What’s on TV?

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Speaking of Foundation, my daughter is reading it for school, and she just now had to fill out a form with some publication info. Since she’s reading the kindle version, I grabbed my old paperback, and found this. While I knew that I met the man and had a short conversation of him when I was a teenager, I had no idea that I had this. Miracle that I still have it after going to college, moving multiple times, including across the country, since then.
I have two Asimov autographs. Treasured.

U

User.45

Speaking of Foundation, my daughter is reading it for school, and she just now had to fill out a form with some publication info. Since she’s reading the kindle version, I grabbed my old paperback, and found this. While I knew that I met the man and had a short conversation of him when I was a teenager, I had no idea that I had this. Miracle that I still have it after going to college, moving multiple times, including across the country, since then.
Read the series 20 years from that autograph, LOL.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Read the series 20 years from that autograph, LOL.

I read it about once a decade or so. I started it about a week ago to help my kid - she wanted to talk about stuff, and I couldn’t remember what events happened in what book. When I’m done I am wondering if I should give that final trilogy written by other folks another try. I seem to remember I took a crack at it a long time ago and hated it.

U

User.45

I read it about once a decade or so. I started it about a week ago to help my kid - she wanted to talk about stuff, and I couldn’t remember what events happened in what book. When I’m done I am wondering if I should give that final trilogy written by other folks another try. I seem to remember I took a crack at it a long time ago and hated it.
If you ask me, I preferred the Robots Universe. Those books are set in in the timeline preceding the Empire by millennia. Now, I think all of these stories are largely obsolete, yet more relevant than ever. The reason I've been irritated with almost all TV/Movie adaptations of these books is that Asimov was extremely consistent on one thing: it isn't robots/AI we need to be afraid of, but human nature itself. (I Robot managed to convey the exact opposite message Asimov's books had)

So what's the present relevance? Asimov was off on the tech but spot on with human nature. We do have tech that is analogous to Psychohistory. It's Facebook, and it does the exact opposite: fucks the world up to help sell shit we don't need. So I think this is a very relevant read for today's teenager because we've already failed them with social media.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
If you ask me, I preferred the Robots Universe. Those books are set in in the timeline preceding the Empire by millennia. Now, I think all of these stories are largely obsolete, yet more relevant than ever. The reason I've been irritated with almost all TV/Movie adaptations of these books is that Asimov was extremely consistent on one thing: it isn't robots/AI we need to be afraid of, but human nature itself. (I Robot managed to convey the exact opposite message Asimov's books had)

So what's the present relevance? Asimov was off on the tech but spot on with human nature. We do have tech that is analogous to Psychohistory. It's Facebook, and it does the exact opposite: fucks the world up to help sell shit we don't need. So I think this is a very relevant read for today's teenager because we've already failed them with social media.
I am a big fan of the Robot trilogy (and the later 4th book Robots and Empire). Talking about it makes me want to re-read it.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Surprised to be digging Hawkeye. This 3rd episode was great. Hailee Steinfeld is a fuckin awesome actor. Ending it with Gingerbread Man by Sammy Davis Jr during the credits was a nice touch.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
LOL... HBO Max sent me an email awhile back inquiring if I "forgot" to check in to Season 3 of Succession.

Answer: no, I just haven't got around to it. Also possibly thinking that two seasons of watching an imagination of how the Murdochs might manage their work and personal lives may have been waaaay more than enough. The needle has moved ominously far towards "I could not care less".

Fortunately for the bean-counters, there's a lot of other stuff I do like on the HBO Max platform.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
Wheel of Time's episode 4 is definitely the best so far. I did read the books eons ago and yes, the series has made changes. So far, I'm accepting it as a separate entity. I hope the last four episodes are on par with episode 4. Rosamund Pike is doing an excellent job so far portraying Moiraine.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wheel of Time's episode 4 is definitely the best so far. I did read the books eons ago and yes, the series has made changes. So far, I'm accepting it as a separate entity. I hope the last four episodes are on par with episode 4. Rosamund Pike is doing an excellent job so far portraying Moiraine.
Thankfully, I never read it, so I can enjoy it as is. It’s great fun.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
For those watching Wheel of Time (WOT), beginning next season, you will see a new Mat as the character has been re-cast. So far, no one seems to know the reason for the change.

1660267636_DonalFinncastingnews.png.0132e9ffff31f51ce88fffa7c4291acc.png

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
For those watching Wheel of Time (WOT), beginning next season, you will see a new Mat as the character has been re-cast. So far, no one seems to know the reason for the change.

Odd. But it does let us know he doesn’t die from going mad after touching the One Source.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I have spent the day binging the final season (3) of Lost in Space. Just started the last episode.

I love robots.
Yeah, just got an email notice that S3 is up. I had low expectations for this series when it began a few years ago, but I've enjoyed it. Parker Posey is delightfully unlikeable as Dr. Smith.

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score

And I wished they’d find a replacement for Rand that doesn’t resemble the most annoying aspects of young Annakin Skywalker from Episode 2 [emoji57]

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
And I wished they’d find a replacement for Rand that doesn’t resemble the most annoying aspects of young Annakin Skywalker from Episode 2 [emoji57]
The actor portraying Rand (so far) doesn't really bother me. Maybe because he looks like what I imagined while reading the books.

Zoë Robins, the New Zealand actress playing Nynaeve al'Meara, is killing it.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eek. Mea culpa. I wasn't thinking and now realize I posted a spoiler.
My post op pain meds are messing with my chi.
Sorry. 🥺
Doesn’t bother me. I usually read what’s behind the spoiler tags. LOL
Yeah, just got an email notice that S3 is up. I had low expectations for this series when it began a few years ago, but I've enjoyed it. Parker Posey is delightfully unlikeable as Dr. Smith.
She was amazing.

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
The actor portraying Rand (so far) doesn't really bother me. Maybe because he looks like what I imagined while reading the books.

Zoë Robins, the New Zealand actress playing Nynaeve al'Meara, is killing it.

I’m pretty sure Jordan didn’t portrait the Aiel as a group of gingers. And I imagined Ogiers to be more impressive and taller somehow.

The fourth episode again has a weird focus and didn’t resemble much of what happened in the books. Moraine and her warder aren’t supposed to be emotional…

Top Bottom
1 2