What’s on TV?

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure Jordan didn’t portrait the Aiel as a group of gingers. And I imagined Ogiers to be more impressive and taller somehow.

The fourth episode again has a weird focus and didn’t resemble much of what happened in the books. Moraine and her warder aren’t supposed to be emotional…
It’s been decades since I read the books. This is why it’s probably easier for me to watch the show as a separate entity.

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
Meanwhile, I love the relationship amongst the warders.

I don’t think that had to be invented, there’s 15 large books to use as source material rather than make up this stuff. It’s Hobbiting the series, Peter Jackson would be proud.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Beatles/Get Back (Disney+)- Documentary, if you were alive during the Beatles you may find these recording sessions to be fascinating.

My wife and I finished watching last night. At nearly eight hours in length, it was far too much to view in one session — we did it in pieces over a week. I've read complaints that it's boring at times and is missing the attributes of a typical documentary, in which a narrator explains the goings-on. But I think the point here is to make the viewer feel as if they were present in real time, though there are occasional on-screen annotations to identify people and events.

I appreciated the series because it showed the Beatles mostly enjoying being with each other, with the almost certain knowledge that Get Back would probably be their last collaboration. Seeing them sometimes struggle to craft lyrics was especially fascinating, particularly since we've known the words for many decades. (How could they not come up with "Tuscon, Arizona" in the eponymous track right off the bat?) I'm sure some songs are written in a single, quick sitting, but here we see that many of the Beatles' numbers started as a brief melody or verse and then evolved over time.

Many of the non-musical segments are delightful. They include Linda Eastman's 6-year-old daughter, Heather, visiting the recording studio, twirling on the floor and interacting playfully with Paul, who later adopted her. (She was born in Tuscon, but I don't know if that inspired the lyric.) The final sequence in episode three, which covers the Beatles' rooftop concert, was the most entertaining part for me, especially when the police showed up to try to shut the production down. That they did, but in a low-key, respectful way.

Incidentally, the video and audio quality are top-notch. I gather that advanced digital techniques were used to process the film. The results are remarkable.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
So I spent yesterday and today binging Cowboy Beebop. Not at all what I expected. But I enjoyed it right up to the end.

Mostly I enjoyed the soundtrack. It was excellent!

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
So I spent yesterday and today binging Cowboy Beebop. Not at all what I expected. But I enjoyed it right up to the end.

Mostly I enjoyed the soundtrack. It was excellent!
I watched the first couple episodes but then got drawn into Handmaids’ tale… There was a weird scene in Cowboy Bebop that made me want to watch something else for a while.

People processing drugs, for some reason are completely naked with their eyes stapled shut? I didn’t want to watch gross-out horror, I wanted to watch Cowboy Bebop. Totally unnecessary and derogatory to a show I had been enjoying up to that point.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Starting to run up on this recent trend of "Fall Finale's". Not sure I like it, but it will give us some time to catch up on some things sitting on the DVR as well as try a couple of new shows.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Watched some more Lost in Space but not terribly in love with it so far.
So the third season just dropped I think. That is on our list. The wife and I have enjoyed the first 2 seasons. They did a good job with the female Dr. Smith. :)

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
For those watching Wheel of Time (WOT), beginning next season, you will see a new Mat as the character has been re-cast. So far, no one seems to know the reason for the change.

1660267636_DonalFinncastingnews.png.0132e9ffff31f51ce88fffa7c4291acc.png
Wheel of Time is on my to-view list. Right now the majority of our tv time is wrapped up in binging on GoTs, watched the Red Wedding last night with the Purple Wedding just around the corner. ;)

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
Wheel of Time is on my to-view list. Right now the majority of our tv time is wrapped up in binging on GoTs, watched the Red Wedding last night with the Purple Wedding just around the corner. ;)

GOT is leagues better than this, from the overall class of the actors to adherence to the books (as long as possible…) to the music, the effects, just everything.

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
Personally I’m rewatching Babylon 5 and enjoying the show so much. Shire, it’s aged a bit and I’m looking forward to the reboot, but it leaves so many science fiction shows in the dust.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I watched the first couple episodes but then got drawn into Handmaids’ tale… There was a weird scene in Cowboy Bebop that made me want to watch something else for a while.

People processing drugs, for some reason are completely naked with their eyes stapled shut? I didn’t want to watch gross-out horror, I wanted to watch Cowboy Bebop. Totally unnecessary and derogatory to a show I had been enjoying up to that point.
Unfortunately, it was the same scene from countless movies and is drawn straight from real life (except maybe the eyes part). I think that was done for shock effect.
So the third season just dropped I think. That is on our list. The wife and I have enjoyed the first 2 seasons. They did a goid job with the female Dr. Smith. :)
Mostly I was happy with the way they ended the series.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Personally I’m rewatching Babylon 5 and enjoying the show so much.

That is one of my all-time favorites. It may be my all-time favorite show. I'm very much looking forward to the reboot. I have no clue what to expect, but it has JMS behind it just like the original, so I suspect I'll end up enjoying it too. It can't come soon enough!

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
This week’s Succession was one of the best of the series. Could be my new favorite.

D

Deleted member 215

Re-watching Lost. I began the re-watch a couple months ago, but I wanted blu-rays for the extra content and they were proving hard to find for a reasonable price. Finally got the last three seasons from eBay and now I'm watching Season 4 (which is probably my second-favorite season). :)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
[...] binging on GoTs, watched the Red Wedding last night with the Purple Wedding just around the corner. ;)

Say what you will about the last season, some of the plot resolutions (or lack of ...), but there are some fantastic moments in GOT, and those are definitely two (well, the Red Wedding is fantastically horrific).

This week’s Succession was one of the best of the series. Could be my new favorite.

Probably the best show on "TV" right now.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
If you have D+, check out, The World According to Jeff Goldblum, it's so much fun, he's a national treasure :) Simple concept, Jeff Goldblum deeps dives into something for ~30 minutes, in a way only he can, it's lightweight topics, products, foods, here's the description (which is pretty on point) from Google:

Through the prism of Jeff Goldblum's always inquisitive and highly entertaining mind, nothing is as it seems. In "The World According to Jeff Goldblum," each episode is centered around something people all love -- like sneakers or ice cream -- as Jeff pulls the thread on these deceptively familiar objects and unravels a wonderful world of astonishing connections that are both surprising and exciting. Through fascinating science and history, amazing people, and a whole lot of big ideas and insights, Jeff Goldblum provides an interesting take on the world.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Re-watching Lost. I began the re-watch a couple months ago, but I wanted blu-rays for the extra content and they were proving hard to find for a reasonable price. Finally got the last three seasons from eBay and now I'm watching Season 4 (which is probably my second-favorite season). :)
My son’s favorite show ever. He has the DVDs and watches it all the time.

Top Bottom
1 2