddenly become a good show. I just have hope that it might. That said, I absolutely expect to be disappointed.
It’s pretty clear at this point that it’s not going to get any better. Just a whole lot of nothing - they managed to make a show about alien invasions boring. And what character are we supposed to be rooting for? They are all terribly unlikeable. It’s like someone said “let’s make Independence Day into a show, but we’ll just focus on a handful of boring random people while Will Smith is out doing the cool shit.”

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
And what character are we supposed to be rooting for?

That's the problem I had with Battlestar Galactica. I honestly didn't like any of the characters and hoped each episode they'd all be killed. I was rooting for a completely new cast.

Like I said before, I'm too stubborn to quit at this point. So I'll catch the rest of the season. But I don't expect to enjoy it.

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
That's the problem I had with Battlestar Galactica. I honestly didn't like any of the characters and hoped each episode they'd all be killed. I was rooting for a completely new cast.

Like I said before, I'm too stubborn to quit at this point. So I'll catch the rest of the season. But I don't expect to enjoy it.

I tried to rewatch the BSG remake, but couldn’t stand the show anymore.

U

User.45

LOL, 100%... I gave up at the season they brought up religion. It was pretentious, protracted, and there were zero characters to like.
I now think the creators aimed to make the Invasion Gray's Anatomy with aliens. From that perspective it's pretty hilarious.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
LOL, 100%... I gave up at the season they brought up religion.
That was the deal killer for me. I did like the rest of what I saw and thought they did a good job trying to make a serious story of the original. I had similar hopes for Lost in Space but, oh well.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

I’m in the minority here, I see. But I am thoroughly enjoying Invasion. Perhaps due to the characters. It’s very well done. I don’t need fight scenes with special effects every episode, and I’d rather only see aliens at a distance than be disappointed in the (lack of) imagination when it comes to bringing them to life.

Has anyone else noticed that all modern alien monsters have multiple nesting sets of teeth?

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Commercial break. 😁

I’m getting really tired of that Wonder Woman/Serena spot for DirecTV. Serena Williams can’t act to save her life. She’s so expressionless in every shot.

On the other hand, the new Geico commercial is one of their funniest ever. 😄

U

User.45

I don’t need fight scenes with special effects every episode, and I’d rather only see aliens at a distance than be disappointed in the (lack of) imagination when it comes to bringing them to life.

Has anyone else noticed that all modern alien monsters have multiple nesting sets of teeth?
The creators definitely did not interpret my Gray's anatomy reference in the Roswellian sense....:D

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Just into episode #1 of Foundation but am already very unsure what I'm watching. I've seen more emotion in the first 10 minutes than in an entire Asimov book. I've read these books 15 years ago, but other than the names of places and characters, I recognize nothing of the story from the books.

Speaking of Foundation, my daughter is reading it for school, and she just now had to fill out a form with some publication info. Since she’s reading the kindle version, I grabbed my old paperback, and found this. While I knew that I met the man and had a short conversation of him when I was a teenager, I had no idea that I had this. Miracle that I still have it after going to college, moving multiple times, including across the country, since then.

Attachments

• B668BC5E-4C6E-4D06-A6C8-C182708CD1B4.jpeg
    B668BC5E-4C6E-4D06-A6C8-C182708CD1B4.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 37
Top Bottom
1 2